What are some things a high quality PSU can give me?

BlockedTheShot
Go to solution Solved by NunoLava1998,

A better warranty, higher efficiency, voltage regulation and ripple suppression and it can protect against your hardware being destroyed in a power surge.

Also, in some cases it has a cool box, look at this!!!Resultado de imagem para sf450 80+ platinum boxox:

So i got a masterwatt 650w 80+ bronze(tier 3 according to this list, which is apparently middle of the road). And before that I had a tier 6 500w EVGA 80+ W1 psu (been working fine on a gaming rig for 4 years, I just need to insert a gpu that reccomends higher wattage).

Besides a higher efficiency(and lower energy cost with it), what are some things a higher quality PSU can give me and protect me against?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Damn....

Less chance of fire, killing other components during a power surge, the PSU dying from a power surge, instability, poor voltage regulation and many other things. Generally good ones have a better warranty as well. 

A better warranty, higher efficiency, voltage regulation and ripple suppression and it can protect against your hardware being destroyed in a power surge.

Also, in some cases it has a cool box, look at this!!!Resultado de imagem para sf450 80+ platinum boxox:

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Compared to something middle of the road, nothing dramatic, slightly less ripple and noise, more robustness and perhaps fanless mode (if the old one didn't have it already).

Assuming your quality of the power coming into your house is good (no power surges, brown outs or other sorts of funny stuff), there really isn't a point in going with the best of best for a standard rig.

Not saying that it's fine to go with cheaper than cheap, but middle-of-the-road is fine in 99% of the cases.

Quiter, better cabling, more efficient, longer life span, less likely to cause crashes, better longevity on every component, better overclocking, less EMI transmissions. More protection against short circuits, lightning, fan failures, no load operation, and unstable power grids. When the PSU dies it’s less likely to take other parts with it. Better warranty. 

2 hours ago, Rexper said:

better overclocking

I read that it only increases the lifespan of your overclocked components, or does it really give you higher clocks?

10 hours ago, 17030644 said:

I read that it only increases the lifespan of your overclocked components, or does it really give you higher clocks?

Better ripple means that you can have a stable overclock at a lower voltage. So if you are on a voltage wall/edge of the safe voltage for X processor then it may give higher clocks in that round about way.

10 hours ago, Matsozetex said:

Better ripple means that you can have a stable overclock at a lower voltage. So if you are on a voltage wall/edge of the safe voltage for X processor then it may give higher clocks in that round about way.

really? I was also told it's never been tested thoroughly enough so we don't know how much of a benefit you get by having less ripple

2 hours ago, 17030644 said:

really? I was also told it's never been tested thoroughly enough so we don't know how much of a benefit you get by having less ripple

It probably hasn’t. That stuff is hard to test... matching every variable but ripple.

We don’t know how much of a benefit, but logic tells us there is a benefit.

1 hour ago, Rexper said:

It probably hasn’t. That stuff is hard to test... matching every variable but ripple.

We don’t know how much of a benefit, but logic tells us there is a benefit.

fair enough to me, thanks