SSD not showing full capacity after cloning

oxslate
Go to solution Solved by Alesek,
7 minutes ago, oxslate said:

when i right click it the "extend volume" option is grayed out and i cant click it. Only shrink volume

Thats probably because the unallocated space is not right next to the C volume. You can move it around and extend it but you will need some 3rd party software, like EaseUS Partition Master or whatever else you can find

I cloned my 120GB SSD to my new 250GB Samsung EVO SSD but now when I open up my file explorer, it only shows that 109GB is available.ssd.thumb.png.0d24b4c30d70e4f16a9b4f02ef934df1.pngssd2.thumb.png.cec34f7d0864541c501679a2b7e06b6b.pngssd23.thumb.png.285a2fbd1e9aaeec2f0f5bd9e7420d11.png

In the last pic you can see that there is roughly 120 gb allocated. I htink if you right click on it, you can allocate it to the drive IIRC.

Just now, monjessenstein said:

In the last pic you can see that there is roughly 120 gb allocated. I htink if you right click on it, you can allocate it to the drive IIRC.

Better to rightclick the existing C partition and expand it so you wont get another partition, but thats indeed whats going on.

You may be able to format the unallocated space, thus adding it to your usable storage.

When you cloned it, it likely only used the space necessary to perform the cloning.

6 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

Better to rightclick the existing C partition and expand it so you wont get another partition, but thats indeed whats going on.

when i right click it the "extend volume" option is grayed out and i cant click it. Only shrink volume

1 minute ago, oxslate said:

Strange, can you make a screenshot of that menu when you rightclick it? Just curious what options are showing...

7 minutes ago, oxslate said:

Thats probably because the unallocated space is not right next to the C volume. You can move it around and extend it but you will need some 3rd party software, like EaseUS Partition Master or whatever else you can find

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

3 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

Strange, can you make a screenshot of that menu when you rightclick it? Just curious what options are showing...

1865295969_Annotation2019-11-05185542.png.77184501f657f56a8a0890b069ee8e51.png698001707_Annotation2019-11-05185558.png.43e714e402c56487fc0b296413b772c2.png

Interesting...

Maybe it would work if you made a new simple volume of the unallocated space, delete that new volume and try again? 

You can't enlarge C  because that Recovery  partition is right new to it.

You need to use a partition manager software to move the Recovery partition all the way to the right.

After you do this, the black "Unallocated" area will be near the C partition and you'll be able to enlarge the C partition to the maximum

So it's most likely two steps you have to do.

I don't know what software is best to use these days.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can't enlarge C  because that Recovery  partition is right new to it.

You need to use a partition manager software to move the Recovery partition all the way to the right.

After you do this, the black "Unallocated" area will be near the C partition and you'll be able to enlarge the C partition to the maximum

So it's most likely two steps you have to do.

I don't know what software is best to use these days.

I just tried my suggested solution on my own drive and it doesnt work for me either so you might be right, I created an extra partition and my c drive can only be expanded if that extra partition is gone so that recovery partition is causing trouble... weird....

22 minutes ago, Olaf6541 said:

I just tried my suggested solution on my own drive and it doesnt work for me either so you might be right, I created an extra partition and my c drive can only be expanded if that extra partition is gone so that recovery partition is causing trouble... weird....

yup, it worked and everything's great now. Thanks!Screenshot_10.thumb.png.d68a945847df01de12409896f44d6abf.png