Need a cooler for an i7-8700

murph0981

For a year now I have been using the stock cooler for my i7-8700. Is there a good cooler for under $50? (I don't want to do water cooling, and I don't think it's in the budget anyway.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" -Kernal Sanders
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer specs: i7 8700, GTX 1650 OC 4GB, 64GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM, Asus B360M-A Motherboard, Acer GN246HL Monitor.
Hardware: Razer Blackwidow V3, Razer Deathadder essential, Kraken Tournament Edition Headset.

Benchmark link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are a bunch of coolers that will beat the stock one.  I take it you want to overclock?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8700 won't really need much more as you can't overclock. If you can find a Gammaxxx 400 for 30 or under I'd probably just snag that

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

It's not a K series, but I am looking for an air cooler capable of helping temps on an overclocked K series. If that's not possible, I am looking for anything better than the stock one.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" -Kernal Sanders

Computer specs: i7 8700, GTX 1650 OC 4GB, 64GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM, Asus B360M-A Motherboard, Acer GN246HL Monitor.
Hardware: Razer Blackwidow V3, Razer Deathadder essential, Kraken Tournament Edition Headset.

Benchmark link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 hours ago, murph0981 said:

It's not a K series, but I am looking for an air cooler capable of helping temps on an overclocked K series. If that's not possible, I am looking for anything better than the stock one.

Are you getting a k series chip?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, murph0981 said:

What cpu did you have in mind? Why not stick with the stock cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 hours ago, murph0981 said:

...why?

I'd shell out a little more and get a Noctua U14.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, murph0981 said:

I guess what I’m saying is your non k chip will not benefit from a new cooler at all (unless you live in a very hot country, and then only maybe in the summer)

If you plan on getting a K series chip, why not wait and buy a cooler for it if/when you actually do it?

35 minutes ago, dizmo said:

...why?

This is a good point.
 There’s no telling what chip he might want to put under it if he does, so why not go whole hog and get something overkill that is guaranteed to be more than enough for anything.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

This is a good point.
 There’s no telling what chip he might want to put under it if he does, so why not go whole hog and get something overkill that is guaranteed to be more than enough for anything.

The nice thing about coolers is, like monitors, they can simply be moved from build to build, so it makes much more sense to spend once instead of buying multiple lower tier coolers over the course of many builds.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

...why?

I could ask same thing. U14S is not the best option if you plan to use it after few case changes. Pros: Good with RAM, Cons: Blocks 1st PCIe slot, height really is 165mm from base to top of heatpipes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

I could ask same thing. U14S is not the best option if you plan to use it after few case changes. Pros: Good with RAM, Cons: Blocks 1st PCIe slot, height really is 165mm from base to top of heatpipes.

Never had that problem with the D14 or the R1, and they're larger ?‍♂️

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Arctic Freezer 34 or the duo version of it. Cheap and the duo-one loses 2-4C to Noctua d15 while being a bit quieter when tested on an oc'd 9900K.

37 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Never had that problem with the D14 or the R1, and they're larger ?‍♂️

R1 is taller, D14 is 160mm. They do have more issues fitting taller RAM. But if I were to pick cooler now, I would go for max 160mm tall cooler for better compatibility with cases.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I Suggest for a Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK, it is compatible to your CPU yet check your ram height so that it wont hit the ram header or cover , surely it will cool down your CPU even though it is not a K series CPU or pick the be quiet TDP Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler, black looks good to any pc builds theme.