Buy a Ryzen 2700 or 3600 for Gaming and Streaming?

Hey, i’m looking to upgrade from my old FX system, i have a fx 8320, and in over it. I’m looking for a processor, that i can stream on while still game comfortably. I currently have a Asus Dual 1060 6GB as my GPU and am not looking to upgrade yet. would the Ryzen 2700, or 3600 be a better buy for streaming, gaming, and editing? also, will it work on a cheaper B450 motherboard? Thanks for all of your help. 

Whichever of the two has the most cores will determine how good they are at gaming and streaming. And yes, a decent quality B450 board will work fine with a 3600. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

For the B450 board you might have too update the bios on it for the 3600 which will require having a AM4 socket chip e.g. (1000 series 2000 series ryzen based athlons) . Alternatively when you buy the chip you can fill out the AMD form for them to send you a CPU (that you have to send back) to update your bios. If you go the ryzen 2700 route you wont need to update your bios.

8 hours ago, Lefteh said:

For the B450 board you might have too update the bios on it for the 3600 which will require having a AM4 socket chip e.g. (1000 series 2000 series ryzen based athlons) . Alternatively when you buy the chip you can fill out the AMD form for them to send you a CPU (that you have to send back) to update your bios. If you go the ryzen 2700 route you wont need to update your bios.

alright, thanks. But ok still wondering your opinions on the best one to stream and game. 

6 minutes ago, Rebdamas said:

alright, thanks. But ok still wondering your opinions on the best one to stream and game. 

For smooth gaming and streaming 3900x. 
Unless you have like 2080TI or a capture card. 

Those extra cores on 3900x is golden for streaming.

But if you really have to choose between those mentioned. 
Go with 3600

PC Specs

Ryzen 7 - 2700x - 4.2 Ghz 

MSI MPG X570s Carbon Max Wifi 

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm ARGB Sync TT Premium

G.Skillz Trident Z 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Xtreme

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Corsair RM750x - 750W Gold

3 hours ago, Koxicain said:

Unless you have like 2080TI or a capture card

This is inaccurate, nowadays NVENC on just about any RTX graphics card has both the performance and quality for gaming and streaming without such dependency on the CPU.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

This is inaccurate, nowadays NVENC on just about any RTX graphics card has both the performance and quality for gaming and streaming without such dependency on the CPU.

OBS was also optimized.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

9 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

And that is also inaccurate. NVENC needs 20-30% Headroom for OBS to be able to stream 720p60 FPS. 
For instance i get 150 FPS in Pubg i have to lock that FPS to 100 to not get OBS to overload. And that is cause by the

headroom of the GPU not being there. 

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

18 hours ago, Rebdamas said:

Hey, i’m looking to upgrade from my old FX system, i have a fx 8320, and in over it. I’m looking for a processor, that i can stream on while still game comfortably. I currently have a Asus Dual 1060 6GB as my GPU and am not looking to upgrade yet. would the Ryzen 2700, or 3600 be a better buy for streaming, gaming, and editing? also, will it work on a cheaper B450 motherboard? Thanks for all of your help. 

Rainbow Six Sieg?

Or what do you want to stream?

Check the GPU Encoder of your GPU and see if that works.

As for Gaming: the 3600 is the best choice due to architectural improvements, though 3700 might be even better, if you have the money.

Cheaper B450? No, not really. You should look at the 100€ or more price region. not the cheapest of the cheap, the better ones...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Koxicain said:

But if you really have to choose between those mentioned. 
Go with 3600

um, you can stream perfectly fine on much lower end hardware. 

either it being ASIC based or software encoding.  so this is more missleading than AMD marketing comparing the 9900k and 3900x streaming. 

1 minute ago, Stefan Payne said:

Cheaper B450? No, not really. You should look at the 100€ or more price region. not the cheapest of the cheap, the better ones...

except at pro4 aorus m or mortar level, which can be had for less than 100

5 hours ago, Koxicain said:

I hope you're joking.

That's completely inaccurate, you don't need a 3900X and a 2080 Ti for smooth streaming and gaming, a mid-range build (e.g. R5 2600, 16GB RAM + RX 580) is able to stream 1080p perfectly fine. 

39 minutes ago, XR6 said:

I hope you're joking.

That's completely inaccurate, you don't need a 3900X and a 2080 Ti for smooth streaming and gaming, a mid-range build (e.g. R5 2600, 16GB RAM + RX 580) is able to stream 1080p perfectly fine. 

What games are you playing ? I would like for you to stream PUBG with NVENC or X264 (I see you dont have Nvidia card)
1080p 60 FPS perfectly fine on 2600 without a performance loss ingame. I have RTX 2060 + Ryzen 2700x 4.2 OC and i do take performance hit when using NVENC also when using X264 game depending. OBS on NVENC requires your GPU to have a 20-30% headroom or it will overload.

"EDIT"
And i didnt you need 3900x and a 2080ti to do it. I said if you have a 2080ti or a capture card 3900x

is not needed. I feel loses when i stream on a 2700x oc'ed to 4.2 on all cores i would prefer the extra cores.

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

I'd opt for msi b450m mortar with 2600overclocked,with 3200-3400 MHz rams(2×8gb dual channel) . Hekk, even 1600 would be a perfectly sound temporary solutiön. 

Later You can upgrade to 3600-3700, once the prices normalizes after initial release . I guess opening prices will be a bit dearer than praedecessor units, but will drop significantly within few months. 

If i were You 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

37 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

um, you can stream perfectly fine on much lower end hardware. 

either it being ASIC based or software encoding.  so this is more missleading than AMD marketing comparing the 9900k and 3900x streaming. 

But the quality will be there after. Theres only 2 good standards when it comes to streaming as far as i know and that is the new NVENC and X264 encoding. If streaming with NVENC OBS needs a 20-30% GPU headroom otherwise it will overload. which means you have to cap your framerates to make sure your GPU wont throttle OBS. With the 3900x you have the additional cores to actually do X264 encoding without loosing much performance. Your GPU can spend everything on the game and you CPU will be more than sufficient in playing games multitasking and streaming. 

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

@Koxicain here is your stuff. 

Spoiler
Just now, Koxicain said:

Theres only 2 good standards when it comes to streaming as far as i know and that is the new NVENC and X264 encoding.

thats also a lie. Relive or old Nvenc is perfectly good at bringing fine footage. 

1 minute ago, Koxicain said:

But the quality will be there after.

for streaming and youtube recording its perfectly good. 

5 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

If streaming with NVENC OBS needs a 20-30% GPU headroom otherwise it will overload

iirc Nvenc is ASIC based and only uses the ASIC and some bandwidth. altering some encoding settings will most likely help with any dropped frames. 

8 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

With the 3900x you have the additional cores to actually do X264 encoding without loosing much performance.

i can also just do it with an r5 1600............ and use the fast preset which is more than good enough. 

9 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

Theres only 2 good standards when it comes to streaming as far as i know and that is the new NVENC and X264 encoding.

except you dont really sacrifise the GPU parts of the GPU. you use the ASIC inside the GPU. it takes some powerdraw and some bandwidth 

19 hours ago, Rebdamas said:

3600 be a better buy for streaming, gaming, and editing?

for the moment, wait and see how benchmarks place the 3600. it might actually be the better choice. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

@Koxicain here is your stuff. 

Hide contents

thats also a lie. Relive or old Nvenc is perfectly good at bringing fine footage. 

for streaming and youtube recording its perfectly good. 

iirc Nvenc is ASIC based and only uses the ASIC and some bandwidth. altering some encoding settings will most likely help with any dropped frames. 

i can also just do it with an r5 1600............ and use the fast preset which is more than good enough. 

except you dont really sacrifise the GPU parts of the GPU. you use the ASIC inside the GPU. it takes some powerdraw and some bandwidth 

Alright so let me answer all of this. 

1. It is not a lie. Relive is a streaming program not an encoder. Old Nvenc is Okay but quality is not even near x264. 
You need a high bitrate to have it close.

2. Streaming - Depends on the game. CS:GO on a RTX2060 and 3600 60 fps. NVENC yeah works fine. PUBG 3600 and RTX2060 you will have to cap your FPS due to OBS will overload. Trust me it is happening to me. Now lets turn it around and do it on X264. X264 on Fast CS:GO will look pixxelated and be bad quality. Pubg you will see a huge decrease in FPS and look pixxelated.  Recording you can get away with because you can set the bitrate a lot higher than to twitch. 

3. I dont know much background about what its based on but you are incorrect. On my RTX 2060 the OBS will say Encoder overload if i max out my FPS in PUBG(isnt the only game TD2 also does this) This is because your GPU is getting maxed out and doesnt have the headroom to actually process your stream. You need around 20-30% headroom on your GPU to not have encoding overloads at least on my
RTX2060. The better the card the more room you have ofc. Encoding overload doesnt give you dropped frames it stops encoding entirely.

4. I'd like for you to stream The Division 2 720p 60 FPS x264 Fast preset. Either you have everything on low and play in 720p
Yourself. Or you like having 30 fps ingame. For a good quality stream Medium preset is a must and you need more than 8 cores on the same PC your gaming on to have that without loosing performance.

5. I dont know why you quoted this twice but okay. 
NVENC takes GPU headroom. If you dont believe me then open up taskmanager set OBS to NVENC and look in your performance tab.

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

2 hours ago, Adsome2007 said:

For gaming the 3600 and for gaming with streaming the 2700 because of the 2 extra cores

alright thanks, i appreciate everyone’s help. 

34 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

It is not a lie. Relive is a streaming program not an encoder. Old Nvenc is Okay but quality is not even near x264. 

no it brings fine footage. also i used the name relive as its a whole lot more known than VCE. 

35 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

Encoding overload doesnt give you dropped frames it stops encoding entirely.

sign of lack of memmory bandwidth. tweak settings and it should be fine. or OC memmory.

36 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

For a good quality stream Medium preset is a must

um, no............ fast gives plenty good quality footage...... as shown by GN when he explored encoding. 

37 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

NVENC takes GPU headroom. If you dont believe me then open up taskmanager set OBS to NVENC and look in your performance tab.

it does take some memmory iirc. its an ASIC afterall, but shouldnt occupy any shaders or any rendering the GPU does while playing games. 

38 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

you need more than 8 cores on the same PC your gaming on to have that without loosing performance.

you can get away with 6 cores on fast preset since you dont need any slower preset .

39 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

X264 on Fast CS:GO will look pixxelated and be bad quality.

think you need to tweak your bitrate. Fast brings very good picture quality. especially for streamers or anyone recording.  if you want to get your magnifying glass and compare each pixel, sure there will be a worse quality. just not for anyone actually watching the footage. 

41 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

I'd like for you to stream The Division 2 720p 60 FPS x264 Fast preset. Either you have everything on low and play in 720p
Yourself.

oof, that would require me to get the Divison 2. and a 6 core CPU. ill pass on that one. 

42 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

PUBG 3600 and RTX2060 you will have to cap your FPS due to OBS will overload. Trust me it is happening to me.

i can believe you. also the 2060 uses the same encoder as the 2080ti. iirc it should operate just fine providing it has the memmory bandwidth to back it up.  it could also just be game mode

also, chop up your quoting, it makes stuff easier. 

I think regardless of which you pick (both your choices should do fine) please wait until the 3000 series launches.  You will have the 3000 processors available, and likely see price drops across the board on the others.

Really exciting time to be upgrading!

I've got a buddy running a lower end rig than that, streams league, apex legends, a couple strategy games at 1080p.

Certainly a 2700 or 3600 would be able to hold their own for you.  Honestly I would go with whatever is a better deal, sell the 1060 on ebay and upgrade the GPU for an overall better experience.  With the SUPER (haha) cards coming out and navi, should also be a good time for a GPU upgrade too with prices on 2060's coming down.  Hell, go an all ryzen rig with a 2700 + the new 5700!

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

2 hours ago, Koxicain said:

It is not a lie. Relive is a streaming program not an encoder. Old Nvenc is Okay but quality is not even near x264. 

no it brings fine footage. also i used the name relive as its a whole lot more known than VCE. 

You could just say AMD encoding it might be more known but Relive is still not an encoder.

Encoding overload doesnt give you dropped frames it stops encoding entirely.

sign of lack of memmory bandwidth. tweak settings and it should be fine. or OC memmory.

Dude check my specs. Its not lack of memory bandwidth, im starting to think your a troll or just simply doesnt know enough about this topic?
G.Skillz TridenZ 3200mhz 16gigs. 

For a good quality stream Medium preset is a must

um, no............ fast gives plenty good quality footage...... as shown by GN when he explored encoding

FPS like CS:GO i wouldnt say good enough since i dont think NewNvenc is good enough.. And the higher resolution you got the more blurry it will get.

it does take some memmory iirc. its an ASIC afterall, but shouldnt occupy any shaders or any rendering the GPU does while playing games. 

Again you are wrong. The chip isnt encoding everything. This is without even streaming.
image.png.bd00ebc428ac49506274385c64dc6566.png

you need more than 8 cores on the same PC your gaming on to have that without loosing performance.

you can get away with 6 cores on fast preset since you dont need any slower preset .

OBS is taking 10-20% depending on whats happening on the scene with me. Divide that by 8*2 now add that to a 6 core CPU. OBS taking above 10-15% will induce performance loss easy depending on the game again. If you play a low CPU game your not gonna notice it but PUBG, TD2, CS:GO and other CPU intensive games your gonna feel it badly.

X264 on Fast CS:GO will look pixxelated and be bad quality.

think you need to tweak your bitrate. Fast brings very good picture quality. especially for streamers or anyone recording.  if you want to get your magnifying glass and compare each pixel, sure there will be a worse quality. just not for anyone actually watching the footage. 

Dude i run 6k bitrate. 

I'd like for you to stream The Division 2 720p 60 FPS x264 Fast preset. Either you have everything on low and play in 720p
Yourself.

oof, that would require me to get the Divison 2. and a 6 core CPU. ill pass on that one. 

Then whats in your rig? How do you know whats good and whats not? What are you comparing to? Videos ?
Im comparing to my computers and the stuff i encounter. 

PUBG 3600 and RTX2060 you will have to cap your FPS due to OBS will overload. Trust me it is happening to me.

i can believe you. also the 2060 uses the same encoder as the 2080ti. iirc it should operate just fine providing it has the memmory bandwidth to back it up.  it could also just be game mode

Same encoder but better on 2080TI because it has more power than the 2060. 

Happy ?

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

51 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

You could just say AMD encoding it might be more known but Relive is still not an encoder.

AMD encoding is VCE/VCN/Radeon Encoder. 

And as i said. Its for simplicity and for reqognition. 

OBS is taking 10-20% depending on whats happening on the scene with me. Divide that by 8*2 now add that to a 6 core CPU. OBS taking above 10-15% will induce performance loss easy depending on the game again. If you play a low CPU game your not gonna notice it but PUBG, TD2, CS:GO and other CPU intensive games your gonna feel it badly.

Its to be expected that it takes of some peak performance. 

Still doesnt change the fact you can stream perfectly fine with a 6 core.

Then whats in your rig? How do you know whats good and whats not? What are you comparing to? Videos ?
Im comparing to my computers and the stuff i encounter. 

Im comparing to what ive done with my quadcore and videos and benchmarks. 

Dude i run 6k bitrate

And 1080p 6k bitrate is more than good for simple gameplay footage. 

Same encoder but better on 2080TI because it has more power than the 2060. 

Nope, doesnt add up. Its an ASIC, its got the same powerbudget. Perhaps memmory bandwidth, but last time i checked the 2060 is fine in that department. 

Happy ?

About what?

Again you are wrong. The chip isnt encoding everything. This is without even streaming.
image.png.bd00ebc428ac49506274385c64dc6566.png

I think we all know taskmanager is not the go to tool for measuring usage. Also its the ASIC that handles stuff from encoding to decoding. Cudacores arent doing a whole lot while Nvenc is going. 

53 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

Dude check my specs. Its not lack of memory bandwidth, im starting to think your a troll or just simply doesnt know enough about this topic?
G.Skillz TridenZ 3200mhz 16gigs. 

Im reffering to the GPU. Not the CPU. Lack of memmory for the Asic could be an actual issue.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:55 PM, Rebdamas said:

Yes both will work on a B450 motherboard.

Which is better, wait for 7-7 reviews will come out then, till then it's just speculation.

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle