i7700k Dangerous CPU Temps PLEASE HELP

Hello

I build a system and I am seeing horrible maybe dangerous CPU temps

I really need help and running out of ideas.

I see my CPU temp rise to 100C :(

My Rig

--------------------------------------------------------

CPU Type    QuadCore Intel Core i7-7700K, 4533 MHz 

Video Adapter    GeForce GTX 1060 6GB  (6 GB)

Motherboard Asus Maximus IX APEX

Ram DIMM1: Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200C16    8 GB DDR4-2133 DDR4 SDRAM X 2 16 Gigs Total

CPU Cooler NZXT RL-KRM22-01 Kraken M22 120mm All-in-one Water/Liquid CPU Cooling with Software Controlled RGB Lighting

Corsair Enthusiast 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits 1903

Things I have tried to lower the temps 

-Fresh install Windows 10

-Made sure no plastic thing on CPU or CPU cooler

-Changed included thermal paste to Artic MX4 

-Make sure CPU cooler is well installed (did this 3 times)

-Made sure there is no overclock on

-Made sure mobo bios is latest (1301)

-In bios set Asus multicore enhancement to disabled

-In bios set Turbo mode disabled

-In bios CPU Core Ratio from synch all cores to auto

-Reset all bios values

-CPU cooler fan does spin normally and air is pushed out

-CPU cooler is installed firmly and does not move

-Change from CPU cooler from

Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler

to 

NZXT RL-KRM22-01 Kraken M22 120mm All-in-one Water/Liquid CPU Cooling

Here are my info in bios no load

-Bios Temp CPU 51c

-CPU 4200Mhz

-Core Voltage 1.152v

Cpu temps from various sources attached

The one that scare me the most are the cam software temps

Im running out of ideas and cant find the issue.

I know the i7700k is horrible for temps (intel lottery) :( but still this is high for idle :(

Not sure if i should delid the CPU ,i know that would help..but still this cpu is new

aida 64 idle.jpg

CAM idle.jpg

Core temp idle.jpg

task manager idle.jpg

CAM with cinebench r20.jpg

Core temp cinebench r20.jpg

task manager cinebench r20.jpg

The CPU cooler fan does spin and i feel air coming out of it and it is indeed plugged

Have you checked the cpu it could be warped(not flat) so the cooler although properly installed isnt working properly and although ive never owned that case or seen reviews on it, im pretty sure it doesnt have good or even any airflow

In order of severity of issue:

1) Improper TIM application, make sure that the entire die is covered, and making contact with the cooler and the IHS, while generally I hate overzealous TIM application, I've never seen MAJOR issues caused by non-conductive TIM being over-used. Overheating typically occurs where too little TIM is used, so maybe add a bit more (This is very unlikely with thermal paste, and much more common with a liquid metal application, but it's certainly something that does happen).

2) Uneven or inadequate mounting pressure. While  it is possible to cause damage to a CPU by over-tightening, this is EXTREMELY rare. With direct die it's more common, but even then if you're using a proper mounting plate,  it's uncommon there. Try removing the cooler, and remount, one rotation per screw in an X pattern until finger tight to ensure even mounting pressure (This is an extremely common problem  and the most likely explanation  for 'most' overheating issues, but also annoying because it's not the cause for a significant minority of them). 

3) Bad pump. It's perfectly possible the fan is working, and the CPU has no issues, but if the water isn't moving, then it will quickly overheat. If the water IS moving it will still take awhile to overheat even if the fan isn't  running, because it has to saturate the thermal capacity of the water before it really begins to overheat. Usually when you see overheating, the main culprit is a bad pump more often then a slow fan, since even the radiator without a fan still does some passive heat dissipation.

4) Loop blockage. Kind of like a bad pump and with an AIO effectively just as bad. In this case your pump will run, and the fan will move, but if the AIO has grown something inside it obstructing the flow of the water/fluid, then you won't get good heat dissipation. Unfortunately, this one is impossible to test without taking apart the AIO, which voids the warranty, and is a horrible waste if it isn't the problem.

5) Stunted/Broken Fan. This doesn't always mean that the fan is not spinning, it could just mean it's spinning so slowly that it's not moving a significant amount of air through the radiator. If this is the case then you shouldn't IMMEDIATELY hit high temperatures if you turn the PC on from cold and start running a large load. It will take awhile to saturate the water in the  AIO, so this is a good test to see if this is the problem, if you do immediately hit high temperatures, it's something else... But if your temperatures just gradually climb and your AIO isn't keeping up, your culprit may be a shotty fan not helping the radiator cool fast enough. 

6) IHS issues/Stock Thermal Paste... I am hesitant to post this one, but I have seen bad thermal application within an IHS before, and while I don't generally advise delidding, if this is the case, some of your thermal problems could come from this. It's rare, but it's common enough (Less than one in a thousand but it happens), that it's worth mentioning. 

7) Now we're on the fringe cases, but not impossible. Some IHS's (Or in the case of direct die cooling, CPU dies) are not within the same level of tolerances as others. USUALLY this is something that would be caught by QA before the product gets to you, but things slip through the cracks sometimes. An uneven IHS, or uneven CPU die could result in the die having poor contact with the cooler or IHS, or the IHS having poor contact with the cooler. The only way to test this really is to get a micrometer and ask some other people with the same CPU and a micrometer of their own to compare measurements with. Assuming your IHS is within normal tolerances, then you have to delid to test the die... I stress this is VERY unlikely, but again not impossible. 

? If your cooler is working, and the CPU is within spec, and you're still getting temperatures like that with a proper thermal paste application and cooler mounting, then you're starting to enter the territory of borderline impossible errors. There are so many safety features on most motherboards and CPUs that pumping in the power necessary to cause that sort of heating without frying the CPU, or tripping one of the countless safety features on the Mobo is nearly impossible, and will almost always result in shut-down... However, I guess while at this point I couldn't give you a solid answer, if it's none of the above, you might want to check the voltages actually being delivered to your CPU by comparing the CPU sensors to the motherboard sensors with HWinfo... If you see there is a gross difference between the two values for your V-Core or CPUs integrated graphics, then you might have some one in a million fluke where the power delivery is screwed up and causing thermal issues... Power delivery problems like this usually have to get past safety features on the power supply, mobo, and CPU, so it's exceedingly unlikely... But as with the others I suppose not impossible. 

CPU | 8700k @ 5.1 Ghz, AVX 0, 1.37 v Stable, Motherboard | Z390 Gigabyte AORUS Master V1.0, BIOS F9, RAM | G.Skill Ripjaw V 16x2 @ 2666 Mhz 12-16-16-30, Latency 38.5ns GPU | EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper @ 2160 Mhz Clock & 7800 Mhz Mem, Case | Phantek - Enthoo Primo, Storage | Intel 905p 1 TB PCIe NVME SSD, PSU | EVGA SuperNova Titanium 1600 w, UPS | CyberPower SineWave 2000VA/1540W, Display(s) | LG 4k 55" OLED & CUK 1440p 27" @ 144hz, Cooling | Custom WL, 1 x 480x60mm , 1 x 360x60mm, 2 x 240x60mm, 1 x 120x30mm rads, 12 x Noctua A25x12 Fans, Keyboard | Logitech G915 Wireless (Linear), Mouse | Logitech G Pro Wireless Gaming, Sound | Sonos Soundbar, Subwoofer, 2 x Play:3, Operating System | Windows 10 Professional.

Can you feel liquid moving through the tubing when touching it?

Where is the rad mounted?

Try removing the front / side panels and see how much temps drop. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, PolskyMurillo said:

The CPU cooler fan does spin and i feel air coming out of it and it is indeed plugged

Just because the cooling fan on the radiator is spinning it doesn't mean that the AIO pump is working.

As previously stated by @Daharen and @WoodenMarker you need to make sure that the cooler is working and mounted properly.

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

@Daharen@WoodenMarker ty for the fast reply

I will try a couple of things and report back this week end.

Yesterday i removed my case front panel and i saw it drop im temp but not much.

Also Kraken M22 CPU mounting system comes with spacers,I am wondering if those spacers could be a couple of MM to high and might cause the cpu cooler not fully touching the CPU.Anyone had issues with CPU cooler spacers?

TY all

First of all, 

Check your water temperature in CAM. This will indicate if the heat from the CPU even gets to the cooler. And thereby indicate where the problem may be.

In CAM you can also check the  pump speed. 

Show us.

3 hours ago, PolskyMurillo said:

Also Kraken M22 CPU mounting system comes with spacers,I am wondering if those spacers could be a couple of MM to high and might cause the cpu cooler not fully touching the CPU.Anyone had issues with CPU cooler spacers?

TY all

Yes, the plastic washers should most definitely be installed for the correct mounting pressure. Please follow the instruction manual. https://sta3-nzxtcorporation.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/download/attachment/673/Kraken-M22-manual-122617-ver3_-_web.pdf

Have you tried to feel for liquid moving through the tubing?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Update

I can feel liquid moving inside the tubes of the AIO

Removed the AIO spaces and zero wobble in my CPU ,the temps are about the same

Remove side panel left,right and front ,the temps are about the same 

From what i can see (new pictures) my CPU was indeed well covered from thermal paste

At this point...should i contact Intel for a RMA or should i just delid my CPU?

TY @Daharen@WoodenMark

20191013_154121.jpg

20191013_154137.jpg

20191013_154149.jpg

20191013_154435.jpg

20191013_154449.jpg

1 hour ago, PolskyMurillo said:

Removed the AIO spaces and zero wobble in my CPU ,the temps are about the same

What do you mean by removed the AIO spaces?

Did you install the plastic washers?

On 10/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, Struck said:

First of all, 

Check your water temperature in CAM. This will indicate if the heat from the CPU even gets to the cooler. And thereby indicate where the problem may be.

In CAM you can also check the  pump speed. 

Show us.

I feel ignored.

6 minutes ago, Struck said:

I feel ignored.

All he had to do was just post and screenshot the settings and give them to you.  But he totally ignored it :/

Sorry about that missing info

-Kraken m22 comes with plastic spacers (second of my new pictures) I installed the AIO this time with out them,this did not change anything.

CPU id firmly installed and the is no wobble to is.

-I dont have pump speed/water temp info inside cam cam software ,am i missing something?

TY again

1344379192_CAMidle.thumb.jpg.c955ba1bada8988e0a67e43304e117ac.jpg

9 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

All he had to do was just post and screenshot the settings and give them to you.  But he totally ignored it :/

I am not sure if you are kidding or not.

7 hours ago, PolskyMurillo said:

Sorry about that missing info

-Kraken m22 comes with plastic spacers (second of my new pictures) I installed the AIO this time with out them,this did not change anything.

-I dont have pump speed/water temp info inside cam cam software ,am i missing something?

TY again

1344379192_CAMidle.thumb.jpg.c955ba1bada8988e0a67e43304e117ac.jpg

It seems that the CAM 3.xx does not show liquid temperature, when you are using the app in full screen.

image.png.2c364af9c1a75e0a00960579f4ee9fa5.png

Press the cooling tab on the left, then unfold pump section to see the liquid temperature.

Else try the newer CAM 4.xx and see what you think. It also shows liquid temperature.

1 hour ago, Struck said:

You're extrapolating your experiences from the Asetek coolers to a non-asetek product. the M22 does not monitor fluid temperatures.

Unlike the current Kraken X Series coolers, the new M22 does not include built-in fan control or liquid temperature monitoring

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nzxt-kraken-m22-review,2.html

9 hours ago, PolskyMurillo said:

To also help with diagnosis, please answer the following questions preferably with good quality pictures of closeups of the relevant regions.

- Where did you plug in the 3-pin fan header coming from the M22 pump

- Where did you plug in the 4-pin fan header coming from the M22 fan

- On the header(s) where you plugged in the fan headers above, what kind of fan curve have you specified (if any)

- Where did you plug in the 3-pin fan header coming from the M22 pump

3 pin is connected to AIO pump on mobo

- Where did you plug in the 4-pin fan header coming from the M22 fan

4 pin is connected to CPU fan in mobo

On the header(s) where you plugged in the fan headers above, what kind of fan curve have you specified (if any)

Not sure what fan curve are ?Or how to modify them

I dont have any luquid temp or pump speed info in v 3 and v4 of cam :( sorry

TY

On 10/14/2019 at 8:26 PM, PolskyMurillo said:

The spacers should be used. Make sure to also use the plastic washers. 

@Daharen@WoodenMarker 

Spacer where removed then put back with no change what so ever.

Plastic washers are used on the radiator 

https://sta3-nzxtcorporation.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/download/attachment/673/Kraken-M22-manual-122617-ver3_-_web.pdf

TY

All the help provided was helpful but sadly im still at the beginning.

Temps are still bad and i have done everything possible.

I need to figure out if I want to RMA the cpu ( they prob send me one with the same temps)

Or to delid the CPU

Any opinions?

2 minutes ago, PolskyMurillo said:

Metal washers are on the rad*

Plastic washers are under the thumb nuts used to secure the cpu block.