[EOL] PSU Tier List rev. 14.8

LukeSavenije
Message added by Spotty

For help choosing a power supply please Create a New Thread asking for assistance including your budget and system hardware to receive the best answers relevant to your specific needs.

15 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

haha....  Nice.

would ordering it now make me able to make the 10 year warranty claim with corsair ?

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

15 hours ago, Mezoxin said:

would ordering it now make me able to make the 10 year warranty claim with corsair ?

Image result for elmo shrug gif

I don't think manufacturer are forced to fullfill warranty claims that are put in product description by retailer, that may be simple error, it doesn't work like that. Contact Corsair support and ask if they indeed offer full-length warranty on refurbished PSUs which is doubt.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

3 hours ago, Juular said:

I don't think manufacturer are forced to fullfill warranty claims that are put in product description by retailer, that may be simple error, it doesn't work like that. Contact Corsair support and ask if they indeed offer full-length warranty on refurbished PSUs which is doubt.

I live outside the states anyway was just joking , but joking aside you have strong consumer laws in the united states and amazon is the biggest  retailer in the world  if you file a complaint you can actually get something from it  because this is a clear case of consumer fraud if they falsely advertised a 10 year warranty 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

14 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

I live outside the states anyway was just joking , but joking aside you have strong consumer laws in the united states and amazon is the biggest  retailer in the world  if you file a complaint you can actually get something from it  because this is a clear case of consumer fraud if they falsely advertised a 10 year warranty 

It's description made by retailer, there's no such information on manufacturer page except maybe somewhere in the depths of warranty policy, and even if it is it's almost certainly not full 10-year warranty. You can't expect PSU manufacturer to fullfill 10 years warranty on the refurbished product just because retailer said so, i pretty sure they've just copied product info from a new product without looking at it, Amazon style.

Just now, Juular said:

It's description made by retailer, there's no such information on manufacturer page except maybe somewhere in the depths of warranty policy, and even if it is it's almost certainly not full 10-year warranty. You can't expect PSU manufacturer to fullfill 10 years warranty on the refurbished product just because retailer said so, i pretty sure they've just copied product info from a new product without looking at it, Amazon style.

i meant taking it up with amazon apecially that this item is fullfilled by amazon  , they cant falsely advertise features that isnt there 

PC Part Picker

1 minute ago, Mezoxin said:

i meant taking it up with amazon apecially that this item is fullfilled by amazon  , they cant falsely advertise features that isnt there 

At best its retailer that would be responsible to replace product outside of 3-months warranty or return the money, this has nothing to do with manufacturer. And even then, Amazon wouldn't lift a finger without legal action, you'll spend more money on the lawyer here.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

At best its retailer that would be responsible to replace product outside of 3-months warranty or return the money, this has nothing to do with manufacturer. And even then, Amazon wouldn't lift a finger without legal action, you'll spend more money on the lawyer here.

yeah probably more than the 200$ youwill save on this psu ?

PC Part Picker

I mean it's good choice if you have some really budget build with used high-power draw GPU that wouldn't lift up with PSU you can get for 50$ new. Otherwise, losing 10 years warranty for saving 30$ aren't a good choice.

17 minutes ago, Juular said:

I mean it's good choice if you have some really budget build with used high-power draw GPU that wouldn't lift up with PSU you can get for 50$ new. Otherwise, losing 10 years warranty for saving 30$ aren't a good choice.

the new rmi 650 retails for 170$ on amazon and the renewed is for 50$ , you are saving 120$ not 30$ , and most faliures behaviors go by what is known in reliability engineering as the bathtub curve 

Fy6jrF2.png

so the 3 months amazon return policy should be suffiecient to show most manufactering defects ater that the probability of faliure goes down to a very low level comparitively and should reach the 10 year period without problems since it is already engineered to do so , 

If you buy it and stress test it in the first three months and it was problem free  then by statistical inference and probability theory you have a very good chance it would last you a very long time even longer than any other new psu in this 50$ category like the CX or VS that are engineered for a working period of 5 years 

PC Part Picker

2 hours ago, Mezoxin said:

the new rmi 650 retails for 170$ on amazon and the renewed is for 50$ , you are saving 120$ not 30$

