6-pin to 8-pin adapter?

BattleToads

I just received an XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB which requires a single 8-pin connection. It came with a 2x 6-pin to 1x 8-pin connector, but my power supply only has a single 6-pin PCI-E plug. Will the adapter work with just a single 6-pin? I've read that you can use a 6-pin connector in an 8-pin slot but it isn't ideal, would it work here? Is a single 6-pin to single 8-pin adapter the best or should I get a dual molex to 8-pin adapter? 

A single 6-pin would not be sufficient enough for it. I would get a dual molex to 8-pin, or if you're really really desperate, use dual sata to 8-pin.

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

5 minutes ago, BattleToads said:

I just received an XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB which requires a single 8-pin connection. It came with a 2x 6-pin to 1x 8-pin connector, but my power supply only has a single 6-pin PCI-E plug. Will the adapter work with just a single 6-pin? I've read that you can use a 6-pin connector in an 8-pin slot but it isn't ideal, would it work here? Is a single 6-pin to single 8-pin adapter the best or should I get a dual molex to 8-pin adapter? 

If your buying a RX580. I suggest a PSU upgrade, 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

you would be better off with a dual molex adapter in my experience.  the only real difference between 6 and 8 pin pcie connectors is the number of ground cables.  Although your single 6 pin may be enough to power your card it is pushing the spec to the limit.  If you have easy access to a molex adapter i would use it as it will be within a few watts within the max draw on an 8 pin and AS LONG AS YOU DON"T OVERCLOCK THE GPU (factory overclock should be fine) this should suit you fine.  I used to use a molex adapter and a dual 6 pin to 8 pin to power my 1080 in my old build.

edit: spelling

edit:  The fact you have only one 6 pin available makes me nervous that your already approaching the watt limit for your power supply as is, please make sure youre not pushing that bad boy too hard.  Especially with adapters.

Edited by orbafloatin
spelling

Technically it would turn on (I believe) but it is by no means recommended. Typically, if your PSU has insufficient connectors for a device, it is not fit to run that device.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, orbafloatin said:

dual molex adapter

Dual molex to six pin to dual six pin to eight pin. Makes most sense but seems ridiculous to read and to picture.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It's a Thermaltake 430W PSU. Not interested in shelling out more cash for another PSU. 

Just now, BattleToads said:

It's a Thermaltake 430W PSU. Not interested in shelling out more cash for another PSU. 

Whats the rest of your system specs?

1 minute ago, orbafloatin said:

Whats the rest of your system specs?

Xeon e3 1220

16 GB DDR3

500GB HD

16 minutes ago, BattleToads said:

Are you interested in shelling out cash for a new house after it burns down though?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Are you interested in shelling out cash for a new house after it burns down though?

I would like to think that Thermaltake's quality is good enough that it can run a 580 and a quad-core off 430W without danger of combustion...

2 minutes ago, BattleToads said:

I would like to think that Thermaltake's quality is good enough that it can run a 580 and a quad-core off 430W without danger of combustion...

Those low end thermaltake PSUs are some of the worst.

Thermalfake in general makes pretty crap quality PC components all form china.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Dual molex to six pin to dual six pin to eight pin. Makes most sense but seems ridiculous to read and to picture.

Just found a dual molex to six-pin in an old motherboard box... This, combined with the 6-pin already connected to the PSU (Thermaltake 430W) should be safe to run the RX 580, yes? 

3 minutes ago, BattleToads said:

I would like to think that Thermaltake's quality is good enough

Speaking only to this snippet, PSUs are something you cannot use this logic with. EVERY PSU brand has its crap tier. Most use OEMs as well. So Thermaltake could have 3 different people making their stuff. It simply does not work on an overall brand judgement basis.

1 minute ago, BattleToads said:

Just found a dual molex to six-pin in an old motherboard box... This, combined with the 6-pin already connected to the PSU (Thermaltake 430W) should be safe to run the RX 580, yes? 

Yes. Not optimal, but functional. Get a $35 PSU at some point.

Primary PC:

Well it's run a 650Ti, a 1050 Ti, an i3 and a Xeon for about 6 years now with no problems...

Just now, BattleToads said:

6 years

Power Supplies get old, this one probably hasn't got much left in it.

Primary PC:

OK, so I've got the card installed and running. Doesn't really seem to improve performance though. In fact, it might be worse. I'm guessing it's bottlenecked by this CPU.