[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

Hello, could someone explain how come the Phanteks Revolt X is only recommended for systems up to 650W when it is platinium rated and is rated for up to 1200W, manufactured by Seasonic? It comes with a 12 year warranty

2 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

is only recommended for systems up to 650W

The reason for this is because Revolt X is single rail, and to be recommended above 650W it must be multi rail. By this list's methodology, at any rate. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Just now, Elisis said:

The reason for this is because Revolt X is single rail, and to be recommended above 650W it must be multi rail. By this list's methodology, at any rate. 

Alright thank you.

But isn't it better when there is only one single rail rated for the full marketed power of the unit (1200W in this instance) than multiple rails which could "easily" be overloaded by a user potentially unaware of it?

1 minute ago, oscar7601 said:

But isn't it better when there is only one single rail rated for the full marketed power of the unit (1200W in this instance) than multiple rails which could "easily" be overloaded by a user potentially unaware of it?

1: except if you work with single pcie cables, you'll have a hard time doing that

2: let's say the unit were to fail, and uvp wouldn't work (this is a very low ratio of fails), with a single rail full current would go through, while with a multirail it would be able to shut down earlier, hence my recommendation

Just now, oscar7601 said:

No, as the user is expected to be able to configure their rail usage properly, given that they have a system that requires 750W or more, and thus is most likely either HEDT, multi GPU, or both. If they don't have the sense to do a little research beforehand, I don't know what to do with them.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Just now, Elisis said:

No, as the user is expected to be able to configure their rail usage properly, given that they have a system that requires 750W or more, and thus is most likely either HEDT, multi GPU, or both. If they don't have the sense to do a little research beforehand, I don't know what to do with them.

I get that approach.

36 minutes ago, Elisis said:

If they don't have the sense to do a little research beforehand

people should be able to read a manual that is included in the PSU. 

and its not like the rails are configured in a dumb manner. as such you really have to be going out of your way to load up a single rail. 

2 hours ago, oscar7601 said:

Alright thank you.

The possibility of multiple rails to be easily overloaded is the whole point of multirail PSUs. With high-wattage single rail PSU you might not even trip it's overcurrent protection if smth goes wrong and shorts, so whole 1200W of power and then some would be consumed by that short, making nice fireworks. On the other hand, with multi-rail units which usually set 40A per rail (about 480W) this is less likely to happen, and with digitally monitored multi-rail PSUs (which presented almost exclusively only by Corsair for now) you can even set this point lower or higher as you wish, or disable multi-rail completely. Now, to trip 40W OCP in multi-rail units are highly unlikely with almost any GPU (except for smth like dual-chip AMD Fury maybe or some other GPU with insane transients) on the market (unless you connect two GPUs on the same rail for some reason) so it's not about inconvenience of less OC or smth but the other way around, you're getting more protection. There are other protections that might step in too, but why not have yet another one.

Edit: interesting read on this topic.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Hello, lurker turned poster here!

I swear there used to be a spreadsheet of all these PSUs with their respective protections/features/etc. checked off...was I just imagining it? I've been scouring the OP for hours and still can't find it...

2 minutes ago, MrIronGolem27 said:

I swear there used to be a spreadsheet of all these PSUs with their respective protections/features/etc. checked off...was I just imagining it? I've been scouring the OP for hours and still can't find it...

i used to do a bit like this, but the list had some errors in it, so i moved it back to a private part of the forum

and it was simply too much for the forum to handle well, as well as just to keep it updated

Speaking of which, I hear of people talking about surge protectors as a way to replace certain or all protections that one would expect a quality PSU to have. What would you have to say about that? I think I know a little bit about how surge protectors work but I'm not certain of how they would add to the protections a PSU already has.

15 minutes ago, MrIronGolem27 said:

I think I know a little bit about how surge protectors work but I'm not certain of how they would add to the protections a PSU already has.

a surge protector can't protect against

• over temperature
  • internal overvoltage
  • internal undervoltage
  • internal overpower/overcurrent

a surge protector is for outside "surge", not for what happens internally

so in my eyes they're not comparable to most, if any protection in a psu

On 2/24/2020 at 1:33 PM, Juular said:

All S12II and sub 750W M12IIs are group regulated, 750W+ M12IIs are independent regulation (rare example where higher wattage SKU are actually better) but lack a couple of important protections and in general (actually Seasonic claims complete protections set, can't find any reviews confirming this tho because it's very gold) are very outdated design, good for office PCs or smth with very low power GPU, like GT1030 maybe, but at least in US and EU, the price difference with smth like Corsair CX, CM MWE Gold and be quiet! Pure Power 10 are nonexistent, and those are way better.

In this Philippines, the price difference between Seasonic S/M12iis and CX/CXM, MWE Gold is around 15-20 USD and for some reason Be Quiet PSUs are hella expensive here. I was actually targeting the M12ii 620 because it was within my budget, fully modular, has Jap Caps, and the Seasonic name. Is the Corsair CX550M a better choice? How about the Masterwatt 650?

17 minutes ago, Somedude96 said:

has Jap Caps

That means literally nothing in indicating quality of a model in question.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

20 minutes ago, Somedude96 said:

Masterwatt 650?

If this is the Gold version as opposed to the White one, I would suggest going with either this or CX.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

23 minutes ago, Elisis said:

If this is the Gold version as opposed to the White one, I would suggest going with either this or CX.

It's Bronze. The TUF Gaming Edition.

Are the Gamdias Astrate and Kratos really Tier B+? They are pretty cheap here in the Philippines, they are much cheaper than Tier B lineup. Never heard of this company before. Are these units really that good and trustworthy?

1 hour ago, Somedude96 said:

Are these units really that good and trustworthy?

If you're that worried about whether the ranking is accurate, you can always look at the sources in the spoiler at the bottom of the post.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

1 hour ago, Somedude96 said:

Are the Gamdias Astrate and Kratos really Tier B+?

otherwise i would be lying

gamdias didn't make it themselves, rather they're made by Andyson, having a similar platform

3 minutes ago, MrIronGolem27 said:

Found this for Corsair CV, is this a suitable link to work with?

he doesn't even show the shots... very odd way of reviewing

even going off Jon's words goes further than this, honestly

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

he doesn't even show the shots... very odd way of reviewing

even going off Jon's words goes further than this, honestly

Never mind, on /r/buildapcforme right now and somebody gave me this link

I see now that there's basically zero actual numbers given with this

2 minutes ago, MrIronGolem27 said:

I see now that there's basically zero actual numbers given with this

i can tell you what it is already, the 450/550w are just vs but upgraded, and the 650 is likely something close to br or masterwatt

Jonnyguru, corsair's designer is around here