Professor Hawking's NEW Speech Software Now Available For Free (With Intel's Help)

Original Article: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/18/9173041/stephen-hawking-intel-github-speech-software

Stephen-Hawking-Talks-About-the-Linux-Ba

A while ago, I posted an article about Professor Hawking (No Pun intended) Getting a software upgrade.

(http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/262471-stephen-hawking-gets-an-upgrade-no-pun-intended-by-a-source-many-would-not-think-about/)

Well, back then, he stated with Intel and Swiftkey, the software which he was helping with development will be released to the public, and today is that day.

In this article however, there is no mention of Swiftkey.

Intel has stated the following response:

Our hope is that, by open sourcing this configurable platform, developers will continue to expand on this system by adding new user interfaces, new sensing modalities, word prediction and many other features," Sai Prasad, ACAT’s project owner, wrote on Intel’s website

And the software is ONLY available for PC.

(Edit: A personal Thought:

but I feel it maybe more practical to have this software, if made lightweight enough, available on smartphones, that way people can cut down on the needed bulk of a computer.)

Note that ACAT (The Assistive Context-Aware ToolKit), is not meant for mainstream yet, but Intel is working with people to test the software before full release. There is also a full Github for this software available HERE

My Thoughts:

It is nice to see companies doing this sort of thing for free to help those in need. If it was developed by a private organisation or more likely, Government, they would probably charge through the roof for this kit.

Your Thoughts, please leave them down below!

Edit: Fixed some grammar, added an extra thought, updated the title and extra tags

Edited by Alexp10v2

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

My god my life is complete 

imagine if we attach this to our pets & teach em how to talk for real! :o *mind blown*

Cats would say: *One day, I will kill you.*

now this I like :D

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

can i get it on mac?

can i get it on mac?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

can i get it on mac?

oh :(

oh :(

dual boot? :D

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

dual boot? :D

i don't want to. i love OS X and i hate windows compared to it.

i don't want to. i love OS X and i hate windows compared to it.

its ok, its for the greater good :)

its ok, its for the greater good :)

i don't get it.

Can I convert Cortana's voice into Stephen Hawking?  That would be great

My god my life is complete

I read it with prof's Hawking (software) voice in my head ! ;)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/leoking/2015/08/20/stephen-hawking-als-tech-intel-mnd/?utm_campaign=ForbesTech&utm_source=TWITTER&utm_medium=social&utm_channel=Technology&linkId=16431862

Intel has publicly released the speech software which Stephen Hawking uses. The software is now available in Github, where you'll also find the full source code of the software. By doing this Intel hopes that programmers will use the open source code to develop their own software for the sufferers of ALS.

awesome..it will be interesting to see where this goes...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Huh, if only this were available 8 years ago when my grandfather was dying of ALS. Perhaps then someone in our family could have understood his last words. 

Wow... uh that got real dark.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

You linked back to this post, and to a locked post since this one was created first. Do your research before typing. It will go along way...

Because Mod merged the new post with old post...That is good too. hope all reposts gets merged to original ones.