Oculus Rift vs HTC Vive - State of VR

Oculus Rift

Amazon: http://geni.us/1YKD

Oculus Pre-order: http://geni.us/1waP

HTC Vive

Amazon: http://geni.us/2ZRY (Not yet available - more info to come soon)

VR headsets have come a long way in a very short time. With the Oculus Rift CV1 release right around the corner, we wanted to give you an idea of what to look for.

Yay VR.......

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What if I don't want an xbox controller? :(

Did... did you... watch the video?...

Neither platform will be using Xbox controllers.

No I did not. I can't watch videos at work. Sorry if I made a mistake! Will watch the video tonight.

All good! :) both platforms have pretty sick control options coming in, so I wouldn't worry about that too much ;)

All good! :) both platforms have pretty sick control options coming in, so I wouldn't worry about that too much ;)

I have the steam controller, that really should be supported by vive right?

But I saw on the pre-order page of the oculus rift that an xbox controller tags along. Does it have to?

The Rift comes with an XB1 controller. It's included at-cost from Microsoft (i.e. cost of plastic for mouldings, cost of PCB fab, ~$10) so you can resell it at a profit if you already have one. A good chunk of VR games will be using a controller rather than motion controlls, because:

- A controller is what has been used for the past 3/4 years to develop games with

- Many games do not work well with motion controls

Whether games o nthe Vive will support the Steam Controller is entirely up to game developers. Probably less likely due to it not being bundled with the Vive, so devs can;t assume people will have one.

Probably wait until the early majority start getting into VR, at the moment it's just too expensive with not enough games and cost of PC parts to make it worth the purchase

This is a great video, but I don't like how it seems like Luke is shouting at me. Perhaps a conversational tone next time. :)

IMO, Both don't have a high enough resolution, and both possibly don't have a wide enough FoV, though I have not tried it myself so this is just best guess atm. If when I look out the corner of my eye I see nothing as the screen has already ended or im looking at the edges of lenses, then the FoV isn't wide enough on a hardware level. If however my entire vision is screen, but the aspect ratio of that screen and FoV are to narrow for the image to look natural, that again isn't good enough.

Tracking also will have to be spot on with instant repose and high levels of accuracy for even the very small movements a person natural uses to see and do things, I don't want to have to exaggerate movements for the sensors to pick them up.

Wires, I prefer wired when it comes to my peripherals, I just don't trust wireless, and for mouse's I also don't like the added weight of the battery. BUT for a VR headset, it needs to be ether wireless (next to impossible for bandwidth and response reasons) or the package should come with a means to hang the wire above you. Everyone has a light on their ceiling so I think a device that uses that to route the cable above you (without putting weight on the light fixture) should be included, or something else that achieves the same goal. 

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I realy want VR. But i am not sold yet. I wait what Games will support it and how good the Devs handle it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Loved this format so please make more of these since it very fast helped me to catch up on status on VR and the difference of the two major players!  :)

Did... did you... watch the video?...

Neither platform will be using Xbox controllers.

Doesnt the oculus preorder come bundled with an Xbox controller? I think that's what he meant. Most people feel the controller was thrown in to inflate the price.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

In a VS video I would have liked to have heard which platform Luke preferred. No clear winner was mentioned. Which vendor should take my money Luke? 

those are not the only HMDs

where is StarVR

where is OSVR

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

I still think it's going to be all hype until we reach Sword Art VR