SSD dying prematurely due to Windows?

nubajj

Hello,

I bought a laptop in 2018 April and I sometimes check my SSD health from time to time. It turns out after one year, it's now at 67% with 7TB data written on it (HDSentinel)

How is this possible? How do I prevent this?

I didn't put anything on my SSD aside from windows 10. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

ssdhealth.png.cc5d407f887c6d4e98890f04141500a3.png

@nubajj

Windows 10 is pretty much famous for using alot of I/O but i dont think its this worse. What kind of tool do you use for SSD check?

Windows should do this automatically but you can check if disk defragmentation is really disabled for you SSD because this can decrease the life of the SSD by alot.

More info here : https://superuser.com/questions/1210453/windows-10-disable-automatic-defragmentation

7TB isn't actually that bad for a year's use. But you would be able to reduce it by moving the pagefile to another drive (if you have one).

@Electronics Wizardy

I assume this is what you meant (Attached image)

As for the SSD model, I believe it's this one. (OEM)

https://www.amazon.com/hynix-SC308-128GB-Solid-HFS128G39TND-N210A/dp/B07BGGDT9T

@Jarno.

I already disabled automatic defragmentation. I used HDSentinel, which is the one I believe to be most commonly used for this sorta stuff

Edit:

@Sakkura

I believe I did that, the pagefile is on my HDD. Which is why this seems far too odd. I believe I did everything I could to prevent it from deteriorating.

Do you have any other suggestions?

ssdsmartdata.png

2 minutes ago, nubajj said:

assume this is what you meant (Attached image)

As for the SSD model, I believe it's this one. (OEM)

https://www.amazon.com/hynix-SC308-128GB-Solid-HFS128G39TND-N210A/dp/B07BGGDT9T

Id just ignore it. THats not that many writes for a year, and that drives should last many more years with that workload. Keep good backups aswell if you care about your data.

@Electronics Wizardy

I see. It's just odd that it stated it has written almost 7 TB of data whereas I made sure to not "use" the drive as to increase it's life expectancy from the very beginning.

What does lifetime writes refer to? Because I believe it means any sectors/where data has been over/written.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, nubajj said:

@Electronics Wizardy

I see. It's just odd that it stated it has written almost 7 TB of data whereas I made sure to not "use" the drive as to increase it's life expectancy. 

What does lifetime writes refer to? Because I believe it means any sectors/where data has been over/written.

Thanks.

Id really not worry about ssd writes, they won't be an issue for almost all end uses, the drives can handle way more writes than there rated normally.

Check the manual for your drive for smart data, but normally lifetime writes is total data written to the drive