Sony A6000 or Canon EOS M50

Hello. So I am considering buying my first camera, for now I am using the Huawei p20 pro which has really nice camera but I want to step it up a notch with a real camera.

I have concluded that either the Sony A6000 or Canon EOS M50 is my best option in my prige range. Both are at 5000 NOK with the kit lense.

Done my research on the interweb and I have seen that alot of people still recommed the Sony even though it is 4 years old. 

Was wondering what you guys and girls would recommend for a beginner. The camera is going to be used.on trips and on work etc..

I need to be able to send the pictures to my phone, but as what I understand both of them ha e the option to do that.

I am not a vlogger så 4k is useless for me, 1080p is good enough, if i am gonna film it is gonna be timelapses.

Soo help please to decide and advice me.

Thank you :)

I remember the sony sending pictures to a phone through an app, but Sony has stopped servicing them as far as a I recall. 

For a beginner I'd recommend neither, for 95% of people looking for their first camera, the answer is either don't buy one or get a used Canon 800d with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS off ebay. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

IF your just doing photo then 6000 if you plan to do any video, 4k or not the m50 is better in my opinion. the m50 is fairly new thought so the lense selection isn't very good unless you plan to adapt. sony is known for having confusing menus with can make it harder to learn but i haven't spent a lot of time with the m50 so maybe it's the same way

Don't Judge my spelling I'm dyslexic 

1 hour ago, Bustapalapano said:

The a6000 is actually still a pretty good camera to this day, but IMO the M50 is better, and the Sony kit lens is really, really bad. 

But will the kit lense work for me a while until i get better and then upgrade to a better ? 

15 minutes ago, Cookiey said:

But will the kit lense work for me a while until i get better and then upgrade to a better ? 

Yes, it works just fine when you are stating out. Still, I think the Canon M50 is overall the better camera. Better EVF, better interface, comparable lenses at comparable prices, flippy screen, better out of camera JPEGs. 

I am a huge fan of Sony mirrorless, I love my a6500 to death and it has served me well. But Sony's offering at this price point isn't really competitive. 

My real recommendation would be a used or new X-T20 from Fuji. It has the best kit lens of the three, the best available lenses, the best out of camera JPEG quality, the best controls, and consistent firmware updates from Fuji (for now). It is a little harder to pick up at first, but there is a really handy "full auto" switch that overrides basically everything when you need it. 

6 hours ago, Bustapalapano said:

Yes, it works just fine when you are stating out. Still, I think the Canon M50 is overall the better camera. Better EVF, better interface, comparable lenses at comparable prices, flippy screen, better out of camera JPEGs. 

I am a huge fan of Sony mirrorless, I love my a6500 to death and it has served me well. But Sony's offering at this price point isn't really competitive. 

My real recommendation would be a used or new X-T20 from Fuji. It has the best kit lens of the three, the best available lenses, the best out of camera JPEG quality, the best controls, and consistent firmware updates from Fuji (for now). It is a little harder to pick up at first, but there is a really handy "full auto" switch that overrides basically everything when you need it. 

Looks like the M50 is the way to go for me then.

Was reading abit about Fuji now and does anyone know how the Fuji X-T10 compares to the Canon and Sony ? Just saw that thr Canon is now 1000 NOK more then the Sony in Norway

If you're going with the M50, you'll have to consider getting an EF-M to EF adapter.

That's because the EF-M offerings are really weak as of now. There's just not a heap of nice lenses in the EF-M ecosystem unless you get the adapter, in which you then gain access to Canon's impressive EF lens ecosystem.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

My previous reply seems to have fallen on deaf ears, so let me reiterate, I have been into photography for the past 15 years, I have owned an a6000, a number of Canon dslrs and currently maintain a full Canon system with a secondary fuji xt2 system, after buying into it with the xt10 a couple of years ago, which would definitely be the only mirrorless system currently available I would ever buy, despite what the specs may suggest.

The m50 is a great little camera, don't get me wrong, but, the value proposition offered by an entry level dslr, especially the 800d, which punches way above its weightclass, is not one to ignore. The 800d is more reliable, has more features than most will ever need, is more robust, its battery lasts longer and has native compatibility with the most extensive lens system ever created, working with all lenses made since 1987. The used market is littered with great options, going for much cheaper than the systems you are talking about. 

