Mechanical keyboard with vodka juice in it.

Hey guys, a mate of mine spilled a drink with juice in it on my Logitech G810, unfortunately we were about to go out and we were drunk, so i just wiped it down with paper towels and left. Next morning i cleaned it properly, let it dry of and plugged it back in. It just presses a lot of random buttons and is completely uncontrollable. Do you think that it can still be saved or is it gg?  

4 minutes ago, Lil Burb said:

Hey guys, a mate of mine spilled a drink with juice in it on my Logitech G810, unfortunately we were about to go out and we were drunk, so i just wiped it down with paper towels and left. Next morning i cleaned it properly, let it dry of and plugged it back in. It just presses a lot of random buttons and is completely uncontrollable. Do you think that it can still be saved or is it gg?  

i think it's gg bud. If it is very modular you can try taking it out into like 30 pieces and cleaning.

I also have the G810 and it seems that it is easily openable, so try taking it apart and cleaning everything inside it.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

Okay thanks, guess i'll have to find a new keyboard, unfortunately it seems like they don't get sold in my country anymore :/ 

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

I also have the G810 and it seems that it is easily openable, so try taking it apart and cleaning everything inside it.

Could give it a try since i really like it, so far i only toke all the key caps of and cleaned it under there.

Try to take all the keys out, you might have to clean the underlying logic board. Juice gets places man, I've spilled enough drinks to know, and I was sober each time too which adds insult to injury.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Try to take all the keys out, you might have to clean the underlying logic board. Juice gets places man, I've spilled enough drinks to know, and I was sober each time too which adds insult to injury.

I did take all the keys out, but it wasn't enough :/ I'll try to clean the logic board, but i've never done that before so i got to figure out how first :D

16 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

14 minutes ago, Lil Burb said:

I did take all the keys out, but it wasn't enough :/ I'll try to clean the logic board, but i've never done that before so i got to figure out how first :D

You'll have to desolder the switches if you want to properly clean the board. 

30 minutes ago, Lil Burb said:

I very much doubt that it's a goner. I accidentally dumped half a liter of coke on my mechanical keyboard and afterwards most keys were stuck from all the sugary goop in them and the electronics was a little wonky, but all it required was rinsing all the keys thoroughly in hot water to get all the goop out and then cleaning the PCB with isopropyl alcohol. Took nearly a week for the keys to dry completely, but that's all.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, b emoji said:

No, you don't. If any liquid can get in, it can get out, too; just needs a good rinsing and several days to dry.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, b emoji said:

I would need to get supplies to do that, then i would rather just buy a new keyboard :D

18 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I very much doubt that it's a goner. I accidentally dumped half a liter of coke on my mechanical keyboard and afterwards most keys were stuck from all the sugary goop in them and the electronics was a little wonky, but all it required was rinsing all the keys thoroughly in hot water to get all the goop out and then cleaning the PCB with isopropyl alcohol. Took nearly a week for the keys to dry completely, but that's all.

I will give it a try thanks :D

Hi, I was about to say something similar along the line of what @WereCatf but I suppose there's no need anymore for that. Good stuff on you Cat for suggesting it and good luck for OP.

Anyway, taking apart the keyboard should be pretty easy, just try to be careful if it's your first time.

you can also check that video out. Please don't mind about the rubber feet, pretty sure you can secure them with double tape.

Have fun with your adventure on fixing it OP.

On 12/9/2018 at 4:47 PM, WereCatf said:

Hey again, i bought isypropol alcohol have been trying to clean the sticky keys for a while, but as soon as they dry they get sticky again. Seems like these romer-g switches makes it difficult to really get in there. Do you have any ideas, i'm contemplating just going ham and covering everything in Isopropyl...

16 minutes ago, Lil Burb said:

Hey again, i bought isypropol alcohol have been trying to clean the sticky keys for a while, but as soon as they dry they get sticky again. Seems like these romer-g switches makes it difficult to really get in there. Do you have any ideas, i'm contemplating just going ham and covering everything in Isopropyl...

I guess I wasn't clear enough: rinse the keys with lots of hot water -- cold water is unlikely to do the trick --and repeatedly press the keys while at it to loosen the gunk up. Then rinse the water out with isopropyl to prevent corrosion.

41 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I guess I wasn't clear enough: rinse the keys with lots of hot water -- cold water is unlikely to do the trick --and repeatedly press the keys while at it to loosen the gunk up. Then rinse the water out with isopropyl to prevent corrosion.

Okay, my formulation wasn't very good, its not the key caps themselves but rather the switches, if i rinse them with hot water i fill definitely get water into the PCP, i'm not sure if that is okay? Thanks for helping me out! 

27 minutes ago, Lil Burb said:

Okay, my formulation wasn't very good, its not the key caps themselves but rather the switches, if i rinse them with hot water i fill definitely get water into the PCP, i'm not sure if that is okay? Thanks for helping me out! 

I just said, after rinsing with water, you rinse it with isopropyl to prevent corrosion.

On 12/10/2018 at 9:32 PM, Lil Burb said:

On 12/10/2018 at 10:00 PM, WereCatf said:

I just said, after rinsing with water, you rinse it with isopropyl to prevent corrosion.

Don't want to seem patronising here, but make sure it's not plugged in whilst you're doing this - pixies flowing through it will cause issues whilst rinsing...

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers