Block after ~4 years without replacing fluid.

Greetings all.

Since iv just upgraded my GPU i decided to pull apart my 780 classified block to see how bad things were inside after having run it on just distilled and biocide for roughly 4 years.

The loop has never been drained and refilled. The liquid is still clear and clean in the glass rez. The loop uses white soft tubing and monsoon fittings.)

Before seeing the pic below, understand that i never experienced any loss in performance from the block. In addition there is absolutely no blockage in the fins or any 'gunk' or other buildup. What your seeing is purely corrosion, and, despite how it looks, its only surface corrosion its not thick or bumpy. This would clean up relatively well.

Spoiler

IMG_20190320_124256.thumb.jpg.6c8be62721d802982ff147ca2b544e31.jpg

IMG_20190320_124302.thumb.jpg.357963eb5aa56c5d24d333395820478c.jpg

Obviously if this were a clear block this would be no good for aesthetics and would have been dealt with as soon as it started to appear , but for opaque blocks this, while not desirable, hasn't affected performance or the clarity of the liquid in the loop.

I have not flushed my loop still, i managed to put the new block in without draining (I needed to leak test and check the GPU was fine as it was used, so didn't want to wait). My loop whilst soft tubed is a bloody nightmare to pull apart due to my jury rigged front rad (no native support). So since i need a replaced a piece of tubing anyway as its no longer long enough to have the new GPU block running in the correct flow direction (currently reversed), ill be tearing the whole system down and transferring it in to a new case that fully supports my rads, making it much easier to deal with in the future.

So yea, i don't recommend not flushing and cleaning your blocks at least once a year, but if u want a hassle free loop, u can just run opaque blocks and tubing, straight distilled and biocide, perhaps some corrosion inhibitor as well, and u should be fine so long as you fully cleaned/prepped the system prior to assembly.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

So yea, i don't recommend not flushing and cleaning your blocks at least once a year, but if u want a hassle free loop, u can just run opaque blocks and tubing, straight distilled and biocide, perhaps some corrosion inhibitor as well, and u should be fine so long as you fully cleaned/prepped the system prior to assembly.

Personally I plan on doing clear anyways since I might use something like an RGB pump, but this is still relatively good info. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Honestly that block looks better then i thought after 4 years or not being touched.

19 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Personally I plan on doing clear anyways since I might use something like an RGB pump, but this is still relatively good info. 

Yeah they have rgb pumps res and blocks.So you could make the coolant look colored like that.

Nice write up, i will do the same for mine after 7 years of not being touched!!!