Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CollinCoulter

ISP help

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a problem that I cannot find a solution to.  I am trying to get an ISP plan, unlimited data prefferably.  But the only ISP available for my address is Cable One, So I try to get a plan that I would use.  But, when I put in the address for where I live, and it says there's already a data plan associated with this address.  And the problem with this is that I still live with my parents, being that I'm in Mississippi and 19, and they want me to pay for my own stuff.  But I want internet and there not another ISP out there that is available for my ZIP code.

- Offer your parents money and pay for their internet as well

- Or you can definitely have two separate services delivered to your house

𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂a

Just now, CollinCoulter said:

I have a problem that I cannot find a solution to.  I am trying to get an ISP plan, unlimited data prefferably.  But the only ISP available for my address is Cable One, So I try to get a plan that I would use.  But, when I put in the address for where I live, and it says there's already a data plan associated with this address.  And the problem with this is that I still live with my parents, being that I'm in Mississippi and 19, and they want me to pay for my own stuff.  But I want internet and there not another ISP out there that is available for my ZIP code.

Your parents already have an account for the house, looks like it includes internet.

May want to talk to them.

Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Hook up a router that gets its feed from their router and just tell em you're paying for it yourself. Ez pz

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 1700@4ghz | Gigabyte Gaming K4 | Corsair 3ghz 2x8gb DDR4

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H100i AIO

PC #2

AMD FX 8320@4.5ghz | Biostar TA970 | Vengeance Pro 1866 2x8gb DDR3

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC | MSI 180w Power Brick

Samsung 950 256gb | HGST 1tb

12 minutes ago, Slottr said:

- Offer your parents money and pay for their internet as well

- Or you can definitely have two separate services delivered to your house

Some ISPs don't allow more than one per household.

Main Desktop: Cpu - I7-8700k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Some ISPs don't allow more than one per household.

Sad if they are with an ISP that declines this, but then looks like option one would be the go to

𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂a

11 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Sad if they are with an ISP that declines this, but then looks like option one would be the go to

Yeah when I lived with my grandparents a few years ago, I had the same issue, the local ISP only allowed one connection per household. I just had my grandparents add me to the account and I took control, I upgraded the internet to the best service available which is what I wanted, my grandparents had been with the ISP for a long time too so they had a crazy good deal on it so I got a deal and they got free internet it was a win win.

Main Desktop: Cpu - I7-8700k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

50 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

Hook up a router that gets its feed from their router and just tell em you're paying for it yourself. Ez pz

You can also get a wifi extender if your parents don't know anything about routers and extenders.

43 minutes ago, Slayerking92 said:

I can't see a cable company not willing to sell additional services.  What did they say when you called them and talked to a live person?

Its not as simple as the OP just plugging a modem in. Cable internet requires the signal come in to the modem to be with in a certain spec. This is why generally you want the least amount of spliters between you and the modem. If the signal is not good enough with the current wire from the TAP to the home, then a second wire has to be run. Ariel that is easy, if the wiring is under ground, thats a whole can of worms. Then you have to hope the TAP has open ports to make this happen. But the biggest issue, the OP is not the home owner. That matters to the cable co, because technically speaking the OP cant authorize them to drill thru the walls. Plus the OP's address is most likely labeled as a single family home, which could confuse the CSR's at the cable co. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants.