8Gb vs 16Gb RAM for gaming

Go to solution Solved by Dzzope,

8 is fine unless your a tab monster and run lots of other stuff in the background.

How much difference does having 8Gb vs 16Gb RAM make for gaming? Is it noticeable in AAA titles at the moment?

Thanks!

Edit: DDR3 by the way

no you will not use 8GB with a game

if you are running multiple things in the background in addition to the game then you could possibly run out with 8GB

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

For gaming all you need is 8gb. 16gb is for video editing that sort of stuff.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

i would say 8 doesn't really cut it anymore. go for 16 there is a slight difference in games

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

How much difference does having 8Gb vs 16Gb RAM make for gaming? Is it noticeable in AAA titles at the moment?

Thanks!

Edit: DDR3 by the way

I've always had 8Gb for years but on GTA V I managed to fill 8gb up so that's why I upgraded, I also started to run some VM's for school.

8Gb should work okay but if you have the budget get 16gb.

8 is fine unless your a tab monster and run lots of other stuff in the background.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

In GTA V there is (may have been fixed don't know) a bug where the longer you have it open the larger the amount of ram it uses gets at some point people have had there games using 10gb of ram so you might want 16gb just to combat this.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

If you can afford it get 16gb, it'll be bettter, and new games seem to use a fair bit of ram. 8gb will be enough, but i still recommend 16.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

If you can afford it get 16gb, it'll be bettter, and new games seem to use a fair bit of ram. 8gb will be enough, but i still recommend 16.

If 8GBs is enough, and OP will not use more than 8Gbs, why would you recommend it? That just seems, ludicrous. 

If 8GBs is enough, and OP will not use more than 8Gbs, why would you recommend it? That just seems, ludicrous. 

8gb is fine just for just gaming right now, but if you want to do multiple things at once or want it to be ''future proof'' 16gb is a huge advantage

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

8GB is fine for gaming now (Not sure about a few years from now), but if you're a heavy multitasker/ streamer then you need more than 8GB. Iv'e used more than 8GB of RAM not even streaming.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

most games are 32 bit clients thus can only access 4GB of ram in a 64 bit OS and about 3 GB in a 32bit OS

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Personally I use 8 gigs a lot, and I think it is a good middle ground. 4 gigs is not enough at all 8 is perfect and 16 is too much imho. But if you are going to doing stuff (streaming) or if you have dual monitors and want something to run in the background (ie twitter, afterburner etc.) and if you have the budget go for 16, you won't have to worry about upgrading.

Ran by coffee

8GB is fine, but i tend to run out saing as i always have spotify and skype/teamspeak also spotify memoryleaks A LOT

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If you're planning on playing GTA5 get the 16GB, I chewed threw 8 GB in about 2 hours and I only had HWMonitor running in the background, I originally got 16GB for running VM and GNS3 and its one less thing to worry about now.

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

most games are 32 bit clients thus can only access 4GB of ram in a 64 bit OS and about 3 GB in a 32bit OS

While true, it isn't an absolute.  One I can think of off the top of my head is SWTOR which while 32bit actually starts two processes which (of course) allows it to bypass that limited since each process can use 4GB.

16GB because then you won't have to worry about running out of ram.

While true, it isn't an absolute.  One I can think of off the top of my head is SWTOR which while 32bit actually starts two processes which (of course) allows it to bypass that limited since each process can use 4GB.

thats true and i'm sure a few programs use this trick, i'm willing to bet most don't. I have seen a few games requiring 64bit OS, but for the time being 8gb is enough. 

might also point out that more ram != runs faster. ram speed actually does very little in terms of FPS

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

If you open tabs like ever. Get 16.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

If you play super duper modded skyrim then yea. I always hit 10GB, 12 in rare cases.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

thats true and i'm sure a few programs use this trick, i'm willing to bet most don't. I have seen a few games requiring 64bit OS, but for the time being 8gb is enough. 

might also point out that more ram != runs faster. ram speed actually does very little in terms of FPS

Yeah, 8 is enough for gaming.  Even on games that split the process the likeliness of them using close to 8 is fairly small.  There's currently just a handful of games where you would have to make sure you don't have unneeded processing running so you don't writing out.  

i tend to run chrome and Skype and other things when gaming so i have 16 but i have only just upgraded i was running 8GB for the past 2 years and it was fine ran out sometimes though  

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Some larger games like GTA V seem to run into some slight stuttering issues even if you're not fully maxed out on RAM... I never actually reach 8GB of RAM usage, but once I get around ~6.5GB GTA V starts freezing every so often for like 1/4 of a second, even though there's more RAM available.

I'd say that 8GB is enough to game... but if you can afford 16GB you should go for it.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W