What are mechanical keyboards all about?

AndreiArgeanu

So, I recently bought a blue switch mechanical keyboard (my first one and I love it) and I've seen some other mechanical ones with red switches and didn't like them as they were similar to membranes and I was wondering, aren't mechanical keyboards all about the satisfying sound of the click on the keyboard and the feel of the non linear switches? I mean, I don't see the point of red switches and other ones which are similar to it as they tend to feel like membranes, but that is my opinion. I'd like to see what are your opinions compared to mine on switches like red ones as I can't seem to understand the purpose of them but maybe you can bring some sense to me.

I don't like red or brown either. I do understand it though. No everyone can stand the noise, nor can the people around them.

I'm a fan of the new era of switches. NovelKeys Box Jades, Pale Blue, and Navy. (They're clicky, but I don't care if anyone else gets annoyed lol)

There are so many styles. Then again, there are tons of people in the world. Everyone likes a certain sound and feel.

0G1A4927-Edit.jpg.37f7d551426877e9ff48c932ed4a3ba0.jpg0G1A4898.thumb.jpg.38e7893326f039f81aa4d9adc607b3dd.jpg

5 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I mean, I don't see the point of red switches and other ones which are similar to it as they tend to feel like membranes, but that is my opinion.

I'd love to type on some loud, clicky switches, but the people around me won't appreciate it so I have to stick with Browns :(

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

6 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

So, I recently bought a blue switch mechanical keyboard (my first one and I love it) and I've seen some other mechanical ones with red switches and didn't like them as they were similar to membranes and I was wondering, aren't mechanical keyboards all about the satisfying sound of the click on the keyboard and the feel of the non linear switches? I mean, I don't see the point of red switches and other ones which are similar to it as they tend to feel like membranes, but that is my opinion. I'd like to see what are your opinions compared to mine on switches like red ones as I can't seem to understand the purpose of them but maybe you can bring some sense to me.

Red switches aren't great for much other than gaming, IMO. The lack of any tactile click or activation point means that it's easier to tap at higher speeds. Like when you're spamming the same button over and over. And probably pissing your own team off. The same goes for black switches, which don't quite make sense to me. If the point of a red switch is fast key presses, why would you want what's in every way a red switch, just with higher activation force.

I'm a big fan of brown switches. I get a subtle tactile bump when typing, but they have a much cleaner feeling than blues when gaming.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I'd argue that reds feel notably different than membranes in that they feel very solid when they bottom out, while membranes are squishy at the bottom. Reds are linear so they require relatively consistent force to actuate and eventually bottom out, where tactile and clicky switches have a spike in the force required to actuate them. These spikes in the actuation force required to get past the tactile bump generally makes them "slower" when it comes to gaming, in a purely technical sense. Also, membranes do generally have a tactile feedback coming from overcoming the force required to overcome the rubber dome, but this varies greatly by keyboard. Most MX reds also actuate in the center of their travel distance, and don't have to reset a tactile bump, so they're quicker to reset making them better for rapid fire. Lastly, reds and other linear switches, like most mechanical keyboards, have much greater durability than membranes as well. So there are many reasons why someone would go with a red or other linear switch over a membrane keyboard. It has a lot to do with what you're comfortable with and what your use case is. I personally use a keyboard with Cherry MX Reds and I enjoy not having any tactile feedback until my key bottoms out, and it bottoms out with a strong and satisfying clack as opposed to a squish on a membrane.

To answer the question "What are mechanical keyboards all about?" I'd say that it's about having a variety in your keyboard experience. There's a huge amount of variety in the switches that are available, each with their own feel, advantages, and/or disadvantages. It's about finding the keyboard that fits what you personally like, for whatever reason you like it. At least, that's what it's about for me.

Reds are nice for gaming, but other than that I also hate reds. I have blues and I love them. They are slightly annoying to make sure they don't get picked up by my microphone, but it's worth it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Linear switches are meh. The only linear switch I like is the super light weight Gateron clear.  Because bottoming out with them feels tactile. Any heavier and it feels like typing on a sponge. 

I HATE blue switches and other click jacket switches. Not because of the sound, but because they feel awful to me, there is nothing about the force curve that I find appealing.  Its's all rattly feeling and has terrible hysteresis. Not at all fun to press. Click bar switch like the Kailh BOX Jade/Navy are an entirely different beast, however. Those do feel quite nice and the sound of them is also much more solid and clean. 

My true preference tactile switches that have strong tactility (Zealios V2, Outemu Sky V2.2, BOX Royals) , MX Browns can suck it.