What are power phases and what are their effects on oc´ing

Hey ive been looking at two different mobos the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P (8+2 phase) and Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 (6+2 phase) what does this meen ive been told its got an effect on oc´ing but no why. Im planning on ocíng an AMD 8350 with a noctua NH d14.

They basically constitute a little power supply on the motherboard, and they convert the 12V supplied by the PSU to the voltage required by the CPU.

More power phases is a good thing because then the load on each power phase is reduced. That means they generate less heat, and that's great because heat makes them less efficient and stable. And in the worst case scenario, the VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) can even overheat and be damaged (in extreme cases).

So if you're wanting to push a component, it's always good to have more power phases.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Probably a question best asked to the almighty Google. It looks like Sir Roderick knows his stuff though so i won't bother with my half-ass explanation.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

It really doesn't matter with modern boards. Usually, it's just a marketing strategy if a board has more power phases (though in some cases, it actually is better). A power phase, put simply, is part of the power control on the motherboard to ensure that the CPU gets, clean, uninterrupted power to ensure maximum efficiency, especially at high clocks where power regulation is paramount. The Gigabyte has 10 (8+2) and the Asus has 8 (6+2), Asus say that their phases are strong, and high quality, as pretty much all of their M-ATX and larger boards have 8 phases. The number doesn't matter, it's the quality of the phases. At basic OC levels (~4.5Ghz or less), it really has zero effect on the performance and stability of the CPU. It might affect motherboard and CPU longevity, but the difference would be minute.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Probably a question best asked to the almighty Google. It looks like Sir Roderick knows his stuff though so i won't bother with my half-ass explanation.

What would be the point of the forum if everything would be better off asked to Google?

But @SirRoderick is right, the more power phases you have, the less stress there will be on each phase, thus resulting in more stable overclocks.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

What would be the point of the forum if everything would be better off asked to Google?

But @SirRoderick is right, the more power phases you have, the less stress there will be on each phase, thus resulting in more stable overclocks.

Not everything is. 

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

They basically constitute a little power supply on the motherboard, and they convert the 12V supplied by the PSU to the voltage required by the CPU.

More power phases is a good thing because then the load on each power phase is reduced. That means they generate less heat, and that's great because heat makes them less efficient and stable. And in the worst case scenario, the VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) can even overheat and be damaged (in extreme cases).

So if you're wanting to push a component, it's always good to have more power phases.

Ok so your saying that the Gigabyte is better for overclocking but cheaper at the same time SPLENDID WUHU thanks for the awnser i really like this forum it seems to have alot of active users :D

The only thing that confused me is that asus website said that it had a 6+2+2 power phase is this just a typo?

Ok so your saying that the Gigabyte is better for overclocking but cheaper at the same time SPLENDID WUHU thanks for the awnser i really like this forum it seems to have alot of active users :D

The only thing that confused me is that asus website said that it had a 6+2+2 power phase is this just a typo?

It is not a typo and Gigabyte is not better for OCing. The 6+2+2 power phase that ASUS claims is for the CPU, iGPU, RAM. My motherboard has 16 power phases, 12 for the CPU, 4 for the iGPU and a separate 2 for the RAM. OCing is easier on it and 5Ghz is not a problem. @SirRoderick explanation about the heat is a half true. While more power phases cut the stress or current load on each power phase the heat is relatively increased as there are more of them. For example a motherboard with a power phase design of 4+1+1 will produce less heat then a motherboard that has a power design of 6+2+2 or of higher power phase design combinations. The ability to OC your CPU however does not only rely on your motherboard but the whole build and more so your OC ability, know how, cooling solution and patience. I would recommend the ASUS motherboard as their build quality is better and OCing is easier but that is not to say the Gigabyte is terrible or not as good. The Noctua NH-D14 is a very good air cooler but make sure your case can close with it installed and that you won't get problems with the RAM clearance.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

It's real alright. I believe it goes something like 6 for CPU, 2 for RAM, and two for PCI?

and two for PCI?

This I'm not sure of.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

I don't actually think so… In the case of it actually being a real one it is at lest not something you would find on normal mobs/GPUs.

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

It is not a typo and check your other post about this.

It is not a typo and Gigabyte is not better for OCing. The 6+2+2 power phase that ASUS claims is for the CPU, iGPU, RAM. My motherboard has 16 power phases, 12 for the CPU, 4 for the iGPU and a separate 2 for the RAM. OCing is easier on it and 5Ghz is not a problem. @SirRoderick explanation about the heat is a half true. While more power phases cut the stress or current load on each power phase the heat is relatively increased as there are more of them. For example a motherboard with a power phase design of 4+1+1 will produce less heat then a motherboard that has a power design of 6+2+2 or of higher power phase design combinations. The ability to OC your CPU however does not only rely on your motherboard but the whole build and more so your OC ability, know how, cooling solution and patience. I would recommend the ASUS motherboard as their build quality is better and OCing is easier but that is not to say the Gigabyte is terrible or not as good. The Noctua NH-D14 is a very good air cooler but make sure your case can close with it installed and that you won't get problems with the RAM clearance.

Hey thanks for your awnser dident see it there when i posted again, it was very helpfull. I definetly going for the asus board as you reccomended i hope my build goes well :D

Hey thanks for your awnser dident see it there when i posted again, it was very helpfull. I definetly going for the asus board as you reccomended i hope my build goes well :D

I hope it does go well for you too.