Privacy danger of installing Windows 10?

Alir

i just went to the privacy menu and disabled everything. Lets see how much good that does for sure.

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

When device encryption is turned on, Windows 10 automatically encrypts the drive its installed on and generates a BitLocker recovery key. That’s backed up to your OneDrive account.

giphy.gif

Well, I turned everything off during the custom install. I mean, if you want to use cortana and onedrive etc. It's not exactly private. But it seems fairly opt in.

If you think windows hasn't been spying on you for years you're a bit naiive...  what matters is what gets done with the data. Up to now MS has been pretty good with that, let's hope it continues that way. Otherwise I'll use windows only for games and do the important stuff on linux, like I should be doing but have been too lazy to actually do (and I'd need a larger ssd for dual booting).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My IP Address is behind a proxy. So It doesn't matter. Probably give them some IP in some other country.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

So windows will collect what people already post to facebook and twitter anyway?

It all sounds reasonable to me.

Blarg

Well, I haven't actuallty got a Windows 10 is ready alert on my Desktop, although I have reserved it.  However, I would never use it on any other devices, the fact it shares wifi passwords and has privacy concerns is too much for me.  I've been using linux for a while on all my computers, except my desktop.  If I can get my games drive to work with the wine install of Steam, I would never use Windows again!

Yes, it does matter. Some people actually care about privacy...

True, for me its not an issue on privacy as much as it is authority.   I don't feel comfortable with a company able to have the authority to track me and do whatever at will. 

And considering I work for an antivirus company, I don't like the lack of security Windows has.  Although it is getting better, but there are holes which are purposely kept for organizations and companies to get through.  And when someone finds an open hole they can get through.

My IP Address is behind a proxy. So It doesn't matter. Probably give them some IP in some other country.

lmao

Yes, it does matter. Some people actually care about privacy...

people who have nothing to hide don't

your location and such is not private, at all. your browsing habits shouldn't be private.

your location and such is not private, at all. your browsing habits shouldn't be private.

Just because I don't having anything to hide doesn't mean that I want everybody to have my data...

lmao

Funny story. My friend got my "ip address"  thinking it was mine (From Skype), he searched it came up that the IP address from India, therefore he assumed I moved to India. I started to laugh and I told that I did move. He believed me for like 1 week unit he saw me. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

does it fuciing matter. its free

So is Cryptolocker

Funny story. My friend got my "ip address"  thinking it was mine (From Skype), he searched it came up that the IP address from India, therefore he assumed I moved to India. I started to laugh and I told that I did move. He believed me for like 1 week unit he saw me. 

I imagine you as an American redneck who wants his guns at all costs

I WANT SOME FREEDOM

12622096-Armed-soldier-hugging-m16-in-st

lmao

Your logic is flawed. Yes, let's give all the rights they want to invade our privacy and space. Just because we don't have anything to hide. lel.

I imagine you as an American redneck who wants his guns at all costs

I WANT SOME FREEDOM

LOL! I'm actually from England. 

Your logic is flawed. Yes, let's give all the rights they want to invade our privacy and space. Just because we don't have anything to hide. lel.

It's to improve their product. What do you think they'll do? Install cameras around your house and watch you masturbate?

So windows will collect what people already post to facebook and twitter anyway?

It all sounds reasonable to me.

And passwords. And what you type on there, even if you use encryption and set up a VPN

people who have nothing to hide

Are you one of them? Can you send me an image of your OS and external hard drives, please?

It's to improve their product. What do you think they'll do? Install cameras around your house and watch you masturbate?

If this sounds alright to you, i wish you best of luck then.

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

The same people worried about privacy whilst running Windows 10, are likely the same people with a smartphone in their pocket. Do you think your smartphone does nothing while you're not using it? I'm not too worried about my "privacy," as often the data they're sending is data I wouldn't mind providing. The only things that keep me on edge, would be sending whatever I type. I agreed to let them do this while I ran the Technical Preview, so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite. 

People are panicking because Microsoft is "invading their privacy." What they often fail to realize is that Google, Facebook, Microsoft, etc have been doing this for years. They're only just now being truly public about it. 

The same people worried about privacy whilst running Windows 10, are likely the same people with a smartphone in their pocket. Do you think your smartphone does nothing while you're not using it? I'm not too worried about my "privacy," as often the data they're sending is data I wouldn't mind providing. The only things that keep me on edge, would be sending whatever I type. I agreed to let them do this while I ran the Technical Preview, so I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite. 

People are panicking because Microsoft is "invading their privacy." What they often fail to realize is that Google, Facebook, Microsoft, etc have been doing this for years. They're only just now being truly public about it. 

Isn't that a reason to panic?

We pride ourselves with being all democratic, open and free. And yet that freedom and privacy is non existent.

Is it possible to disable ALL of these "features"?

I note in the Windows 8 installation, we had the option to disable a lot or all of those "product improvement" programs