what people do wrong with watercooling

Lately i got more and more intressted into watercooling

But then i realized that all big youtubers like Linus himself and JayzTwoCents with SkungWorks do watercooling wrong

They use radiators, massive ones and still can't keep the temps below 50'C. Why do they use massive radiators anyway, they simply use aircooling on the radiators with water transporting the heat. And as you can see, it is very expensive and you still don;t get below 40'C.

Originally watercooling was done with 5 or 10 or sometimes even 50 litre resavoirs. And having so much water will cool any pc and the water won;t even heat up a lot.

Also resavoirs are so expensive as well, they cost like 20 to 50$ for 500ml, and it is still plastic, i could take a small water bootle for 1$ and have the same amount of volume.

A 10 litre one would be a huge cooking pod, costs like 15$.

Since water cooled pc's are mostly not supposed to move anyway, a 10 litre resavoir would not be much trouble. And for aesthetics painting that thing is stil possible.

Let's go with the example of Skunkworks.

Jay is using tons of massive radiators because he has 3 250w graphics cards and an overclocked extreme edition CPU.

We can assume that these at peak (overclocked and all) can be producing up to 1 thousand watts of heat. Compare that to a normal CPU cooler, the Hyper 212 Evo. This is only rated for up to 180w TDPs, meaning that it's not suitable for more than that. Water cooling makes it much easier to get the heat to a bigger surface area which will be more effective at dispersing it.

Sig under construction.

@HowKnows

You know what, seen this and seen that I'm building my pc anyway for myself, i guess I'll use a bigger res...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

I'm sure if they ran at stock speeds they'd barely get above room temperature. the goal of water-cooling (other than looking epic) is to allow for you to run everything faster, and therefore hotter, that's why they still get the same temps as Air cooled systems, they just run faster.

A bigger res (like 10L as you suggested) requires a substantial container, a frankly unnecessary inconvenience, where would you put it?

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

The reason why they are using large radiators is so that they can use fans at a low RPM. Which give you lower acoustic levels.

Yes, they can ramp up the speeds to have lower temps, but you will have a louder system then.

Edit: And a larger reservoir only prolongs the time it takes for the coolant to reach an equilibrium. It doesn't aid in reducing temperatures in any other way.

@HowKnows

You know what, seen this and seen that I'm building my pc anyway for myself, i guess I'll use a bigger res...

A larger res doesn't really matter. It will make the PC heat up slightly more slowly, but the difference after a few minutes will be practically zero. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

@OP I hope you realize that a 50 liter res is EXTREMELLY large. The entire fractal design r5 is just 30 liters. You also mock how they use aircooling on the radiators, but you need to get it out somehow, it won't go away if you don't do something, and using fans and air is the only practical way of doing this. From this post I can tell you really have no idea how watercooling really works.

The size of the res is irrelevant. The system will eventually reach an equilibrium temperature. And it will be the same temp +/- a few degrees for a t line res and a 5 gallon bucket.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

A larger res doesn't really matter. It will make the PC heat up slightly more slowly, but the difference after a few minutes will be practically zero. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

@OP I hope you realize that a 50 liter res is EXTREMELLY large. The entire fractal design r5 is just 30 liters. You also mock how they use aircooling on the radiators, but you need to get it out somehow, it won't go away if you don't do something, and using fans and air is the only practical way of doing this. From this post I can tell you really have no idea how watercooling really works.

As a size example. Here is a common emergency gas tank. That's 20 liters.

71C3fYXnNxL._SY355_.jpg

As a size example. Here is a common emergency gas tank. That's 20 liters.

71C3fYXnNxL._SY355_.jpg

it would be realy cool to make a res out of that jerry can :lol:

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

while i agree that is gigantic and impractical.

a bigger surface would allow more heat to passively pull away without the fan. therefore allowing for a slower fan in theory. However as i said earlier horribly impractical. also cars mostly radiate when still form passive heat transfer so....

you could mod small bear fridge into being a non fan based water cooling resourvoir...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

while i agree that is gigantic and impractical.

a bigger surface would allow more heat to passively pull away without the fan. therefore allowing for a slower fan in theory. However as i said earlier horribly impractical. also cars mostly radiate when still form passive heat transfer so....

you could mod small bear fridge into being a non fan based water cooling resourvoir...

Well actually because of the fins, that entire res will have extremely low surface area compared to any size radiator.

i guess, that with more liquid you could also have more rads and fans, and that will cool better, but that would make for a giant pc-case

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

FakeGamerGuy is makeing a build like this, look here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/385094-passively-cooled-fish-tank-computer/

It is a very interesting concept, but only works up to 500 watts I guess. For a 4 way Titan X config, your tank must be so huge it doesn't make sense anymore. Also the cooldown time will exceed 24 hours.

Using radiators are fine for most systems.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

You ether got pure performance and low temperatures or silent and mid-to-high temperatures.

Thats how all cooling works, unless you go the overkill route.

Hit the nail on the head. My air conditioner is the loudest thing ever so I'm just like screw it. Turn the fans higher.

The reason why they are using large radiators is so that they can use fans at a low RPM. Which give you lower acoustic levels.

Yes, they can ramp up the speeds to have lower temps, but you will have a louder system then.

Edit: And a larger reservoir only prolongs the time it takes for the coolant to reach an equilibrium. It doesn't aid in reducing temperatures in any other way.

You should have realized that with more water the equilibrium is much lower, for 10 litre of water it would be not much more than the room temprature. And heating 10 litre of water up anyway takes ages, even if you have a gas burner with serveral thousands watts, it takes 20 min. And no computer that a person can buy has a heat output of 1500'C. So there you can see that no computer in this world could heat up 10 litre water.

And with 10 litres you don't need any radiators or fans. so it will only be the pump which makes noise

Hit the nail on the head. My air conditioner is the loudest thing ever so I'm just like screw it. Turn the fans higher.

You are right, but 10 litres of water, requires no fans, no radiators, and temps that are around your room temprature. So it's not gonna get any colder unless you use phase cooling or liquid nitrogen, or other cooling liquids that are meant to be a gas at rtp.

You should have realized that with more water the equilibrium is much lower, for 10 litre of water it would be not much more than the room temprature. And heating 10 litre of water up anyway takes ages, even if you have a gas burner with serveral thousands watts, it takes 20 min. And no computer that a person can buy has a heat output of 1500'C. So there you can see that no computer in this world could heat up 10 litre water.

And with 10 litres you don't need any radiators or fans. so it will only be the pump which makes noise

Let's calculate it:

- heat capacity water: 4187 J/kg

- 10 kg water

- 50°C water temp. change (is absolute max, most people will prefere less)

- PC with TDP of 750 watts

energy needed for temp. change of 1°C: 41 870 J

energy needed for temp. change of 50°C: 2 093 500 J = 2 093 500 Ws

-> 2791 seconds = 46.5 minutes

Personally I'd like to run the PC for more than 45 minutes. 10 liters is way to less for a high end system.

The heat transfer of the gas burner is vary bad and most energy goes into the surrounding. That's why it takes so long.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

FakeGamerGuy is makeing a build like this, look here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/385094-passively-cooled-fish-tank-computer/

It is a very interesting concept, but only works up to 500 watts I guess. For a 4 way Titan X config, your tank must be so huge it doesn't make sense anymore. Also the cooldown time will exceed 24 hours.

Using radiators are fine for most systems.

Yes, but casual systems are boring xD. A 10 litre tank would not heat up much anyway, so to return to room temp it might need a few hours but when the temp is only 3'C higher than your room temp, you don;t need to let it cool down anyway.

also radiators are crazy expensive, i mean a 10 litre water tank costs only a fraction of a 480 radiator, and you would need multiple of them to cool an extreme setup

Yes, but casual systems are boring xD. A 10 litre tank would not heat up much anyway, so to return to room temp it might need a few hours but when the temp is only 3'C higher than your room temp, you don;t need to let it cool down anyway.

also radiators are crazy expensive, i mean a 10 litre water tank costs only a fraction of a 480 radiator, and you would need multiple of them to cool an extreme setup

10 liter is not enough. Look at my previous post. You can't trick physik.

Let's calculate it:

- heat capacity water: 4187 J/kg

- 10 kg water

- 50°C water temp. change (is absolute max, most people will prefere less)

- PC with TDP of 750 watts

energy needed for temp. change of 1°C: 41 870 J

energy needed for temp. change of 50°C: 2 093 500 J = 2 093 500 Ws

-> 2791 seconds = 46.5 minutes

Personally I'd like to run the PC for more than 45 minutes. 10 liters is way to less for a high end system.

The heat transfer of the gas burner is vary bad and most energy goes into the surrounding. That's why it takes so long.

If you have taken physics you know that the hotter a body gets, the more heat it looses over time. And if no heat would be dissaperiang out of a loop, then yes it would take only 45 minutes. But really at 49'C which is a 24'C diffrence to the room temp, there is lots of lots of heat loss. So sorry but the water will not heat up much.

To prove this, air can only take up 1 KJ, per 1'C. So if you think that through you will notice that your system should be burning after only minutes. But because heat spreads out, and that water and air diffuse the heat, 10 litre of water will never reach temps above 50'C

To further prove this, get 10 litre of water, put them on a gas cooker, which has several thousands of watts, and wait until they reach 50'C. I am sure it will take at least 15 minutes. And a system of normal proportions doesn't output thousands of watts. Also then measure how long it takes to cool down, you will realize that water at 50'C give away it's heat very very fast.

A gas burner looses a lot of energy to the air ,but it has sooooo much power, that it even after the loss, it will still transfer a lot of energy, more than any computer a person can own to the water

how the hell do you even want to fit a 10L res in our next to your pc without it being an annoyance for you to use?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

10 liter is not enough. Look at my previous post. You can't trick physik.

ok fine, if you really think that 10 litre is not enough, we can expand it to even 50 litre.

And then you really CAN NOT, say that it will heat, because your equation lacks the transfer of heat that occurs when water gets hot.

how the hell do you even want to fit a 10L res in our next to your pc without it being an annoyance for you to use?

You can use longer tubes, and put it somewhere else, like in a corner of your room

And for the looks you can paint the res in the colors of your PC