You're saving 30$ over equally good unit of comparable wattage, not over Corsair RMi of course, smth like Corsair RMx (when they were cheaper), Seasonic Focus GX, Bitfenix Formula Gold etc. Which will have full-length, 10 years warranty.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

You're saving 30$ over equally good unit of comparable wattage, not over Corsair RMi of course, smth like Corsair RMx (when they were cheaper), Seasonic Focus FX, Bitfenix Formula Gold etc. Which will have full-length, 10 years warranty.

i dont know what happened with the prices of PSU's in the US market but all the products you said with 650w sell for at least 110$ now the bitfenix formula gold is almost nonexistant at US online retailers and its last price was around 119$

PC Part Picker

i dont know what happened with the prices of PSU's in the US market but all the products you said with 650w sell for at least 110$ now the bitfenix formula gold is almost nonexistant at US online retailers and its last price was around 119$

There's few 550W units for ~90$ tho, enough for any single-GPU gaming build, or Enermax Revolution DF for 100$.

Why is Seasonic Focus GX in Tier A? Was it tested not to have high ripple at 120% overload, which was the reason for Focus FX in Tier D+?

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Why is Seasonic Focus GX in Tier A? Was it tested not to have high ripple at 120% overload, which was the reason for Focus FX in Tier D+?

Phanteks AMP was tested, it's fine it seems.

Just now, Juular said:

Phanteks AMP was tested, it's fine it seems.

Do you mean the review at Toms Hardware or somewhere else?

Because the review on Tom's Hardware doesn't test ripple at 120% load, where the issue with Focus FX was. Only up to 110%.

The Focus FX were also tested on Tom's Hardware and didn't have any ripple problems either. It's only because PCeva tested it on their equipment at 120%.

9 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

aris did note to have tested it up to opp/ocp trip, seeing nothing weird

and PX shuts off before that point is even reached, looking at the kitguru review

@LukeSavenije Do you think it would be usefuyl to  add the warranty duration as one of the requirements of being in a certain teir , as warranty is an indication of the overall component estimated faliure rate (wether random or manufactering or wearout faliures)  and also indication of the quality of components inside (for example 85C and 105C capacitors) , that would help diffrentiate more between something like a seasonic fx and corsair cx , as in realistic use case scenarious the seasonic fx will not be overloaded by 20% and will outlive the corsair CX due to having better quality components , I think in the end the user would benefit more from owning the seasonic fx than he would if he owned the cx 

you have to give the probability of an event a weight in your overall scoring for the PSU and not just a consequence based scoring 

PC Part Picker

2 minutes ago, Mezoxin said:

Do you think it would be usefuyl to  add the warranty duration as one of the requirements of being in a certain teir

In some markets manufacturers are bound to have minimal warranty duration, it's not an indication of quality by any means. Sure, units with 10 years warranty will likely have better quality than 5 yr. ones but it doesn't work the other way around (Phanteks AMP vs Seasonic Focus GX for example, same platform, different warranty).

Do you think it would be usefuyl to  add the warranty duration as one of the requirements of being in a certain teir

i do not

warranty length doesn't indicate much for me, and warranty policy gets to a level it gets too subjective in my opinion. temperature ratings are something i could potentially do something with, but warranty is irrelevant for me

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

aris did note to have tested it up to opp/ocp trip, seeing nothing weird

and PX shuts off before that point is even reached, looking at the kitguru review

Aris tested the same old FX and PX too, up to OPP/OCP trip, and also saw nothing weird with the ripple.

Aris tested Focus Plus Platinum PX 750W at Tom's, up to 138% OCP and 135% OPP, and saw nothing weird with the ripple. Then PCEva tested the same PX 750W and saw 268mV ripple at 120%.

Now Aris tested Phanteks AMP at Tom's, up to OCP and 135% OPP, and saw nothing weird with the ripple. PCEva didn't test it yet.

So you either go by only Aris' reviews, and put both old Focus and new Focus in the same tier (based on no ripple problems in Aris reviews).

Or put new Focus in no tier at all, because there is no proof the ripple problems are gone since PCEva didn't test it.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

bring me a loadtester and a scope, and i'm happy to show you

problem is that i have neither