Anthrax 7.0 - Mostly Whoosh With A Bit Of Sploosh

I don't disagree with the concept of the orbweaver I have never tried on though. I know I could play games in the dark far before i could touch type so i don't really see the need for the backlight if it is for gaming.  I see if more for people that don't know the keyboard layout or how to touch type. Being able to game with out looking has really fucked up my typing skills because that is where I learned how to touch type so I type with my left hand over wasd and only use  3 fingers on my right hand lol

Ive used them in the past but the thumbstick of the orbweaver and the mechanical switches really sold me and I cant go back.

Yea I know what you mean I still type right hand heavy and keep my left mostly rooted. I think this is also due to my heavy use of shortcuts.

Such Noctua! So many fans in there... You wont miss the airflow :D

Hey if I could fit more in there nicely I would.

so you took 4 fans out to find out 2 will not fit... I'm not sure i would call that an update lol

No sir I did not remove any fans. The top fans already interfered with the back ones as noted in update 42 and there was not any height clearance issues since you can do push pull thicker rad in the Air 540. This was just to test if there was clearance issues between the rear fans and the ram cooler, which there was. I guess I could have written that update a bit better possibly.

I guess I could have written that update a bit better possibly.

can't say if you could have I only glanced at it lol

I saw the call out and felt the need to say something lol

can't say if you could have I only glanced at it lol

I saw the call out and felt the need to say something lol

yea I did cause I posted an update :P

Anyways i don't know if it is just me but i don't really like the look of the nuts on that ram cooler

Yea it not the most optimal. Black cap nuts would have probably looked better but I didnt have anything like that available and bolts are needed to make that design work. I did have another but it was far more complex. The main reason its needed is that the Noctua fans are the standard 25mm thick while the original corsair ones were only 10mm.

Yea it not the most optimal. Black cap nuts would have probably looked better but I didnt have anything like that available and bolts are needed to make that design work. I did have another but it was far more complex. The main reason its needed is that the Noctua fans are the standard 25mm thick while the original corsair ones were only 10mm.

sounds like you just need longer screws then unless I'm missing something

Longer screws? No probably just a different nuts to replace those. Those nuts are actually just holding on the fan grills. As I said I think a black cap nut would probably look much better but that sadly is not something easily accessible to me. It would probably be easy enough to swap in though. When designing and putting them together I wasnt really thinking about looks too much.

oh did you mean just longer screws to account for the increased height of the fan? That would be the case but the metal legs normally mount to the top of the housing not the bottom like I have now so that would have made clearance for ram even less. These ram coolers already nearly touched Dominator GT and im using them on Dominator Platinum. Also the screws, actually bolts, they used on them are no where near standard really screw head wise so it would have been something that would have needed to be special ordered, something I was trying to avoid.

z4LE1Gv.png

Update #045: O.o Sizing them up O.o| 2013.11.02

I found another brand that makes 120mm to 140mm brackets and they happen to be a bit thinner. These should at least solve my issue with the top fans not having enough clearance with rear fans to fit. The old one on right and the new one on the left. I also preferred the screw holes for the 120mm side on the new one as there is ample room for a standard fan screw unlike the thicker one which really seems to be design for bolts for some reason.

IMG_7721.jpg

IMG_7727.jpg

Remember to LinusTechTips-Followthistopic.png to receive continued updates automatically!

Sweet... Keep going... MORE FANS

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Sweet... Keep going... MORE FANS

Theres only so much room in a Air 540, which I definitely found out the hard way.

Theres only so much room in a Air 540, which I definitely found out the hard way.

Find a way... ALL THE FANS...

All of the noise...

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Find a way... ALL THE FANS...

All of the noise...

The noise well all down to ~500rpm quite minimal. Also with the newer fan expert on the X79-Deluxe you can actually have it fully turn off fans below a certain temp. I dont know if i want o set anything that elaborate up however.

z4LE1Gv.png

Update #046: Ahh, still too close! | 2013.11.02

So the new shorter 120mm to 140mm adapters fixed the clearance issues between the top fans and rear fans but sadly doesnt seem to be the case for the ram cooler. I think some more hands on modding may be in order.

IMG_7735.jpg

IMG_7736.jpg

IMG_7739.jpg

Remember to LinusTechTips-Followthistopic.png to receive continued updates automatically!

So the pointless rear fan assembly is blocking the pointless ram cooling :P

Yes, pointlessness at its finest!

Yes, pointlessness at its finest!

a lot of good looking things are.

Anyways where do you live that it is hard to get screws?

a lot of good looking things are.

Anyways where do you live that it is hard to get screws?

US? its not hard getting screws but the ones that corsair choose to use stock are not something you could just get at a hardware store and are not anything near standard or even non standard PC screw since its more of a bolt with a screw head. Either way this setup worked flawlessly so im not all that concerned to be truthful.

US? its not hard getting screws but the ones that corsair choose to use stock are not something you could just get at a hardware store and are not anything near standard or even non standard PC screw since its more of a bolt with a screw head. Either way this setup worked flawlessly so im not all that concerned to be truthful.

something like these http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=sh13zr Flat-Head Socket Cap Screws doesn't let me direct link

it isn't that uncommon and places like ace hardware may have what you would need if not they can be found cheap online 

get metal keycaps, plenty of shiny ;)

I don't like the gold but I'll take the silver ones more shiny yay!!

The RAM cooler actually looks a lot better now it's sort of in the case I know this is gonna look so good when it's done =]

something like these http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=sh13zr Flat-Head Socket Cap Screws doesn't let me direct link

it isn't that uncommon and places like ace hardware may have what you would need if not they can be found cheap online

Yep its something like that. I checked fleet farm and trilling when I built those. There is now a ACE near here but I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt have it either. If/When I get a chance to pull them out I can look into them and a cap nut. This will likely be with the launch of the 880 since ill be pulling some stuff apart to fit those. I should probably do something about the blue on the sides as well since that really doesnt match much of anything.

I don't like the gold but I'll take the silver ones more shiny yay!!

The RAM cooler actually looks a lot better now it's sort of in the case I know this is gonna look so good when it's done =]

Thanks, im glad I made the decision to run with it. I also kinda just wanted to it because its a mod I had planned a couple month prior when I had a stock one off my Dominator GT's for cleaning. Sometimes I see something and im like I bet its not too hard to make that better in some way and this was one of those.

Thanks, im glad I made the decision to run with it. I also kinda just wanted to it because its a mod I had planned a couple month prior when I had a stock one off my Dominator GT's for cleaning. Sometimes I see something and im like I bet its not too hard to make that better in some way and this was one of those.

Well this is why people mod and tinker with stuff because they feel they can improve on whatever is there already even if it's slightly or cosmetically. Everyone has their own ideas and tastes and there is no way any manufacturer is going to be able to make something that everyone wants to keep the same. SSD Sticker is too big peel it off. RAM wrong colours. So doing things like modding just makes it more yours