DAC/AMP for DT880 Premium 250Ω

OlekKing

So just got my DT880 Premium delivered to my doorstep an hour ago and i am simply amazed by it, this is my first high-end headphone purchase and i couldn't be happier for the price. Got it for 240Frs here in Switzerland = 196€ = 266$

So right now i do not have a DAC/AMP for it but i was surprised that my motherboard is able to drive it decently, volume isn't too low so at least i can use it for now.

I am new to the high-end audio world and i would like you guys to propose me a good DAC/AMP that works well for the cheapest price possible, i'll be using it primarily with my desktop for gaming and HQ music of course, i know there's portable oriented DAC/AMPs, i don't know if they are more expensive than the ones made for desktops but portability is not a worry for me, i want the cheapest possible that doesn't suck.

Just want to note that i'm amazed by the comfort of these cans, the material used on the ear pads is amazingly soft, i'm definitely happy with the purchase.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Afaik it just got discontinued.

What about the FIIO E07K ANDES? It's supposed to be good for portable use but it also works as a DAC and goes up to 300Ω, i reckon it would be good for desktop use as well because once plugged through USB it's constantly being powered.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Looked up the E10 but yeah it looks discontinued since every single retailer here doesn't have it available.

Looked up the E10 but yeah it looks discontinued since every single retailer here doesn't have it available.

I talked with a retailer who somewhat confirmed this.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

ODAC and O2 AMP, you can never go wrong with their clean and neutral sound altough you might find it boring.

It's not discontinued, it's just highly unavailable in many European countries.

That's the word I got from an official retailer ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

ODAC and O2 AMP, you can never go wrong with their clean and neutral sound altough you might find it boring.

Can't find those here.

Damn i'm already getting shivers listening to music with these headphones, when i get a DAC/AMP it's going to be something else.

Well can you at least tell me if the FIIO E07K ANDES is a viable option? They are decently priced here, about 80€

Been reading some reviews about it and so far only excellent ratings, people are saying that it's a great way to start off your audiophile hobby so to speak and that the portability is a plus which does not compromise usage with a desktop/laptop. Really seems nice. It's probably one of the cheapest i can get here.

If it's loud enough already, and there is no audible crackling or hissing, I don't really see much of a point in getting a dac/amp? sure, it'll be better, but probably not that much, the only thing that you'll notice is the extra volume, I'd say. as stated, as long as there isn't any audible crackling or hissing, and gets loud enough for you, it'll be just fine. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

If it's loud enough already, and there is no audible crackling or hissing, I don't really see much of a point in getting a dac/amp? sure, it'll be better, but probably not that much, the only thing that you'll notice is the extra volume, I'd say. as stated, as long as there isn't any audible crackling or hissing, and gets loud enough for you, it'll be just fine. 

It's loud enough in some kinds of music but there is a slight hissing with the windows volume maxed out when listening to music and it covers up detail. When listening to instrumental/orchestral music it's not that great and the hissing is definitely noticeable and it definitely eats some detail. I also thought i could be fine without one but i'll have to because of these issues. I have an SLI setup and lots of fans so it can get loud and it transfers too much interference to the headphones.

It's loud enough in some kinds of music but there is a slight hissing with the windows volume maxed out when listening to music and it covers up detail. When listening to instrumental/orchestral music it's not that great and the hissing is definitely noticeable and it definitely eats some detail. I also thought i could be fine without one but i'll have to because of these issues. I have an SLI setup and lots of fans so it can get loud and it transfers too much interference to the headphones.

try audio jack in back panel to reduce interference.

Can't find those here.

Damn i'm already getting shivers listening to music with these headphones, when i get a DAC/AMP it's going to be something else.

If memory serves There is an o2 retailer in Switzerland.

E: is this it: http://www.headnhifi.com/objective2

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

try audio jack in back panel to reduce interference.

Who's stupid enough to plug it in the front panel? Got it in the back but there's probably too much noise and vibration from all the stuff in my case.

If memory serves There is an o2 retailer in Switzerland.

E: is this it: http://www.headnhifi.com/objective2

This serves as a DAC as well?

This serves as a DAC as well?

The one I linked is just the amp, the separate amp and the combo unit should be on that site too.

But if you're strapped for cash or not willing to spend extra just the amp should do fine as the DAC on your mobo ought to be adequate.

But if you want the more expensive option would be to get both

The one I linked is just the amp, the separate amp and the combo unit should be on that site too.

But if you're strapped for cash or not willing to spend extra just the amp should do fine as the DAC on your mobo ought to be adequate.

But if you want the more expensive option would be to get both

Can't spend that money just yet, i mentioned the FIIO E07K and asked if it was a viable option, although i'm not really worried about portability it as a DAC and AMP and i'm seeing a lot of positivity.

Can't spend that money just yet, i mentioned the FIIO E07K and asked if it was a viable option, although i'm not really worried about portability it as a DAC and AMP and i'm seeing a lot of positivity.

Neither can I spend that money :)

As for the E07K I'm not that knowledgeable but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

But how much is the E07K in swiss frangs?

Neither can I spend that money :)

As for the E07K I'm not that knowledgeable but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

But how much is the E07K in swiss frangs?

About 100, that AMP alone is 40% more expensive. I just want to get accurate audio without distortion and be able to raise the volume of my new headphones, i don't need the best but neither do i want the worst. I've read some reviews or impressions whatever you call it, on HF http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-andes-e07k-portable-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-96khz-24-bit

About 100, that AMP alone is 40% more expensive. I just want to get accurate audio without distortion and be able to raise the volume of my new headphones, i don't need the best but neither do i want the worst. I've read some reviews or impressions whatever you call it, on HF http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-andes-e07k-portable-usb-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-96khz-24-bit

I see, For a good audio experience the O2 DAC isn't needed but I do fully understand that ~30 francs is not a small amount like 30 euros to me is not.

I'd say the E07K will work and give a good experience, but I'd also tell you to wait if someone has additional insight or better options :)

I see, For a good audio experience the O2 DAC isn't needed but I do fully understand that ~30 francs is not a small amount like 30 euros to me is not.

I'd say the E07K will work and give a good experience, but I'd also tell you to wait if someone has additional insight or better options :)

Sure thing, no real hurries here. I did hope i could get away without buying one but now i know i need one, plus it wouldn't really be worth it to spend so much on headphones if i can't get everything out of em.