How good is ryzen 7?

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
11 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

older games like Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod?

I'll give it a 10, any current gen CPU crushes old titles. (but can it run crysis?)

a super-intensive game/simulator?

That depends. Super intensive like what? My friend who uses a 1700 plays Warframe, monster Hunter, etc. He really likes it. He'd probably give it a 10 or something, I'll give it an 8.

running VR?

For high refresh rate, Ryzen is slightly lacking, but since most VR headsets require 90 fps or so, it would be sufficient. Additionally, my 4790k could handle my vive no sweat, so Ryzen no doubt has it for the vast majority of titles. Gonna say 8.

Running multiple intensive programs at once?

8 cores and all your dreams come true, 9.

Overall, there's still 2nd gen Ryzen to beat it, but the value of this CPU, especially on sale, is incredible. Not just serviceable but capable. Intel's own i9 9900k is of course in a league of its own, but with a price tag to match. An i5 8600k for dollar to dollar competition would be lacking the core count advantage, despite having better game performance.

how much power would it take at 80-100%?

GamersNexus probably has a figure on that, worth looking around their YT channel or site.

on a scale of 1 to 10, how good is Ryzen 7 1700 for:

1. older games like Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod?
  2. a super-intensive game/simulator?
  3. running VR?
  4. Running multiple intensive programs at once?

and how much power would it take at 80-100%?

heck.

older games like Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod?

I'll give it a 10, any current gen CPU crushes old titles. (but can it run crysis?)

a super-intensive game/simulator?

That depends. Super intensive like what? My friend who uses a 1700 plays Warframe, monster Hunter, etc. He really likes it. He'd probably give it a 10 or something, I'll give it an 8.

running VR?

For high refresh rate, Ryzen is slightly lacking, but since most VR headsets require 90 fps or so, it would be sufficient. Additionally, my 4790k could handle my vive no sweat, so Ryzen no doubt has it for the vast majority of titles. Gonna say 8.

Running multiple intensive programs at once?

8 cores and all your dreams come true, 9.

Overall, there's still 2nd gen Ryzen to beat it, but the value of this CPU, especially on sale, is incredible. Not just serviceable but capable. Intel's own i9 9900k is of course in a league of its own, but with a price tag to match. An i5 8600k for dollar to dollar competition would be lacking the core count advantage, despite having better game performance.

how much power would it take at 80-100%?

GamersNexus probably has a figure on that, worth looking around their YT channel or site.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I would get a 2600 over a 1700 if prices are similar.. Gaming isn't really an issue as long as you have a decent GPU.

The 1700 has a 65w TDP according to AMD, that's without overclocking it.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

1. Lol, those first mentioned games ran perfectly fine on my previous Dual core AMD CPU from 2011, Source games are very easy on the CPU (except for the fire/smoke physics), so they will run great on a 1700 too.

2. Depends on the game to be honest. More on this at the end of my post.

3. Again, depends on the game, but will fare quite well. VR usually is higher Hz, more on this later.

4. It would do very well on that; seeing as it has 8 cores/16 threads.

This information is coming from a Ryzen 7 1700 owner of two years; this is a very good CPU. The difference between it, newer AMD Ryzen 7 CPU's and Intel's offerings is the single core performance; which would be mostly noticeable in higher fps gaming (such as VR gaming, which typically have 90Hz panels).

The super intensive games/simulators are difficult to judge because of this; you would need to know if they supported all the threads at once or not. For example, Da Vinci Resolve renders super fast on this CPU; but that is because it utilizes all threads of my CPU.

For the power consumption I'm just gonna post this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1700-cpu-review,5009-8.html

Power consumption is not terribly high to be honest.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

20 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

on a scale of 1 to 10, how good is Ryzen 7 1700 for:

I own a 1700X so I think what I say should be mostly relevant for a 1700.

1. older games like Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod?

Performance will be fine but you're probably not going to get extremely high framerates.

These games favor single thread CPU performance to the exclusion of multiple cores.

If these are the only 3 games you play then Ryzen 1st gen isn't a good idea.

1. a super-intensive game/simulator?

If by super cpu intensive game you mean something which uses mainly 1 core then things will not go amazingly well. You'll probably have a bad time on a 1700 if none of the games you play use more than 1 core.

If by super cpu intensive game you mean something which uses lots of threads or cores (4 or more cores/threads used) then the 1700 will power through with no issues.

1. running VR?

A 1700 is more then enough for VR.

1. Running multiple intensive programs at once?

Provided each of those programs aren't single threaded then it should be great.

Otherwise again, you might not have the best experience.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I have a 1800x and have questioned buying a different cpu but every time I look up game benchmarks I can’t justify the cost for the performance gain. I haven’t had a complaint with that cpu yet with a rtx2060 at 1080p. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x