I went AMD!!

nicklmg

Well this was a total waste of time, I only watched this video because I wanted to find an alternative to the aging Thunderbolt 2 standard to route my desktop across my house...

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

15 minutes ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Its only 300? Holy camole. Omniblock watercooling, PCIE gen 4, and the VRMs to support a 12 core cpu. Truly amazing.

Just kidding I was googling while working, looked at the wrong model....yeah no its $1000

46 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Just kidding I was googling while working, looked at the wrong model....yeah no its $1000

Aaaaaaand that makes more sense. Thanks for the update!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

59 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well this was a total waste of time, I only watched this video because I wanted to find an alternative to the aging Thunderbolt 2 standard to route my desktop across my house...

Hopefully the NDA on the optical TB3 Cables Linus is inevitably using lifts soon.

I've been trying to pull off this same setup and have been having trouble finding a dock with Displayport 1.4. My understanding was that CalDigit TB3 dock only supports Displayport 1.2, which wouldn't be able to run 144hz on that display (assuming it's 3440x1440 which it appears to be). Is that an unreleased updated dock or am I missing something?

at 15:30....I was surprised that Linus was surprised at why the Intel drivers are needed for TB3. 

Its not that the specifications are so similar that the Intel drivers are used...its that ONLY intel drivers can be used. The way the architecture works is that 8x PCI-E lanes are routed to the JHL7540 TB3 controller and that converts the signal. Since the controllers are all intel products, any implementation can only use an Intel driver.

And all the commenters on FP (didn't watch YT) who couldn't figure that out either.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Anybody have an idea as to how he keeps that closet cool with all those computers in it?

Canada? ?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

19 minutes ago, bigbadcrad said:

Anybody have an idea as to how he keeps that closet cool with all those computers in it?

When he posted his first home PC vid he showed room ventilation

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 hours ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Hopefully the NDA on the optical TB3 Cables Linus is inevitably using lifts soon.

Or whatever alternative to that it may be. 

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

6 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Or whatever alternative to that it may be. 

Pretty sure that's what it is. He emphasizes the two TB3 ports on the motherboard, talks about the dock working..... I could still be wrong.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:03 PM, Lurick said:

Yah, Thunderbolt 2 cables could go much longer. Thunderbolt 3 can go that long but nobody has yet come out with an optical cable for it yet. Right now the longest TB3 cable is 2m but I've seen TB2 cables go 30m+

Well if you google for optical thunderbolt 3 cable you find that they are working on it. Linus talked on wan show that he had received something from corning. IMO he have have the new corning cable. 

1 minute ago, Niznoob_sky said:

Well if you google for optical thunderbolt 3 cable you find that they are working on it. Linus talked on wan show that he had received something from corning. IMO he have have the new corning cable. 

Yes, I know it's in the works, that's why I said it hasn't come out "yet". He can't say because it's not officially released.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Back when I came out of the AMD closet it wasn't always socially acceptable to be on team red. Linus is just doing it now to get likes on social media. You know this is going to f-up his kids right :P 

Never would have thought Linus would get so excited over 2 cores...

2Cores.jpg.c57830dba167400fbbdb6910518e6ee7.jpg

Also you can tell a lot about a man from his YouTube suggestions... for example, this man has hobbies that all start with C's, Cars, Computers, and Cooking... with a random tool song thrown in for variety.

I might just be back after the last few years because Spez is an idiot and I'm making a point to start staying away from Reddit.

I'm going to guess that the cables that Linus is using are Corning Thunderbolt cables. 

Pair those with something like a Thunderbolt Adapter < https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thunderbolt-Adapter-DisplayPort-TBT3TBTADAP/dp/B019FPJDQ2/ > from StarTech. 

Super cool that it all Just Works™ out of the box,

Took you long enough.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

• 5 months later...

Any idea why Linus is not using Unraid for his home setup? Build a machine with two VMs and a server.

10 minutes ago, AudioOmen said:

Any idea why Linus is not using Unraid for his home setup? Build a machine with two VMs and a server.

some of it is thunderbolt. the other part is he has always kept the 2 PCs and the server separate. You've got a bit of a PCIE issue cus you'll need at least 4 for both GPUs and thunderbolt cards along with a board that supports 2. 1-3 for HBA.

maybe some 7 slot boards will work but I don't know of any with dual thunderbolt 3 card support on EPYC or threadriper

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 10/20/2019 at 12:49 AM, indrora said:

I'm going to guess that the cables that Linus is using are Corning Thunderbolt cables.

Super cool that it all Just Works™ out of the box,

he has but they haven't made an updated version public yet.

there is this being made https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1522225-REG/areca_cb_tb3l10_thunderbolt_3_optical_cable.html

there is driver issues last I remember.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

• 1 month later...

@LinusTech this is a slight necropost but given the leakage you experienced with your Corsair waterblock you might want to consider swapping it out given that there seems to be a major design defect as demonstrated in these videos by Major Hardware as well as this one by JayzTwoCents and another by Designs by IFR (personally I think that Jay understated the possible risk to hardware given his conclusion that it would take significant torque to cause a leak when the original video by Major Hardware as well as your experience and the findings of Designs by IFR all demonstrate this is not the case).

Given your showcasing of the Corsair Hydro X line in the past a video exploring the design flaw might also be an interesting follow-up (possibly including a segment on what people who already have the blocks could do to mitigate the risk of a leak and damage to their system - although it seems like 'getting a different block' might be the safest route given that it seems like it would be impossible to fix without some fairly major modifications to the bock).

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what Rack Case that is Linus uses?

Custom designed and manufactured.

F@H

GPD Win 2