Whatsmore, it is really not that bigger than a mirrorless system. It is definitely what you should go with for those reasons. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

7 hours ago, cc143 said:

after buying into it with the xt10 a couple of years ago, which would definitely be the only mirrorless system currently available I would ever buy, despite what the specs may suggest.

The X system is really the only legitimate choice for enthusiasts wanting a good crop system with the lenses to match. 

Everything else seems catered towards the lower end of the spectrum lest you attach lenses made for the 35mm bodies 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Was posting in a different forum aswell and someone recommend the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80 

Anyone have some experience with this or any info about it ?

It is in the same price range as the sony and canon

12 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

The X system is really the only legitimate choice for enthusiasts wanting a good crop system with the lenses to match. 

Everything else seems catered towards the lower end of the spectrum lest you attach lenses made for the 35mm bodies 

I wouldn't buy a Sony FF either, in fact holding one in my hands, I decided to go for a 4 year old used 5d3 instead. Maybe if Canon or Nikon get their act together, but still, I'm very happy with my dslr, I'd much rather just buy used 5d4s till I can't anymore, will save me money overall in the long run as well, dslr lenses are way too much cheaper now.

55 minutes ago, cc143 said:

I wouldn't buy a Sony FF either, in fact holding one in my hands, I decided to go for a 4 year old used 5d3 instead. Maybe if Canon or Nikon get their act together, but still, I'm very happy with my dslr, I'd much rather just buy used 5d4s till I can't anymore, will save me money overall in the long run as well, dslr lenses are way too much cheaper now.

Yeah, mirrorless isn't really yet at that point. They've gotten much better but DSLRs do have the advantage of being very far into maturity 

Oh nice!! I would definitely pick the M50!
- It has very fast AF as well so it's great for vlogging / and interview type situations!! 

Over all conclusion it's really great, but you could still go with a sony if you prefer the different brand and the difference in weight.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:41 AM, Cookiey said:

Was reading abit about Fuji now and does anyone know how the Fuji X-T10 compares to the Canon and Sony ? Just saw that thr Canon is now 1000 NOK more then the Sony in Norway

I haven't every touched an X-T10, but I have spent a lot of time with an X-T20 and I think it is a really great camera. Far better IMO than the A6000, and vs the Canon I think it is really down to personal preference.

If you are really looking to get into photography, I think the Fuji is a better choice long term. The X-T series is their main line of cameras so that is where the development focus is. But since this is your first camera and lens, you could easily change systems later if you end up not liking the Fuji. I think the major reason to go for the X-T20 is the kit lens is by far the best for mirrorless APS-C cameras at this price range.

On 7/2/2019 at 3:31 AM, Cookiey said:

Was posting in a different forum aswell and someone recommend the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80 

Anyone have some experience with this or any info about it ?

It is in the same price range as the sony and canon

I have had a little time with the GX80. Personally I found focus with the kit lens slow, and that the camera was uncomfortable to use. That may just have been my fault for not being familiar with the camera. The smaller sensor and mediocre kit lens make it a image quality loss compared to all the other cameras mentioned in this thread. Unless you want something very compact, I am not a fan of the GX80.

I am also an admitted M4/3 hater, unless your focus is video. So my opinion is far from "unbiased" with regards to the GX80. 

26 minutes ago, Bustapalapano said:

I haven't every touched an X-T10, but I have spent a lot of time with an X-T20 and I think it is a really great camera. Far better IMO than the A6000, and vs the Canon I think it is really down to personal preference.

If you are really looking to get into photography, I think the Fuji is a better choice long term. The X-T series is their main line of cameras so that is where the development focus is. But since this is your first camera and lens, you could easily change systems later if you end up not liking the Fuji. I think the major reason to go for the X-T20 is the kit lens is by far the best for mirrorless APS-C cameras at this price range.

How about the X-T100? Thats within my budget. Fujifilm X-T100 Kit 15-45mm to be exact

I went for the Fujifilm, got a good deal on it so. Thanks for all the help guys

On 7/4/2019 at 12:36 AM, Cookiey said:

How about the X-T100? Thats within my budget. Fujifilm X-T100 Kit 15-45mm to be exact

Ugh, the X-T100. 

I'll put it this way. Fuji makes a lot of great cameras. The X-T100 isn't one of them.

+1 on the Sony kit lens being garbage. Factor that into your purchase price. Otherwise, great camera.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450