Dumb Windows Installation Question

TempestCatto
Go to solution Solved by TempestCatto,

UPDATE: @emosun @Statik @SkilledRebuilds @Zmax @Mark Kaine @homeap5 @Curious Pineapple

Sorry to tag you all but I have an update. It worked! All I did was use the media creation tool on MS's website and installed Windows 10 Home 64bit like I would any-other OS. It automatically found the key on the motherboard and activated itself, all without intervention. Thank you all for the help!

Hi all.

I have a client who has an Asus VivoPC M32CD-B09. It comes with Windows 10 Home 64bit, but someone else had installed a pirated version of Windows 10 over that. The HDD in it died and I will be installing a new SSD in its place. However, I'm not sure if Windows will activate. He does not have any original documentation that came with it, nor is there a license sticker anywhere on the chassis. I have no way of getting the key. So my question is, if I install Windows 10 Home 64bit onto this new SSD, will the key magically be there or are we screwed?

Thanks in advance.

He needs a key. Granted you can use windows without a key, you just have a watermark in the bottom corner. If he does want to purchase windows, for the love of god just buy a key on Ebay, it's $10 opposed to the $100 they charge at the store.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Got my key from this source.

Techyescity videos cos I'm Aussie like that

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

What you can try, before buying a license. Install the new SSD. Download a fresh version of Windows 10 from Microsoft web site. Do a clean install.

Then connect to internet,  do update of windows ,then look in Setting, Update and Security, Activation.  If you system is registered you will get this message there.

Message -->  Windows is activated with a digital license link to your Microsoft account.

You do not need to log in to account. Your version of Windows 10 is now legal.

This will work if you had a previous version that was legal.

35 minutes ago, Zmax said:

Message -->  Windows is activated with a digital license link to your Microsoft account.

Wouldn't this only work if he previously his Microsoft account to the PC before the reinstall?

42 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Got my key from this source.

Techyescity videos cos I'm Aussie like that

We may end up going this route if all else fails.

48 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Wouldn't this only work if he previously his Microsoft account to the PC before the reinstall?

You can try it and see what happen.  If you install  Windows 10 and you are not able to have a digital key. You can still  run it with very little effect.  Until you buy a key .

On 1/7/2020 at 3:03 AM, emosun said:

nope you'll need to purchase a license if you don't already own a key for the machine

If the machine originally came with win 10 the key is stored on the motherboard. 

The only way to get rid of it is by removing the motherboard.  I doubt a "pirated" win 10 comes with a key - I don't even really know what a "pirated windows 10" even is tbh.  

That's also why there aren't any stickers on PC cases with the key anymore BTW. 

On 1/7/2020 at 2:53 AM, TempestCatto said:

It comes with Windows 10 Home 64bit,

Dude, just install Windows fresh - it should get activated - I kinda doubt a "pirated" version comes with a key - and even then...  Tell your client pirating is bad and they need to buy a new key.  99% wont be necessary though. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/7/2020 at 3:40 AM, Zmax said:

What you can try, before buying a license. Install the new SSD. Download a fresh version of Windows 10 from Microsoft web site. Do a clean install.

Then connect to internet,  do update of windows ,then look in Setting, Update and Security, Activation.  If you system is registered you will get this message there.

I have several times reinstalled windows 10, never got that message,  never had a Microsoft account.  As long you don't change motherboards windows gets activated automatically,  there isn't even a notification for it. 

PS: oh you mean because it was a "pirated" copy?  Ok maybe. I'm not convinced that exists though tbh ?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

If the machine originally came with win 10 the key is stored on the motherboard. 

The only way to get rid of it is by removing the motherboard.  I doubt a "pirated" win 10 comes with a key - I don't even really know what a "pirated windows 10" even is tbh.  

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

Well the prated copy was activated with a tool called autoKMS, but Windows Defender eventually saw what it was and removed it, thus deactivating Windows. Reading into it, it looks the the tool just changes some things in the registry. So IDK, I'm just going to try 10 Home 64bit and see if it activates itself.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

Well the prated copy was activated with a tool called autoKMS, but Windows Defender eventually saw what it was and removed it, thus deactivating Windows. Reading into it, it looks the the tool just changes some things in the registry. So IDK, I'm just going to try 10 Home 64bit and see if it activates itself.

Yeah,  I would just try that! 

If it doesn't work because that aurokms thing messed something up ... well...? 

Then you gotta buy a new key obviously - which isn't even expensive or you have an old win 7 key laying around. 

I think it should work though. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/7/2020 at 2:53 AM, TempestCatto said:

Hi all.

I have a client who has an Asus VivoPC M32CD-B09. It comes with Windows 10 Home 64bit, but someone else had installed a pirated version of Windows 10 over that. The HDD in it died and I will be installing a new SSD in its place. However, I'm not sure if Windows will activate. He does not have any original documentation that came with it, nor is there a license sticker anywhere on the chassis. I have no way of getting the key. So my question is, if I install Windows 10 Home 64bit onto this new SSD, will the key magically be there or are we screwed?

Thanks in advance.

If you laptop comes with win10 then your license key is stored in bios. Activators do not use or modify bios, so if you place new SSD and install Windows - everything will be ok, your original key will be automatically read from bios and Windows don't even ask for it. Just do it.

I'll be activated using it's OEM license, failing that buy a cheap key online or just use it with the watermark (or remove the watermark and be a true pirate).

On 1/7/2020 at 3:31 AM, Statik said:

He needs a key.

Just for future reference, no they don't, windows 10 key is stored on mobo / bios,  you do not need to buy a new key every time you reinstall.

The only thing (slim chance) could be if this "pirated copy" (lol why) somehow deleted the original windows key. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

UPDATE: @emosun @Statik @SkilledRebuilds @Zmax @Mark Kaine @homeap5 @Curious Pineapple

Sorry to tag you all but I have an update. It worked! All I did was use the media creation tool on MS's website and installed Windows 10 Home 64bit like I would any-other OS. It automatically found the key on the motherboard and activated itself, all without intervention. Thank you all for the help!

9 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

cool

On 1/8/2020 at 3:06 AM, Mark Kaine said:

I have several times reinstalled windows 10, never got that message,  never had a Microsoft account.  As long you don't change motherboards windows gets activated automatically,  there isn't even a notification for it. 

It.s not a notification.or message --look in setting-update and security--activation ---  activation ............

I may have chosen wrong word, sorry

10 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

That is what I was wrote in my answer (and not only me). Nothing so surprised. Good that is working.