Xbox One vs PS4 vs Cheap PC (Similar value)

XDroidie626

I am looking at getting something for gaming, specifically gaming on a TV, so I was thinking either Xbone or PS4 or a cheap PC (G3258 *OC*, 750Ti)

The device will be transported often, so for the PC I was thinking a CM elite 110, and of course the Xbone and PS4 are portable enough.

I also currently have a high end gaming PC, but it lives in a Define R4, and it weighs quite a bit, and its very expensive so I don't fancy carrying it around.

I would go laptop but there WAY out of what I want to spend ideally.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Maybe the Xbone due to keyboard and mouse suppot coming as well as MS are looking into streaming from PC  to xbox, Or just a PC because you own the games

CPU : i7 5820k l MB : ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER/3.1 l RAM : 64GB l GPUs : GTX 970 l Case : Corsair 350D l SSD 2x250gb HDD 2x3tb Raid0 l CS750M PSU
CPU : i7 920 l MB : Gigabyte GA-Ex58-UD5 l RAM : 24 GB  l Case : CoolerMaster Silencio l 3x3TB Raid 5 l  Corsair VS650 | ESXI 5.5
Asus G551VW | i7 6700HQ | 32 GB | GTX 960M | 500 GB Samsung mSata | 1TB WD 

It would really depend on the games you plan on playing and if you plan on using it for more than just gaming as well like say, watching movies or using netflix, maybe watching movies or watching something from a site that there's really not an app for. Personally I would choose a PS4 for gaming on a tv but that's just for gaming purposes only and nothing else. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Well I was looking into a Brix machine, setting it up so Windows automatically runs the steam view thing, but then it would more than likely be cheaper to build a cheap desktop PC, although using the CM elite 110 would show a challenge I expect (Motherboard stuff)

For games nothing really exclusive, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Maybe Halo I used to enjoy it back in halo 2 days, so only really halo and even that would be just for multiplayer, I'm not to bothered about exclusives really.

It is mostly for the couch gaming setting really, my girlfriend has a brilliant TV in front room, seems a shame to waste it on just Sky :P

Another advantage to console is multiplayer, Halo or maybe even some racing games would bring a good night at my girlfriends, or what ever the PS4 exclusives are.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

if you're already a pc gamer, i'd go for the pc, because you can use the games you already have, rather than buying console games (HUGE price difference if you want a collection of games)

also, theres this tiny case with a handle logan did a build in. nothing is more portable than something small with a handle, right?

EDIT: http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-tu100/

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gRZjxr <- would be the mini PC OCed.

But as I say, consoles have multiplayer, why the hell PC games don't have it locally idk but anyways.

Steam Box? Alienware Alpha? Mini-Itx PC?

With 500$ you can build a system with a (second hand) R9 290...

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

It would really depend on the games you plan on playing and if you plan on using it for more than just gaming as well like say, watching movies or using netflix, maybe watching movies or watching something from a site that there's really not an app for. Personally I would choose a PS4 for gaming on a tv but that's just for gaming purposes only and nothing else. 

Who the hell uses their console for Netflix? They really need to upgrade their TV, Smart TV is pretty much standard since 2011/2012. Or get a Chromecast.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Steam Box? Alienware Alpha? Mini-Itx PC?

With 500$ you can build a system with a (second hand) R9 290...

Well theres a shop in town that sells opened (Box) xbox ones for £239, games are alright for price 2nd hand, and I have a rig already which I believe I will be able to stream from

Well theres a shop in town that sells opened (Box) xbox ones for £239, games are alright for price 2nd hand, and I have a rig already which I believe I will be able to stream from

Do you think £239 is a good price which is 335 euro, while the white xbox one with Sunset Overdrive costs 299 during sales?

2000607395.jpeg

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

It all comes down to what platform has the games you want to play.  I love the Halo franchise, so the XBOX was a logical choice.  Also I would say that for the money ($500) a console will provide a better overall experience for a longer period of time.  If you spend 500 on a PC you will get a mediocre in game experience that is probably on par with consoles (1080/ 30FPS for the most part), only without the benefit of optimization.  IMO PC's for gaming are not worth it unless you are going for around a $1000 build.  Because you state that the intent of this PC is for T.V./Living room use with extreme portability than the choice is clear.  The only downside of consoles is the yearly subscriptions for online services, but IMO it is worth it for the  multiplayer experience in big FPS titles like Battlefield, Star wars Battlefront and Halo.

It all comes down to what platform has the games you want to play.  I love the Halo franchise, so the XBOX was a logical choice.  Also I would say that for the money ($500) a console will provide a better overall experience for a longer period of time.  If you spend 500 on a PC you will get a mediocre in game experience that is probably on par with consoles (1080/ 30FPS for the most part), only without the benefit of optimization.  IMO PC's for gaming are not worth it unless you are going for around a $1000 build.  Because you state that the intent of this PC is for T.V./Living room use with extreme portability than the choice is clear.  The only downside of consoles is the yearly subscriptions for online services, but IMO it is worth it for the  multiplayer experience in big FPS titles like Battlefield, Star wars Battlefront and Halo.

600$ PC, 3 times as powerfull as consoles:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($237.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $620.88

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-14 13:02 EDT-0400

400$ PC, 2 times as powerfull:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.00 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($19.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $409.94

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-14 13:05 EDT-0400

Both these PC's do 1080P 60FPS without any problems, and even 1440P and 4K in some games. Heck, one of the most played games on consoles, Fifa can do 4K 60FPS Ultra settings with no problems.

The only downside of consoles is the yearly subscriptions for online services, but IMO it is worth it for the  multiplayer experience in big FPS titles like Battlefield, Star wars Battlefront and Halo.

Ayyyyyy lmao.. the same "services" are free on PC, and often better.

1TB Console version: 400$

7 years X 60$ membership = 420$

7 years X 1 controller per year = 420$

Total cost console in 7 years: 1240$

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/gRZjxr <- would be the mini PC OCed.

But as I say, consoles have multiplayer, why the hell PC games don't have it locally idk but anyways.

Some do. Notably Lego games.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

thing is i already have a powerful rig, i5 2500, R9 290, 8GB RAM etc, so I can play latest games no issue, I also have a network that can stream no problems.

So I was thinking Xbox so I can play my PC games in the room, and play xbox games on the PC when the TV is been used, Wins both ways there

thing is i already have a powerful rig, i5 2500, R9 290, 8GB RAM etc, so I can play latest games no issue, I also have a network that can stream no problems.

So I was thinking Xbox so I can play my PC games in the room, and play xbox games on the PC when the TV is been used, Wins both ways there

Yea I would say go with a xbox, especially if there are any exclusives you want to play.  Also a article on how to use the ultra stream setting:

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox/xbox-one/how-to-unlock-very-high-quality-xbox-one-streaming-in-windows-10/

Steam link?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Who the hell uses their console for Netflix? They really need to upgrade their TV, Smart TV is pretty much standard since 2011/2012. Or get a Chromecast.

I use my console for netflix because its easier since I have an Xbox ONE so my cable box goes through it so i use it for everything. I have a Smart tv I'm just to lazy to find the remote for it so I can use Netflix on it. My Xbox remote stays next to my bed and it turns my tv on for me so I have a valid reason not to use the tv's remote.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

I am looking at getting something for gaming, specifically gaming on a TV, so I was thinking either Xbone or PS4 or a cheap PC (G3258 *OC*, 750Ti)

The device will be transported often, so for the PC I was thinking a CM elite 110, and of course the Xbone and PS4 are portable enough.

I also currently have a high end gaming PC, but it lives in a Define R4, and it weighs quite a bit, and its very expensive so I don't fancy carrying it around.

I would go laptop but there WAY out of what I want to spend ideally.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

if you want to have a cheap gaming machine for future then go for pc . Games are too much expensive for xbox one and ps4 . But if you want portability , then of course ps4 is good and the best thing is that they are meant to be playes on tv . Not pc

There are currently no PC builds out there that can match the performance of the consoles unless you pirate Windows or buy second hand parts. Personally I enjoy console gaming when gaming on a TV as it's just more convenient and it's great to play with friends. 

There are currently no PC builds out there that can match the performance of the consoles unless you pirate Windows or buy second hand parts. Personally I enjoy console gaming when gaming on a TV as it's just more convenient and it's great to play with friends. 

Linux!

Steam has games for Linux!!!

I have a Mini-ITX rig myself, I wanted portability. (Carried over an existing WIndows License, this build was cheap enough)

Have my case, a few years old now, but Mini-ITX, it's about 18cm tall, 20cm wide, 52cm long,  I have a Mini-Itx Mobo paired with my i3, its great to have such a tiny box still capable of FAST general computing and media watching.

Mini-ITX's can end up getting expensive like all things,...so find the bargains,..... but getting a Mini-ITX-GTX670 is gunna be a nice boost to my machine, and I don't need a 1337 Mini-970 in there, total cost of this i3+ITX670+10TB HDD space so far is about $390 (lucky enough to get some cheap/free stuff elsewhere)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It really depends on which game you want to play

1. RTS, FPS,... go for PC

2. RPG, Racing, Sports,... go for console, or PC with controller

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Personally I enjoy console gaming when gaming on a TV as it's just more convenient and it's great to play with friends. 

Never understood this

Connect PC to TV, get controller.. get friends on chat..... the experience is the same

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii