First AMD build since 90's?

KilgoreTrout

I think the Linus channel has become top notch and that's why I want to hear from the crowd here.

Need to replace my aging 3960X 1080 FTW after several years.. I game at 1440 now on the Swift PG279Q and have no reason other than HDR to upgrade so I could keep it but other than that completely scratch and meant for High End! No editing or Xeon/Threadripper stuff.

I really like what AMD is about these days but I've always been Intel and Nvidia since Pentium II and 3Dfx and ATI.

What I care about is high performance and smooth and stable. Which is exactly why I go with green team up to this point.

I have either builds based on 9900KS/2080 Ti OR, for what feels like a yellow light when leaving comfort zone: AMD 3950X and 5700XT..

I wanna have fun with it but realistically I want this thing to last me another 5 years with maybe a next gen graphics card but that's it.

AMD has just been so respectable but I don't care about that when it comes to performance parts

Is this just for gaming?

AMD doesn't have an upper hand in the gaming market for their higher end chips, the 9900k still outperforms in most games. However- AM4 does still have another generation coming, where z390 does not.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Intel has more single core performance, which can be important in certain workloads (games at high refresh rate, certain programs like Adobe premiere, etc.), while AMD has double the cores.

I think the +10% single core performance is not worth the core deficit, so AMD is the right choose for my workload.

The 5700XT is (excluding certain very specific workloads) much worse than 2080 Ti though. The 5700XT is more like between a 2070 and 2070 Super level of performance.

A 3900X vs 9900KS is probably a more fair comparison, but that AMD 'only' has 4c8t extra over the Intel chip.

Ultimately it will depend on what you are going to do, but both options will last you a good couple years before every feeling 'slow'.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

have fun finding a 3950x...

3900x is more reasonable 

i would still go with nvidia for gpu unless you are very budget concerned if you put in a few hundre more you can get a 2080 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

wouldn't go for the 3950x for gaming, just get the 3700x and the 2080ti. If you really feel like it get the 3900x, but that's it. GPU > Core Count

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

AMD isn't really top-notch when it comes to graphics cards, so def get a 2070 super/2080. On the CPU side, i don't really have much experience with high-end CPUs in general, so I don't have a recommendation there.

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

Right, yes agreed to everyone. I just noticed they are backordered (good job AMD). 

Thanks for responding everyone.

So, I'm 35 and I like the best of both worlds. I don't get much time to game but even if I get only a couple hours a week I want the experience to be hardcore level. But also I have kids that play and we have all smart devices and Cat6 in the walls so the computer is running the home too.

Where I'm at simplified, is that benchmarks show the highs but I hate computers that have microstutters that ruin gaming experiences. Which is why I left 2x 980 Ti's for a single 1080 FTW Hybrid cooling. Even if the Intel Nv benchmarks show what they always do - that they're on top - at 165Hz maybe that extra gap in performance won't benefit me in real world. Not to mention all the consoles now are AMD Ryzen and RDNA... 

I'm thinking, should I make a crazy move and just go all AMD high end 3950X? OR???? Could I just regret it 

13 minutes ago, KilgoreTrout said:

I'm thinking, should I make a crazy move and just go all AMD high end 3950X? OR???? Could I just regret it 

If you do multitasking as much(or close to) as you game, then get the 3950x. otherwise, intel may be the better option if it's just going to be used mostly for gaming.

also: linus just uploaded a cpu buyers guide if you want to check that out

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

8 minutes ago, KilgoreTrout said:

Right, yes agreed to everyone. I just noticed they are backordered (good job AMD). 

Thanks for responding everyone.

So, I'm 35 and I like the best of both worlds. I don't get much time to game but even if I get only a couple hours a week I want the experience to be hardcore level. But also I have kids that play and we have all smart devices and Cat6 in the walls so the computer is running the home too.

Where I'm at simplified, is that benchmarks show the highs but I hate computers that have microstutters that ruin gaming experiences. Which is why I left 2x 980 Ti's for a single 1080 FTW Hybrid cooling. Even if the Intel Nv benchmarks show what they always do - that they're on top - at 165Hz maybe that extra gap in performance won't benefit me in real world. Not to mention all the consoles now are AMD Ryzen and RDNA... 

Definitely get a Nvidia card as AMD is not *top notch* and unlikely to ever be, any high end AMD CPU will be fine though and as you already mentioned be ready to buy a new Nvidia GPU relatively soon when next gen cards are out (in my opinion it would be much better to wait until then but that's something you have to decide, or rather your wallet ) 

PS: I've seen comparisons the difference between AMD and Intel is tiny,  except Intel cost way more,  and in a way I think AMD with their multi core approach are more "future proof"  also.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity