Why are LEDs so bright?

LEDs in electronics are rated for output, so why manufacturers put in LEDs so bright that they are signalling Aliens from space I just don't get it.  Microwaves, Stereo Amps, PC, Routers, Kitchens.. Arggggh

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

I get your point, there really are LEDs that are used in devices that are just too bright (and cannot be adjusted).I think manufacturers are using those LEDs since they want them to be seen even in bright sunlight to avoid having customers thinking the LED/the whole device is off/broken while it is still working. Besides, using bright LEDs is cheap (both in terms of manufacturing costs and power consumption).

I know the feeling. 

You can always buy the kind of tinted film they put on car windows and cut that to the size of your microwave display etc.  Works just fine for me. 

On my motherboard I used black nail polish to completely black out the blue and green LED.  Black marker can dim small leds quite a bit too. 

Cloth tape can also be used to block most of the light that LEDs emit.  Very handy for routers etc.  Use electrical tape or nail polish if you want to black them out completely.

Just cover them with cloth or duct tape or something. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I just hang a sock on front of my desktop (away from the intake) to cover the bright LEDs if I'm running something (usually an encode) overnight.

My og 3DS is my bona fide Night Light, has been since I got the thing in 2010.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I keep electrical tape and dimming material (dark gray translucent plastic) around just for this. It drives me nuts. All my game controllers have their LEDs dimmed or outright covered up.