Corsair now sell 'Fake Ram' to fill your RGB needs

jeffnotgeoff
Just now, Fez_Boy said:

Profit ma dude, profit is important.

Ok, why is it not 100000$ then? This argument makes no sense. Of course corsair wants to make more money with fewer costs, that doesn't mean the product isn't overpriced and a ripoff.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Ok, why is it not 100000$ then? This argument makes no sense. Of course corsair wants to make more money with fewer costs, that doesn't mean the product isn't overpriced and a ripoff.

You're not taking into account the millions of other things they have to pay for and make a profit on top of: 

People to put it together, equipment to put it together, marketing, they have to make up for previous losses, distribution, and many others. 

As for your hundred thousand dollar question, it's a matter of value.  They have to make it expensive enough to make a profit without being so expensive as to drive away customers.  It's a balancing act.  

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

6 minutes ago, Fez_Boy said:

You're not taking into account the millions of other things they have to pay for and make a profit on top of: 

People to put it together, equipment to put it together, marketing, they have to make up for previous losses, distribution, and many others.

I absolutely AM accounting for those.

7 minutes ago, Fez_Boy said:

As for your hundred thousand dollar question, it's a matter of value.  They have to make it expensive enough to make a profit without being so expensive as to drive away customers.  It's a balancing act.  

I'm saying costumers should feel driven away at this price point. I sure do.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The ultimate guide to making yourself look richer than you already are!!

✨FNIGE✨

So it's for the people that care enough about aesthetics to spend $40 to not have an empty slot, but not enough to just buy another kit

O O O....

only 40 for a rgb stick with only rgb......

Must Urge Not To....

Nintendo fan boy and pc gamer at heart!!

Overpriced.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Hasnt this been out for a while now? My friend got a vengeance kit a bit back that had two dummy RGB sticks so that there wasnt two empty slots. 

Pretty smart actually, the biggest downside of rgb RAM is the imbalance

someone's going to buy this thinking that it is real ram 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Gigabyte's been doing this for quite a while on 2x RGB module kits that have 2 demo modules as they call them included. Not available separately though. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Memory/AORUS-RGB-Memory-3200MHz#kf

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

25 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

So these are heatsinks for existing ram ?

No, imitation sticks.  I would buy that tho.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Tell me what doesn't.

Bullets.

They cure cancer, amongst other things

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Not sure dual channel means what you think it does.

having 4x4 or 4x8 would have no effect on it being dual channel or not. Dual channel motherboards would have 2 or 4 slots in most cases.  Triple channel could a multiple of 3 and would scale to the number of cores. Same for quad-channel.

So a single cpu motherboard would generally have 12 ram slots for triple channel and a quad-channel would have 16.

Huh? Every single quad channel motherboard I've seen has 8 slots, not 16.

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

When I buy LEDs I am already paying for someone's profit margin. I don't buy a container of the damn things, I don't get OEM discounts. There are reasonable profit margins, and then there are 300%+ margins which are utter nonsense. If the price had been 80$, would you still have considered it reasonable because the real ram with the same looks would cost you twice as much? Of course you can probably afford to spend 40$, or burn them for that matter, if you bought the 150$ ram kit these are designed to mimic - but that doesn't mean it's not a complete ripoff. Just like you probably wouldn't burn 30$, I don't see why you should pay them on top of what something like this is actually worth.

No, because $80 would be unreasonable. It's not $80 though, is it. So it's an odd point to make. That's like asking if a Tesla would be worth it if it cost $250,000...but they don't, so why ask?

So you think they should sell it at cost? What sense does that make? That would be a completely pointless business decision.

Worth is also highly subjective. So. You can't really say they're not "worth" $40. I'm sure they'll sell more than enough for it to make sense.

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

You say that as though there are situations where a spare 240GB SSD isn't at least every bit as useful as empty DIMMs. I'm not anti-RGB. Hell, look at my picture over there then ask me how much I love my Hypnotoad. But there is the point of stupidity, and these are certainly pushing it.

If someone already has a 2TB SSD and don't need the extra storage, then it'd be kind of pointless, yes.

I don't see it as stupid to want your PC to look a certain way.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

knowing myself, I would probably buy this if I bought the vengeance pro rgb ram. 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Considering the price, this is currently the most ricer thing I've ever seen for PC's.  What's next? Empty SSD/HDD cases with RGB for $80? (Although one could instead fit an RGB hub/controller with SSD/HDD mounts, as hubs aren't standard yet on most cases)

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if a chinese knockoff for these RAM slot fillers later becomes available for less than $20...

System Specs:

• CPU: Phenom II x4 965 (stock)
  • Motherboard: Biostar TA870+ v 5.2
  • Ram: 4 Gb Avexir Core 1600MHz Red Led(CL11) x2 (total 8 Gb)
  • GPU: Zotac GTX 1050ti OC edition 4Gb GDDR5
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200rpm
  • PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W 80Plus Gold
  • Case: Segotep C2R (Reversed ATX)

feels overpriced.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's not an age thing. It's an aesthetic choice in how I want to build my PC.

No. YOU don't have any choice in how YOU build YOUR PC. RGB sucks and you should be ashamed. 

/s ;);););)

Good lord... 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

At least Corsair is trying to compete with the infamous "Download more RAM" sensation!

Smack the price down or keep it at that point when imported to norway and its not the dumbest thing ive seen that light up tbh.

I don't get why people get so triggered over this sort of stuff. If you care about your asthetics enough to drop another 40$ to fill your empty RAM slots with dummy modules, be my guest, what do I care.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

15 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Surely no one is stupid enough to buy a bit of plastic with lights for 40 USD

And here is your answer.

15 hours ago, Kenji the Uke said:

I am legit buying this since i just bought this ram kit >w> neat

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!