FDA Approves Cancer Killing Virus

DevilishBooster

This is huge. While this exact announcement may not be related to all cancers and it's not a 100% cure, the fact that it has been approved just opened up huge doors for other viral cures already in the making. I cannot wait to see where this goes!

By the numbers, the newest FDA-approved treatment for skin cancer doesn’t seem a real game changer. A $65,000 course of treatment extends melanoma patients’ lives by less than four and a half months, on average—and that result is barely statistically significant.

It’s how the new drug—Imlygic, made by the biotechnology company Amgen—works that has the oncology world so worked up. Imlygic is a virus—alive and infectious, the first to get a stamp of approval in the US for its ability to attack cancer cells. It opens a whole new front in the fight against cancer, which has the sneaky habit of coming back after chemotherapy, radiation, or surgery. “It is a totally new class of weapons that we can now use,” says Antonio Chiocca, a neurosurgeon at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

Source: http://www.wired.com/2015/10/fda-approves-first-virus-will-kill-cancer-cells/

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

coincidentally: NPR states that studies have linked Bacon to Cancer, so its a good thing this came along at the same time

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

coincidentally: NPR states that studies have linked Bacon to Cancer, so its a good thing this came along at the same time

meh, it's a "link"

18% risk is nothing. it's like fuck all + 18% = fuck all 

Smoking is 2500% risk and most people smoking still don't get cancer.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

meh, it's a "link"

*holds up sign that says "Sarcasm" on it*

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

meh, it's a "link"

My response to people (read: non-carnivores) I hear talking about that is to scream in their face, "Then stop putting $%&@($# chemicals in my meat!!!". Lol

Vegetarian: n. Old Indian word for "bad hunter"

read: very dry, tongue-in-cheek sarcasm....

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

What op fails to mention is it's engineered 

HERPES 

"Got cancer, here have herpes"

(I know, it wont' give you herpes.)

What's next? Killing aids with ebola? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm excited.. But at the same time i'm a bit worried.. I've seen zombie movies..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

HERPES 

Uhm.... I thought it was pretty self explanatory that it's an engineered virus.

If you actually read the article.......

END OF LINE

My response to people (read: non-carnivores) I hear talking about that is to scream in their face, "Then stop putting $%&@($# chemicals in my meat!!!". Lol

Vegetarian: n. Old Indian word for "bad hunter"

to be specific, the link was between processed meats and cancer, as well as unprocessed red meat such as beef

Solitaire. 

What has this got to do with tech?

I guess it doesn't, tbh. I was reading Wired so my brain automatically went to the Tech News Forum.

Mods: Please move thread to General Discussion.

END OF LINE

*holds up sign that says "Sarcasm" on it*

you can't do that on the internet. you will find your post one day in some forum of people trying to prove bacon gives you cancer 100%.

if it works, yes please?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

to be specific, the link was between processed meats and cancer, as well as unprocessed red meat such as beef

Hence my dislike of meat with a metric crap-ton of chemicals injected into it.

END OF LINE

there are none injected to it. The only chemicals that are in the meat are the ones that come from crops that they eat.

Paranoid people are the best. /s

Spoiler

Not the first time that viruses have been used to fight cancer. They've used Polio to fight brain tumours. This is not new territory. The new territory is gonna be programming the viruses to checksum cancer cells against healthy cells and destroy the cancer. Virus programming is the next step. Right now it's hit-and-miss.

there are none injected to it. The only chemicals that are in the meat are the ones that come from crops that they eat.

for processed meats like bolonga, bacon, etc. yes, but according to NPR, this includes an all-natural grass fed steak or ground beef

Solitaire. 

So you're telling me that none of the hundreds of various artificial preservatives used throughout the food industry are chemicals?

I'm not a food scientist, but I'm pretty sure lots of them are chemicals....

END OF LINE

HERPES 

"Got cancer, here have herpes"

(I know, it wont' give you herpes.)

So by your logic, all vaccines shouldn't be used because they have a broken down version of a virus?

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

So you're telling me that none of the hundreds of various artificial preservatives used throughout the food industry are chemicals?

So you mean prepared meat products. Yes those have all kinds of chemicals. 

So do bananas

Banana-Chemical-Compounds-011416084470.j

Spoiler

So you mean prepared meat products. Yes those have all kinds of chemicals. 

So do bananas

Hence why 99% of the produce I buy is organic (and yes, I know, some of the bigger organic farms in the industry still use some small amounts of sprays).

END OF LINE

Hence why 99% of the produce I buy is organic (and yes, I know, some of the bigger organic farms in the industry still use some small amounts of sprays).

organic chemicals are still chemicals, just less efficient ones.

Spoiler

But isn't the food itself made out of chemicals?

Everything is a chemical.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

organic chemicals are still chemicals, just less efficient ones.

A lot of organics that I buy are locally grown so I know that they really are organic, and I would rather eat produce that has significantly fewer chemicals sprayed on than produce that is just drenched in chemicals. I also grow as much of my own veggies as possible, and I hunt for meat.

END OF LINE