galvanized steel for dehydrator

Syntaxvgm

So I've seen a lot of meat smoker builds that are made from galvanized metal. It's often discouraged as people dont use it for high temp stuff- fire pits etc because the zinc is bad. But for smokers, I've seen the argument that the temps stay low enough (say 225 f) for it to not be a problem. Seems to be a lot of argument about this. 
I want to build a dehydrator from galvanized steel. The temps would range from 120f to 180f (it will be adjustable). 
Would that be safe as the walls? I don't think so for the racks as some of the things I'd be putting on there would be acidic fruits. 
Any reference for this anyone can point me to? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I can't say that it would be safe or unsafe. I'd highly recommend getting some untreated cold or hot rolled sheet steel, paint the outside and season the inside with fat and something that will bring the internal temp to about 400 degrees (just for the seasoning process. prevents rusting)

I can say that whatever you do, make sure you use food safe stainless or cast iron for any part of this thing that actually comes into physical contact with the food. Ever.

Also, NEVER weld on galvanized metal.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Galvanized metals in extreme temperatures

You should be totally fine; however, I want to ask why are you doing this instead of buying one? They're actually quite annoying to build (specifically the racks).

Regarding racks, you want to make them out of mesh (usually plastic) to airflow can permeate it and dry stuff more quickly.

I'm guessing you're planning on drying pineapple or grapes? For me, pineapple becomes a bit too acidic to eat after dried.

On a tangent note, I've had the best success (taste-wise) with apples. You core 'em and then cut them on a mandoline, dip them in pineapple juice (to stop the browning), and then leave them on the racks until they're dry.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Another vote for stainless steel... Galvanized steel would never be used in a commercial kitchen for food-handling surfaces. Galvanization does tend to wear off of surfaces that are exposed to harsh environments (like acidic fruit juice, then scrubbed clean). Then comes rust. Then sadness.

So yeah... stainless.  It's good stuff.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Also, NEVER weld on galvanized metal.

YHW?  I awlys wled no glvnsed mtela and it hsa hda no eecefft on em...

Seriously though, small amounts in frequently with fresh air won't be a problem.  But it's better to avoid if you can. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Galvanized steel is a bastard to weld... that is if you're welding.

Health wise? I don't know, I couldn't tell ya. Stainless steel would be the way to go imo.

I once saw someone make a dehydrator out of an old filing cabinet... Might be cheaper too?

2 hours ago, Netivity said:

Galvanized steel is a bastard to weld... that is if you're welding.

Use Flux core wire or stick weld.   Gas shielded will not always penetrate the zinc layer.  And don't even bother trying to tig it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

That’s interesting, hard to guess tho isn’t it. 

Had a read here, was interesting. I would guess that fruit wouldn’t be too corrosive, as they’d likely still be mild acids in food quantities? Also if the nicked coating does corrode, where does it go? It likely won’t go volatile, so from that point of view I guess it’s relatively safe (like what you said on smoking vs non smoking temps)

One articel i read mentioned that air borne salt content had an effect on corrosion, so maybe the salty nature of food will have an effect on this. Also seems the type of glavanisation chnages tbings. https://www.gsa.gov/node/1100?Form_Load=88553%3FbypassAkamaiCache%3D1507917842

keep us posted. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Here's a video about welding galvanized: 

And some general OSHA guidelines:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/shipbuildingrepair/welding.html

And some more specific information about welding galvanized:

https://galvanizeit.org/education-and-resources/resources/technical-faq-dr-galv/welding-galvanized-steel

Be safe.

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450