Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BojanM

What Antivirus ?

What Antivirus should i chose ?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What Antivirus should i chose ?

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I typically stick with Windows Defender, or I go BitDefender if I'm going to pay for something.

Kaspersky is/was good too, but there's been a bit too much controversy about the Mother Land interfering for my tastes (And BitDefender was always just as good anyway).

I use to recommend Kaspersky to my clients but in the last 2 years ish I've had more problems with slowdowns and logs creation filling up the HDD. I now recommend Bitdefender and have not had any issues since.

44 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

one is Anti-Virus

one is Anti-Malware

there is a small difference. but essentially Windows Defender covers the Anti-Virus part. and Malwarebytes covers the Anti-malware part. its all you need to be covered. 

That's absolute nonsense. Antivirus = antimalware. There is NO separation today and it has been this way for years now.

Ok but honestly I think most people in the tech space will agree, that the best combination is

Malwarebytes + Windows Defender + common sense. 

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

That's absolute nonsense. Antivirus = antimalware. There is NO separation today and it has been this way for years now.

that is the case. 

though there is some slight variation. and from what i know Windows defender really only fullfills the functions of an Anti-Virus,. 

correct me if im wrong tho. 

22 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

that is the case. 

though there is some slight variation. and from what i know Windows defender really only fullfills the functions of an Anti-Virus,. 

correct me if im wrong tho. 

There is no magical special separation. They all detect everything, some more, some less within certain category. If one was called antivirus it would only detect parasitic file infectors. Which are very rare today and probably make up a lot less than 1% of all malware in distribution.

1 hour ago, BojanM said:

So am i good with a free trial of Malwarebytes for now or should i buy the licence ?

Chrome has a free malwarebytes extension, iirc.  Just use that, a free license, and windows defender.  Also, the primary difference between free and premium is real time protection.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes free version + uBlock Origin + common sense.

I only really run antivirus/malware scans when I suspect something may be going on, so I don't feel I need real time protection.

As for uBlock Origin, by blocking ads and popups it not only makes browsing bearable, it also makes it faster (browser doesn't have to load a bunch of trash) and it removes many of those fake links/popups that might infect your computer with malware/viruses. 

The most important thing, of course, is common sense. If you keep clicking on those "hot singles in your area want to hook up" pop-ups, no antivirus in the world can help you. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

You can literally have Bitdefender Total Security, for free, all the time.

You just need to reactivate the 90 days trial with a new email/account... even a throwaway temp email works fine for the account... And then you disconnect from your account in the application and connect back with the newly made account, suddenly you have a whole new 90 days.

So if you want some extra protections against things like ransomware and have a good firewall... Well there's that.

CPU: Intel Core i7 875k / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB  / RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GBx2 DDR3-1600
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D-e LX / SSD: Intel 520 120GB / Case: Cooler Master HAF912 / PSU: Corsair TX850w / OS: Windows 10 Pro

Something I'll throw Bitdefender a bone for is that the free version has zero nags. Every other solution you listed will occasionally let you know that you aren't giving it money. 

Intel 3570K @ 4.4GHz - Gigabyte 1070 - Samsung 860 EVO - 16GB DDR3

12 hours ago, unsungheroist said:

you should seriously reconsider. those programs are only effective if you run them instead of always on blocking stuff before it even gets to the door. the way they work you must be infected first. unlike kaspersky. or the big brother of them all Norton

Norton is the biggest pile of shit, most intrusive, system penetrating, MASSIVE resource hog piece of software ever made. If you really think Norton is big brother 🤣 😂

1 hour ago, CreamyCornCob said:

Norton is the biggest pile of shit, most intrusive, system penetrating, MASSIVE resource hog piece of software ever made. If you really think Norton is big brother 🤣 😂

Anything from Symantec, including Norton, fits that description.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 hours ago, CreamyCornCob said:

3 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Anything from Symantec, including Norton, fits that description.

i say big brother in the sense its overbearing. but in general i agree with all your statements, furthermore i speak from a large scale deployed environment. Symantec mainline software is just to heavy we only use PGP drive encryption  from them.  i only mention norton as a last resort or if your paranoid.