Crypto to put my PCs idle time to work

Hello, so I've never really mined before, but as my title suggests, my PC has a lot of idle time where it will at most be playing back Netflix, Hulu, or YouTube videos. I don't intend to take this too seriously but I was just wondering what would be a somewhat effective coin to mine with my rig and where to get started. Or tbh if there is a coin that has really low value but is somewhat decent to mine I'd love to mess around with that. 

My Specs: R5 2600, RX 580 4GB, 16GB 2666

My power cost is 11.81¢/kWh. I'm not necessarily looking to make money form this btw. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Monero or, yes, Dogecoin. Assuming Dogecoin still has its wonderfully low transaction fees.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I don't know what's hot or not these days. Haven't really done it since the boom. If you don't want to think too much, assuming nicehash is still a thing, that will pick what it thinks is more profitable for you and manage the process. You just need a bitcoin wallet to get paid into. I think they offer their own internal store too, but they got hacked a while back and I don't know if they rebuilt trust since then.

If you really want to do something more directly, they're all pretty similar. You need a wallet, and the mining client. Often you would also join a pool, which increases your chances of getting paid especially as a small miner.

One more thought, since it was mentioned this wasn't necessarily doing it for the money but making use of otherwise idle resources. There are distributed computing projects you can join. There's a whole load of different projects. See it as donating computing power towards causes. Folding at home is a popular one on this and other forums, runs on CPU and GPU. There's also World Community Grid on Boinc trying to help the world in various ways. Or maybe help solve a mathematical mystery by calculating through it. One of my interests is finding prime numbers, and finding some of particular forms could help close conjectures.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

One more thought, since it was mentioned this wasn't necessarily doing it for the money but making use of otherwise idle resources. There are distributed computing projects you can join. There's a whole load of different projects. See it as donating computing power towards causes. Folding at home is a popular one on this and other forums, runs on CPU and GPU. There's also World Community Grid on Boinc trying to help the world in various ways. Or maybe help solve a mathematical mystery by calculating through it. One of my interests is finding prime numbers, and finding some of particular forms could help close conjectures.

Yeah, distributed computing is what you want Dr!

PRIZES TO BE WON. 5x random steam keys and a 50USD steam gift card up for grabs. Read more here!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240