How am I Supposed To Connect To This? (SOLVED)

The Old Myron Siren

I just picked up some monitors from an old friend of mine that he got from a car dealership a while back. The only way that I can describe them is ultra-ultrawides. They have one DVI connection and a few VGA connections as well. I was thinking of just picking up some DisplayPort to DVI cables, but I'm not sure if DVI can support this kind of resolution. I don't know what the exact resolution is, to be frank, so I've attached some pictures of what the monitor looks like.

20191112_212026.jpg

20191112_212046.jpg

20191112_212016.jpg

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

DVI is the newest thing that connects to it, it does support better display density than VGA, so as long as you adapt it to something that stays Digital, like DP or HDMI, you should be getting the best you can.  Given it looks more like a point of sale or business display, I would not hold out hope that it's 4K stretched really wide, it's likely going to be a little less DPI-rich.

i want a wide screen monitor but that is.......

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Just now, LogicWeasel said:

DVI is the newest thing that connects to it, it does support better display density than VGA, so as long as you adapt it to something that stays Digital, like DP or HDMI, you should be getting the best you can.

Awesome! So something like this would be what I would want?

Workstation/Gaming Rig - Asus Crosshair VI Hero | Ryzen 9 3900x | B | Zotac RTX 3090 | 1TB Sabrent NVMe, 2TB Seagate HDD

Home Server - Asus Strix x370 Gaming-F | Ryzen 7 1700x | 2x8GB DDR4 G.SKILL Trident Z RG | Zotac GTX 970 | PNY 120GB SATA SSD, Kingston 480GB SATA SSD 6x4TB HP MidLine HDD, Seagate 3TB HDD, Seagate 8TB HDD

Just now, Martin2132 said:

i want a wide screen monitor but that is.......

Exactly! I got two of em and I'm not quite sure what I'm going to use them for, but...... It's hard to not wanna just have them for the laughs.

The ones on the left are serial ports, not VGA

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 minutes ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

Awesome! So something like this would be what I would want?

Yes, that should work.  As an alternative you could adapt it passivly to HDMI and then use any HDMI male cable you want with this nifty little guy: https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Adapter-2-Pack-Gold-Plated-Converter/dp/B00ZMVGTA2/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hdmi+to+dvi+adapter&qid=1573616944&sr=8-6

13 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Just be aware that if the display requires both DVI links, it may not function properly or at all through a standard adapter, since normal adapters are single-link only. DP to dual-link DVI adapters are around $75–100.

Do you mean having both a DVI and VGA connection at the same time? There's only one DVI port on the thing. Or am I misunderstanding?

20 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Yes, that should work.  As an alternative you could adapt it passivly to HDMI and then use any HDMI male cable you want with this nifty little guy: https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Adapter-2-Pack-Gold-Plated-Converter/dp/B00ZMVGTA2/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hdmi+to+dvi+adapter&qid=1573616944&sr=8-6

I like that idea, a bit cheaper too! But I don't really have extra HDMI ports on my GPUs at the moment, both are being taken up by my other two monitors already, so I guess I'll have to stick with the DP to DVI cables then?

Is there a sticker with manufacturer info on the back of that? Might help in finding out what the actual native resolution of it is, which will matter a lot in how you can send a signal to it. The DVI connector is digital (no pins around the spade), and is dual link, so you might not support the display properly if your video card only does DVI single link (not meaning 2 connectors mind you, but difference in pin array in the DVI connector).

2 hours ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

Do you mean having both a DVI and VGA connection at the same time? There's only one DVI port on the thing. Or am I misunderstanding?

No I mean if DVI is running dual-link mode, which is required if the monitor needs more than a certain amount of bandwidth, but simple adapters don't support that mode.

14 hours ago, Euchre said:

Is there a sticker with manufacturer info on the back of that? Might help in finding out what the actual native resolution of it is, which will matter a lot in how you can send a signal to it. The DVI connector is digital (no pins around the spade), and is dual link, so you might not support the display properly if your video card only does DVI single link (not meaning 2 connectors mind you, but difference in pin array in the DVI connector).

It seems its a Tovis display, but their website is fairly unhelpful in terms of I formation. I tried googling the model number (L3849LE50N) but didn't get anything in terms of specifications. 

1 hour ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

It seems its a Tovis display, but their website is fairly unhelpful in terms of I formation. I tried googling the model number (L3849LE50N) but didn't get anything in terms of specifications. 

According to this it looks like a 1920×502 display. http://bisearch.com/products.php?prdcode=3

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

According to this it looks like a 1920×502 display. http://bisearch.com/products.php?prdcode=3

Wow, I couldn't find much of anything! As usual, my Google skills are sub par lol, thanks so much! I'm hoping that 10ft DP to DVI cable is good enough for the thing, if not, it's only 10 bucks so I can't cry about that.

1 hour ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

Wow, I couldn't find much of anything! As usual, my Google skills are sub par lol, thanks so much! I'm hoping that 10ft DP to DVI cable is good enough for the thing, if not, it's only 10 bucks so I can't cry about that.

Should be fine I think :)

4 hours ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

I'm hoping that 10ft DP to DVI cable is good enough for the thing

When you fire it up post pics, and update on what you're able to use it for.  It's kind of a neat monstrosity for a business display unit.

...or industrial application

9 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

When you fire it up post pics, and update on what you're able to use it for.  It's kind of a neat monstrosity for a business display unit.

14 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

Will do! I have two of them and I'm planning on adding them above my desk. The cables are in the mail so all I need to do is swing over to Home Depot and pick up some mounting hardware.

Wow, that resolution...

All the width of a 1080p display, with just a bit more height than an old 640x480 4:3 CRT. Not exactly an ideal display for gaming. Probably would be nice for video or audio editing if you could move the timeline display onto it as a discreet thing.

4 hours ago, Euchre said:

Wow, that resolution...

All the width of a 1080p display, with just a bit more height than an old 640x480 4:3 CRT. Not exactly an ideal display for gaming. Probably would be nice for video or audio editing if you could move the timeline display onto it as a discreet thing.

That's what I'm hoping for! The brackets came in today to wall mount them and the cables should be in tomorrow. Fingers crossed! 

I got everything hooked up, so pictures will be inbound! Should I just share em on this post or make a new post in another category? Don't usually do build/setup posts, so I'm not sure what the protocol is.

3 hours ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

Should I just share em on this post

Yes, if you really wanted you could update the post title to attract new viewers, but since you have the cable situation handled may as well keep the thread rolling.

3 hours ago, The Old Myron Siren said:

not sure what the protocol is

Since it's your thread it's your call.