Thread For Tech Quickie Video Suggestions

2 minutes ago, 7_four_seven_4 said:

Ipv4 and ipv6 explained, and also WHY THE HECK I can't use my wireless MFD with my mac to Scan, can use it to Print, but not scan.  My research show its to do with ipv4 vs ipv 6 stuffs........

Because printers have been, are, and always will be spawns from the depths of hell.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Because printers have been, are, and always will be spawns from the depths of hell.

this may, or may not be the reason, I ordered everything for an 8700k z370 build.....it may be cutting off my nose to spite my face.....but fair suck of the sauce bottle, I wanna be able to scan!!! mac to PC ENGAGE!!!!

VIA Technologies (more specifically their x86 chips) and what they're up to today, new developments (?)

Honestly, I would find it super interesting to look at its performance (they sell what seems to be SoC-ish boards that do support Windows 10), and comparing to lower-end Intel/AMD chips and why this company is still somehow "relevant" - or rather still existing

Or do a build! That would be super cool to see what you come up with :D

I'll look forward to this if it ever happens...! :)

Plex transcoding - CPU/iGPU/GPU transcoding result quality comparison.. 

With the somewhat newly addition of hardware transcoding in plex it would be kinda cool to have you guys look over what the impact of it is..

Spoiler

YouTube blurry images

When I'm watching YouTube videos I almost always get a blurry display even though the quality is at 720p. This could be partly due to the fact that I have a VPN running at all times, TouchVPN to be exact. Also, I have forced 720p with the use of a Chrome extension (the blurry images still persist even though it's enabled)

It would be appreciated if a Techquickie video could be made about this.

Thank you.

could y explain where these leak of hardware and software coming from?

Would an enterprise HDD be beneficial over a regular desktop HDD? I've been thinking about this all day...

"How do Slow Mo cameras work"/"How do high frame rate cameras work"

TechQuickie has done a few videos on still and video cameras in the past (covering topics about different lenses, DSLR vs mirrorless, shutter speed, ISO, etc) but I don't think they've covered the topic of high frame rate cameras on TQ. It's starting to become more relevant as well since modern smart phones are becoming capable of recording in higher than normal frame rates to capture slow motion footage (iPhone has 1080p/240fps, and Pixel 2 is 1080p/120fps or 720p/240fps).

There was the LTT video where Linus visited the workshop of one of the Canadian high speed camera manufacturers to do a tour, however a more broader and TQ explanation of the gear may be worthwhile. You could probably reuse some of the footage you got from that video to help explain it in the TQ as well.

and no, this isn't a valid excuse for Brandon to buy a new high frame rate camera... Sorry Brandon.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Hello LTT, I'd like to suggest you do a video on "How speedtest works", where you explain the process of measuring your connection speed. There are currently not any good videos on the topic on YouTube.

Hello Linus,

You could maybe do a video about how a web browsers work?

Which includes: How a Webpage is being fetched when you go to a site, including like sending a message to the server, what the server does, what it sends back, and how a web browser renders it.

That would be really interesting I think.

1 hour ago, Maxemor said:

Hello LTT, I'd like to suggest you do a video on "How speedtest works", where you explain the process of measuring your connection speed. There are currently not any good videos on the topic on YouTube.

You just connect to a server, and download a file while measuring speeds. And upload a file while measuring speeds.

That would be a very short techquickie.

On 11.08.2018 at 1:19 PM, timl132 said:

You just connect to a server, and download a file while measuring speeds. And upload a file while measuring speeds.

That would be a very short techquickie.

I think that a TQ on "how Internet speeds and latency are measured" would be better and would make more use of Linus's analogies.

18 hours ago, Warrie said:

I think that a TQ on "how Internet speeds and latency are measured" would be better and would make more use of Linus's analogies.

But I think it will be too short, as it's relatively easy to explain. Still, if you can find enough info to talk about, then it might be a good topic, yes.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:54 AM, Maxemor said:

Hello LTT, I'd like to suggest you do a video on "How speedtest works", where you explain the process of measuring your connection speed.

Way better:

How ISPs are cheating on speedtests with traffic shaping. Not long ago it was possible in Austria to reach 100 Mbit+ results with a 30Mbit contract during rush hour but enough for a FireTV to run at 1080p (approx 5 to 8 Mbit)

CHKDSK would be a cool Techquickie episode. What is it, why is it necessary, what has to go wrong for it to be needed, what does it do, and how does it do it. Windows just ran one while booting this morning even though I had a normal day yesterday, zero abnormalities. I know I could just look it up on the internet but when I do that I want the suggestion to be your video. ♥

As fast as possible:

How old is two old for gaming?

factors:

dust build-up with old cases

cpu preformance degrade over time 

modern games hungry for better specs

constant new hardware being released

also software that is not supported

So all the variants do not get a straight answer but what will be the bare minimum for an over all use-able score.

18 hours ago, Amforev said:

Gaming on netbook. xD

how dare you even mention it

I make intelligent lights do cool things

Phoronix made a really interesting test of Win10 vs Linux on Threadripper 2990WX. Linux comes out a LOT ahead (we're talking in the ranges of 10-20% or more). I'm not saying this to be pro-linux, but with the previous threadripper and intel chips being pretty much on par between linux and windows, it seems Windows 10 support for the 2990WX is just very poor. Since most benchmarks are run on windows too, they probably don't reflect the true speed of the 2990WX at the moment. It would be nice to get some coverage of this!

PS, they also did a test with windows server 2016, same results there.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=1

6 hours ago, stingray454 said:

Phoronix made a really interesting test of Win10 vs Linux on Threadripper 2990WX. Linux comes out a LOT ahead (we're talking in the ranges of 10-20% or more). I'm not saying this to be pro-linux, but with the previous threadripper and intel chips being pretty much on par between linux and windows, it seems Windows 10 support for the 2990WX is just very poor. Since most benchmarks are run on windows too, they probably don't reflect the true speed of the 2990WX at the moment. It would be nice to get some coverage of this!

PS, they also did a test with windows server 2016, same results there.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=1

I would love to see this compared as well with some other benchmarks as well maybe include maxwell render's benchwell there as well? I'm sure a lot of people will be really interested in seeing the results of this processor on unbiased render workflows like maxwells compared to vray biased approach.