Is this bad backlight bleed?

Darlok9

Hi guys.. Today I purchased an Acer  Predator 31.5 inches 2k IPS panel from Microcenter for $700 with their 2 year replacement warranty.  It has no dead pixels but some backlight bleed. I don't know how severe it is though.  My 27 inch Asus MX279 has absolutely no backlight bleed whatsoever and it only cost me $180.  Served me for 4 yrs but I decided to upgrade to slightly bigger panel, the Acer Predator.  It this considered bad backlight bleed?  Please help.. Thanks

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

That bleed looks pretty bad. Are you sure it's IPS? As far as I can see Acer don't make a screen with those specs.

If I paid $700 for a monitor, I'd expect my blacks to be black. That would be a completely unacceptable level of bleed for me.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

the big question is if you dont know if its bad it seems like it wasnt bad enough to bother you returning it.

the whole bullshit around backlight bleed is really over hyped on the internet, you needed to make the room dark and display ablack Picture just to see this.

How realistic is it that you do that on a daily basis and have something on screen where you would see this ?

20 minutes ago, Darlok9 said:

It this considered bad backlight bleed?

yes this is indeed considered backlight bleeding, it is common on non oled displays,nothing to worry about

12 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

That bleed looks pretty bad

its just looks ampified bacause of the image

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

2 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

How realistic is it that you do that on a daily basis and have something on screen where you would see this ?

Gaming...mine is ips and the bleed isnt that bad but it is noticeable especially when i play shadow of mordor..when i enter a cave its hard to see anything because of the bleed..it ruined the black level of the monitor..

But its something we have to live with if we are using ips panel..

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

It's https://www.microcenter.com/product/503503/predator-z321qu-315-wqhd-165hz-hdmi-dp-g-sync-curved-gaming-led-monitor

I can't tell yet whether it's bad or not, for me.. My eyes aren't 20/20 anymore and i don't pay too much attention to detail.  However my 4 yr old 27 inch MX279 ASUS has virtually no light spots and it only ran me like $180.... Not sure what to do yet... I literally hooked it up like 2 hours ago and saw this.. I'm disappointed.

16 minutes ago, Darlok9 said:

It's https://www.microcenter.com/product/503503/predator-z321qu-315-wqhd-165hz-hdmi-dp-g-sync-curved-gaming-led-monitor

I can't tell yet whether it's bad or not, for me.. My eyes aren't 20/20 anymore and i don't pay too much attention to detail.  However my 4 yr old 27 inch MX279 ASUS has virtually no light spots and it only ran me like $180.... Not sure what to do yet... I literally hooked it up like 2 hours ago and saw this.. I'm disappointed.

That is a VA panel not IPS.

For VA it shouldn't have that much backlight bleed, so return it and try again.

Backlight bleed is like silicon lottery, it is a gamble if you get a good panel or not.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

14 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

That is a VA panel not IPS.

For VA it shouldn't have that much backlight bleed, so return it and try again.

Backlight bleed is like silicon lottery, it is a gamble if you get a good panel or not.

Bought this Monitor kinda on the WHIM... Thought it was an IPS panel...  I will return.  Thanks for your help guys

15 minutes ago, Darlok9 said:

Bought this Monitor kinda on the WHIM... Thought it was an IPS panel...  I will return.  Thanks for your help guys

Easy way to guess is that IPS panels are usually not curved, i have not seen a single 1440p 144hz curved ips, they are all flat. 

There are some curved ultrawides which are ips thought.

18 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Easy way to guess is that IPS panels are usually not curved, i have not seen a single 1440p 144hz curved ips, they are all flat. 

There are some curved ultrawides which are ips thought.

Good to know bro ty.. This past month I put together an i9-9900k build and thought I'd upgrade my 4 yr old 1080p monitor. I was kinda stunned when i saw this one bleeding so badly.. My 27 inch 1080 that I purchased for like $180 has no backlight bleed whatsoever.

When I bought this 32 inch Acer I had them test the monitor for dead pixels at the store and there weren't any but they couldn't check for backlight bleed because of the lights in the store... I think i'll just exchange this 32 acer for the well renowned ASUS ROG SWIFT 27 inches IPS panel.. 

Btw, Is there a way to check for backlight bleed in a well lit store?  Not sure how to go about that. Microcenter is a 3 hour drive each way which will add up in gas + tolls.

26 minutes ago, Darlok9 said:

Btw, Is there a way to check for backlight bleed in a well lit store?

I dont think there is, the lights are too strong.

If not for the 1st picture which looks terrible in the top right, i would say that looks to be a VA panel, as there is no IPS glow, something that is present on ALL IPS monitors to some degree.

BUT

Any amount of BLB or IPS glow is bad in my books.

If your able to , I would suggest trying to take picture that represent what u actually see irl.  Stock Camera ISO settings tend to exaggerate BLB and IPS glow, and is different for each camera, so its hard to say for sure if its very bad or not.

5 hours ago, Darlok9 said:

Good to know bro ty.. This past month I put together an i9-9900k build and thought I'd upgrade my 4 yr old 1080p monitor. I was kinda stunned when i saw this one bleeding so badly.. My 27 inch 1080 that I purchased for like $180 has no backlight bleed whatsoever.

When I bought this 32 inch Acer I had them test the monitor for dead pixels at the store and there weren't any but they couldn't check for backlight bleed because of the lights in the store... I think i'll just exchange this 32 acer for the well renowned ASUS ROG SWIFT 27 inches IPS panel.. 

Btw, Is there a way to check for backlight bleed in a well lit store?  Not sure how to go about that. Microcenter is a 3 hour drive each way which will add up in gas + tolls.

You can ask to have the monitor taken into a back room or office to test it, a good store who wants a sale shouldn't have a problem with that. if not, get them on record stating that they will accept a return with no charge if you take it home and find unacceptable BLB / IPS glow.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

14 hours ago, Darlok9 said:

Mainly you should consider how much it bothers you... if it bothers you too much return it. Also judging a black bleed from a random photo (not in a controlled constant environment) is quite hard, sometime the bleed gets exaggerated.

On 4/14/2019 at 5:51 PM, brncrsh said:

Mainly you should consider how much it bothers you... if it bothers you too much return it. Also judging a black bleed from a random photo (not in a controlled constant environment) is quite hard, sometime the bleed gets exaggerated.

This is my oldschool Asus Mx279 1080p IPS.  I think it doesn't have much if any backlight bleed.  Correct me if i'm wrong

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG