10gbit for 2 pc´s

RasmusDC

Sooo.. i really would like that my server and main PC are on my network with 10gbit, had it up and running in my old house, because i had a fiber modem and a 5gbit connection, so it had SFP+ connectors to support full speed, so converted it into fiber, and to a sfp+ 10gbe adapter in my main, since i downgraded in my new house to a crappy 1/1gbit fiber connection, i really don´t need the 10gbe, but i do love the speeds being good enough to actually run my steam lib. of my server, instead of my pc.. it does have 4 TB of SSD storage on top of the 30 TB old style disks

i have "OK" internal setup that i would like to keep.

run a Router from my fiber company of some wierd brand, that runs bridge to a Edgerouter ER4 (has an uplink sfp port) that is connected to a 16 port UnIfi 150watt POE switch. which supplies, a couple of cameras, a NANO HD and IN WALL HD for wifi..

so it actually works quite fine, so i really just want to add to it, all inwall cables have been exchanged from 5E to cat6 STP, simply because i had a 100meter drum of it, so cabling should be okay..

so i really do just want to add 10gbe between a computer on 2 floor and my server in the technic room.

this was the cheapest solution i could find... 

MicroTik crs305 

asus 10G card for my main pc (Base-T)

10GTEK SFP+ 10gbit for server

10gtek Unifi 3 meter cable for server to Microtik and another from Edgerouter to microtik and one from my 16 port Unifi to the Microtik, so it becomes a hub + it is going to get poe from unifi 16 port

a microtik S RJ10 RJ45 from SFP+ converter... so i can run cobber the 10 meters in wall to my server, the cabling that is in the wall..

are there something just wierdly much cheaper than this? looked a bit at 5GBit, that just looks way more expensive..

7 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

i downgraded in my new house to a crappy 1/1gbit fiber connection

Oh how the other half live ?

And here's me thinking I am lucky because I have around 70Mbit/s when others have it really crappy and around <2Mbit/s or so.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Personally I'd go fiber. For home use you can find pretty cheaper transceivers & fiber cable:

Transceivers

Fiber Cable

You could also look into cheap SFP+ NICs like the Mellanox Connect X-2 cards. These generally run a lot cooler than 10GBASE-T NICs.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

These generally run a lot cooler than Ethernet based 10Gig NICs.

10gbase-sr is ethernet, I think you mean less power than 10gbase-t

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Personally I'd go fiber. For home use you can find pretty cheaper transceivers & fiber cable:

Transceivers

Fiber Cable

Just saying you can get transceivers for much cheaper on ebay if your willing to hunt around.

Also Id personally go single mode, but thats just me. The cable can handle much higher speeds, and the os2 cables are cheaper too.

Just saying you can get transcivers

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

10gbase-sr is ethernet, I think you mean less power than 10gbase-t

Huh, Ethernet ≠ copper cable? I'm basically comparing how hot a Intel X540 gets to SFP+ w/ fiber transceivers. The controllers on copper cable NICs seem to put off considerably more waste heat.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just saying you can get transceivers for much cheaper on ebay if your willing to hunt around.

Also Id personally go single mode, but thats just me. The cable can handle much higher speeds, and the os2 cables are cheaper too.

Just saying you can get transcivers

And if you don't hunt around at all I see companies like HP pushing them for >$100/per. But hey I'm all for giving OP options. If I knew the names of some more modern retired SFP+ NICs for similar prices I'd name a few.

19 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Huh, Ethernet ≠ copper cable? I'm basically comparing how hot a Intel X540 gets to SFP+ w/ fiber transceivers. The controllers on copper cable NICs seem to put off considerably more waste heat.

Ethernet can be send of many mediums, most fibre optics are Ethernet(all the normal 10g+40G+25g+100g are all Ethernet).

Using cat* cabling needs more heat that fibre does or dac cables, but new 10g base-t is getting lower power than the older 540's.

5 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

downgraded in my new house to a crappy 1/1gbit fiber connection,

I have 150/10 service with a 1 TB data cap. So yeah, calling a 1 Gbps fiber connection crappy is like Bill Gates using $100 bills as toilet paper. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Where did you live offering 5gig and what router do you have? Just curious because a router that can handle routing 5gbps run more than this project. Aint no way and edge router is doing 5gig

Also yes, that is the cheapest way to run 10gig on your LAN

nope.. it is a danish company called gigabit.

https://gigabit.dk/

so 5/5 gbit is 499 a month so .. aprox 80 bucks, but 10000dkkr in getting it (1800 dollars), because you buy a specialized router that has SPF+ connections, but NO Copper based RJ45 connectors... so if you just get the 299dkkr 1/1 you get free signup, because it is just stock setup. (if you ask nicely you can get 10/10gbit)

the fun part with gigabit, is they are really much more flexible than my current provider, you can spec the router or modem you want, and they will support is, with current setup from altibox, i have to accept i have a crappy router before my ER-4 even though i have full control of setting it to bridge mode.

i pay the same for 1/1 here as i paid for 5/5 in my old house. monthly..

ended up buying a XG16, since i have unifi equipment, so running SFP+ lan card in server, and the cheap 10g asus RJ45 nic in my pc... i am pulling the 10gbit fiber based cable to my toolshed, although i will only be running a simple 1000mbit switch with a sfp connector in it, until i get the need for 10gbit in the toolshed.. currently i am only pulling ethernet for 2 Raspberry pi 4 running 4 3D printers, but might move the server out there, so looking at the "mikrotik" or what it is called 10gbit switch.

1 hour ago, RasmusDC said:

i pay the same for 1/1 here as i paid for 5/5 in my old house. monthly..

I guess I still don’t get how it’sa downgrade when you didn’t have a router that could route even 5 gigs.

1 hour ago, RasmusDC said:

so looking at the "mikrotik" or what it is called 10gbit switch.

There is a learning curve to them but I back them 100%

12 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I guess I still don’t get how it’sa downgrade when you didn’t have a router that could route even 5 gigs.

There is a learning curve to them but I back them 100%

i might not have explained correctly.. when i had 5/5 i had 10gbe equipment delivered from gigabit.dk they had a router 10gbe sfp+ ports, that i used for internal network in my old house, i used the "modem /routers" SFP+ port for internal with 2 SFP+ lan cards in my pc´s  i however sold it all, when i moved house... to the new owner of the house, since it was installed..

and went back to a 16 port unifi 150watt poe switch, in agreement with myself, that i would never used 10GBE for anything, however VM´s and other elements, made me want 10GBE internal again..