Lenovo caught shipping yet another spyware app on computers

Nowak

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2984889/windows-pcs/lenovo-collects-usage-data-on-thinkpad-thinkcentre-and-thinkstation-pcs.html

Oh boy, Lenovo can't get a break, can they?

First came the Superfish scandal where they were found to be pre-loading ad software that was so poorly implemented that it left victims/customers vulnerable to serious security flaws.

Then, Lenovo software was discovered on a fresh install of the retail edition of Windows. Lenovo had been modifying the BIOS, to insure that, no matter what a customer did, their software got installed. And, this was software that both The Register and ExtremeTech referred to as "crapware". That the software (the Lenovo Service Engine) was buggy, just made a bad situation worse. In the end, Lenovo updated the BIOS not to muck around with the installed copy of Windows. 

And now their latest scandal is them collecting usage data on ThinkPad, ThinkCentre and ThinkStation PCs.

The task that gave me pause is called "Lenovo Customer Feedback Program 64". It was running daily. According to the description in the task scheduler: "This task uploads Customer Feedback Program data to Lenovo".

I have setup my fair share of new Lenovo machines and can't recall ever being asked about a Customer Feedback program.

The program that runs daily is Lenovo.TVT.CustomerFeedback.Agent.exe and it resides in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Lenovo\Customer Feedback Program.

Other files in this folder are Lenovo.TVT.CustomerFeedback.Agent.exe.config, Lenovo.TVT.CustomerFeedback.InnovApps.dll and Lenovo.TVT.CustomerFeedback.OmnitureSiteCatalyst.dll.

According to Wikipedia, Omniture is an online marketing and web analytics firm, and SiteCatalyst (since renamed) is their software as a service application for client-side web analytics.

So, while there may not be extra ads on ThinkPads, there is some monitoring and tracking.

This was found on a refurbished machine, which is surprising to say the least.

Lenovo sure seems to be pushing the boundaries of trust with their customers. Why would anyone want to buy a Lenovo PC now, if they're just gonna load it up with spyware and crapware? I'll be sure to check my mother's ThinkPad after this.

Apparently, Lenovo thinks that even if you paid for it, you're still the product.

Windows is spyware now

What can you do

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

We REALLY need to force a global bill of internet/electronic rights through our collective countries.

No spying without warrants

No collecting data without the express written consent of the consumer. No "It's in the EULA" bullshit. No implying consent.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hold up can you get rid of the spyware tho?

Either way, I'm not going to buy any Lenovos after these scandals and shit

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Windows is spyware now

What can you do

This is about Lenovo, not Windows itself.

Use Linux?

No, just delete it on Windows

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Yes but Windows 10 is basically NSA heaven

Lenovo ships with spyware. Okay that's annoying, but more than 67% of all desktop/laptop computers in the world ship with spyware now. Which is worse?

http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-monthly-201508-201508-bar

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

I install ubuntu or centOS on every laptop I have so even if I had one of those lenovo machines I wouldn't know about that...I like linux especially on a laptop. 

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

We REALLY need to force a global bill of internet/electronic rights through our collective countries.

No collecting data without the express written consent of the consumer. No "It's in the EULA" bullshit. No implying consent.

Good luck enforcing anything globally in this world. Even if you get the western countries to go along with it (yeah not gonna happen) you still have China to deal with.

It's just customer feedback , jeez guys.

On the same note, I don't have this thing on my Lenovo Y50 , nor did I have any of the other malware/spyware apps mentioned in the first quote.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Good luck enforcing anything globally in this world. Even if you get the western countries to go along with it (yeah not gonna happen) you still have China to deal with.

Only way forward for humanity from now on tbh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_world_order_(politics)

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Too bad their laptops are great.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yeah, because that would help... :D

I know I know, idealistic bullshit that is probably never gonna be implemented, but hey it's good to stand by something you think is right. But admit it, a global government so that everyone operates by the same laws etc would solve a great deal of modern society's problems...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Yeah, and the penalty for breaking such laws are for the customers to enter the guilty company with bats ,lead pipes and pick ax handles and just smash the place to shit, then the cost of the damages must be multiplied by ten and then that money is given to a charity chosen by the customers who smashed the company to shit....they, companies/big businesses, only learn when it doesn't looks good in the finance department.

This shit is getting to the point where everyone should just start making their own OSes and drivers.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

You give consent in EULAs. It's your choice if you want to use their products or not. Companies have the right to make contracts with you, so it wouldn't even matter if you passed an Internet rights bill. People are going to have to come to terms with the fact there is no way to enforce privacy on the Internet. There is no way to be private on the Internet. Given enough time, if I want to, I can find out every single thing you have ever done on the Internet. Those records never disappear. Having an expectation of privacy is naive.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You give consent in EULAs. It's your choice if you want to use their products or not. Companies have the right to make contracts with you, so it wouldn't even matter if you passed an Internet rights bill. People are going to have to come to terms with the fact there is no way to enforce privacy on the Internet. There is no way to be private on the Internet. Given enough time, if I want to, I can find out every single thing you have ever done on the Internet. Those records never disappear. Having an expectation of privacy is naive.

An EULA is implied consent, not express written consent. Clicking "agree" is not equal to saying or writing "Yes, I give X company permission to collect data from my computer". Most of the population doesn't have time to sit and read through 8 pages of bullshit translated into legaleese.

Yeah, and the penalty for breaking such laws are for the customers to enter the guilty company with bats ,lead pipes and pick ax handles and just smash the place to shit, then the cost of the damages must be multiplied by ten and then that money is given to a charity chosen by the customers who smashed the company to shit....they, companies/big businesses, only learn when it doesn't looks good in the finance department.

This shit is getting to the point where everyone should just start making their own OSes and drivers.

Linux.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Use Linux?

I'd rather use spyware that works than shitty software that doesn't spy on me

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

How is that different from Win10?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

How is that different from Win10?

This is being found on refurbished computers running Windows 7?

An EULA is implied consent, not express written consent. Clicking "agree" is not equal to saying or writing "Yes, I give X company permission to collect data from my computer". Most of the population doesn't have time to sit and read through 8 pages of bullshit translated into legaleese.

Linux.

It is express consent. Nielsen already won that battle with the Supreme Court. So did Comcast. It is express consent when you click yes. Choosing to not read the agreement is on you. Rights are not based on convenience.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd