What Antivirus ?

What Antivirus should i chose ?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What Antivirus should i chose ?

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I typically stick with Windows Defender, or I go BitDefender if I'm going to pay for something.

Kaspersky is/was good too, but there's been a bit too much controversy about the Mother Land interfering for my tastes (And BitDefender was always just as good anyway).

I use to recommend Kaspersky to my clients but in the last 2 years ish I've had more problems with slowdowns and logs creation filling up the HDD. I now recommend Bitdefender and have not had any issues since.

44 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

one is Anti-Virus

one is Anti-Malware

there is a small difference. but essentially Windows Defender covers the Anti-Virus part. and Malwarebytes covers the Anti-malware part. its all you need to be covered. 

That's absolute nonsense. Antivirus = antimalware. There is NO separation today and it has been this way for years now.

Ok but honestly I think most people in the tech space will agree, that the best combination is

Malwarebytes + Windows Defender + common sense. 

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's absolute nonsense. Antivirus = antimalware. There is NO separation today and it has been this way for years now.

that is the case. 

though there is some slight variation. and from what i know Windows defender really only fullfills the functions of an Anti-Virus,. 

correct me if im wrong tho. 

I've always used Avast, that's awesome featured.

bitdefender free is good, but can be a little glitchy sometimes and is super bare bones.

22 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

that is the case. 

though there is some slight variation. and from what i know Windows defender really only fullfills the functions of an Anti-Virus,. 

correct me if im wrong tho. 

There is no magical special separation. They all detect everything, some more, some less within certain category. If one was called antivirus it would only detect parasitic file infectors. Which are very rare today and probably make up a lot less than 1% of all malware in distribution.

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes free version + uBlock Origin + common sense.

I only really run antivirus/malware scans when I suspect something may be going on, so I don't feel I need real time protection.

As for uBlock Origin, by blocking ads and popups it not only makes browsing bearable, it also makes it faster (browser doesn't have to load a bunch of trash) and it removes many of those fake links/popups that might infect your computer with malware/viruses. 

The most important thing, of course, is common sense. If you keep clicking on those "hot singles in your area want to hook up" pop-ups, no antivirus in the world can help you. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

You can literally have Bitdefender Total Security, for free, all the time.

You just need to reactivate the 90 days trial with a new email/account... even a throwaway temp email works fine for the account... And then you disconnect from your account in the application and connect back with the newly made account, suddenly you have a whole new 90 days.

So if you want some extra protections against things like ransomware and have a good firewall... Well there's that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Something I'll throw Bitdefender a bone for is that the free version has zero nags. Every other solution you listed will occasionally let you know that you aren't giving it money. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

12 hours ago, unsungheroist said:

you should seriously reconsider. those programs are only effective if you run them instead of always on blocking stuff before it even gets to the door. the way they work you must be infected first. unlike kaspersky. or the big brother of them all Norton

Norton is the biggest pile of shit, most intrusive, system penetrating, MASSIVE resource hog piece of software ever made. If you really think Norton is big brother ? ?

1 hour ago, CreamyCornCob said:

Norton is the biggest pile of shit, most intrusive, system penetrating, MASSIVE resource hog piece of software ever made. If you really think Norton is big brother ? ?

Anything from Symantec, including Norton, fits that description.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

deleted 

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

5 hours ago, CreamyCornCob said:

3 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Anything from Symantec, including Norton, fits that description.

i say big brother in the sense its overbearing. but in general i agree with all your statements, furthermore i speak from a large scale deployed environment. Symantec mainline software is just to heavy we only use PGP drive encryption  from them.  i only mention norton as a last resort or if your paranoid.

There is no enemy. The foe on the battlefield is merely the manifestation of that which we must overcome. The doubt, and fear, and despair. Every battle is fought within. Conquer the battlefield that lies inside you, and the enemy disappears like the illusion it is.

not to reserect a dead thread, but I work in an environment that uses symantec end point protection, it did not find what turned out to be a macro virus in a word file. the free trend micro house call software did.. trend micro listed it as a trojan from 3 years ago.. i'm now even less impressed by symantec.. didnt think that was possible.

48 minutes ago, DavidKalinowski said:

not to reserect a dead thread, but I work in an environment that uses symantec end point protection, it did not find what turned out to be a macro virus in a word file. the free trend micro house call software did.. trend micro listed it as a trojan from 3 years ago.. i'm now even less impressed by symantec.. didnt think that was possible.

You gotta keep in mind that any anti-virus will occasionally fail to detect things. That's not something exclusive to Symantec. Their enterprise stuff is better than the consumer stuff. We use BitDefender endpoint at work - we used Kaspersky before that (Before their reputation went to shit). And before that, we used McAfee which was garbage.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You gotta keep in mind that any anti-virus will occasionally fail to detect things. That's not something exclusive to Symantec. Their enterprise stuff is better than the consumer stuff. We use BitDefender endpoint at work - we used Kaspersky before that (Before their reputation went to shit). And before that, we used McAfee which was garbage.

I understand that, but it was identified as a 3 year old virus in a word file. If it was a new virus that had been released like a week ago, I would be more lenient. But a known virus, of that age should not have been missed by software from one of the largest anti-virus companies out there. Not their corp level product, any way.