Can "Energy Saving/sleep" mode be used instead of "Shutdown"?

Hey guys,

I wonder if my hardware will get any issues when I just put my computer into "Energy saving" mode and let it sleep and instead of shutting it down.

The reason why I ask this is because I had a workplace and we were not allowed to shut down the computers in the full week. 

There was a reset once a week on sunday.

Thanks in advance!

No it won't damage anything, but with modern hardware and ssds there isn't really a reason to not shutdown a pc unless something is actively running. boot uptime is really a non issue now 

sleep will use less power, shutdown less again 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

10 minutes ago, Hip said:

I had a workplace and we were not allowed to shut down the computers in the full week. 

this is likely due to rolling updates or needing them on to accept updates if required.

Unless your PC is doing something overnight, just shut it down

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

No, windows 10 uses hybrid sleep anyway when you chose shutdown

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

6 hours ago, Cyracus said:

No, windows 10 uses hybrid sleep anyway when you chose shutdown

What does this mean?

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

17 hours ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

I wonder if my hardware will get any issues when I just put my computer into "Energy saving" mode and let it sleep and instead of shutting it down.

Of course not.  That's the way newer Windows PCs were designed to work.

The only computer that I actually "shut down" is my laptop.

The PC I'm on right now has been "shut down" for about a year.  It just goes to sleep every night.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:02 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Of course not.  That's the way newer Windows PCs were designed to work.

The only computer that I actually "shut down" is my laptop.

The PC I'm on right now has been "shut down" for about a year.  It just goes to sleep every night.

So I can just put it into sleep mode and wake up with no problem instead of shutting down every time, yes?

12 minutes ago, Hip said:

So I can just put it into sleep mode and wake up with no problem instead of shutting down every time, yes?

Of course.  That's what it's made to do.  That's what PCs were made to do ever since the AT standard became the ATX standard.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:52 PM, it_dont_work said:

shutdown a pc unless something is actively running. boot uptime is really a non issue now 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:58 PM, Arika S said:

Unless your PC is doing something overnight,

I pretty much always have a lot of things running, in progress, etc. on my laptop.  Having to shut down is a pretty big ordeal, and restoring my workspace is even worse.

That is especially true after the type of shutdown that's responsible for a good 3/4 or so of the last year or so's worth of shutdowns.  (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, for example.)

Ideally I wouldn't have to shut down or restart (even for an OS update or motherboard/PSU/Boot SSD swap, other than hibernation) any more frequently than a server I read about online with 24 YEARS continuous uptime.)

26 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I pretty much always have a lot of things running, in progress, etc. on my laptop.  Having to shut down is a pretty big ordeal, and restoring my workspace is even worse.

That is especially true after the type of shutdown that's responsible for a good 3/4 or so of the last year or so's worth of shutdowns.  (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, for example.)

Ideally I wouldn't have to shut down or restart (even for an OS update or motherboard/PSU/Boot SSD swap, other than hibernation) any more frequently than a server I read about online with 24 YEARS continuous uptime.)

I hate myself for using this meme, but.....

weird flex but ok...

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