Microsoft looks to be acquiring Blackberry [rumor, but may be really happening]

Source:  http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/05/25/rumor-microsoft-interested-in-acquiring-blackberry

12997-7352-blackberrypassport-l.jpg

Microsoft is rumored to be talking with investment firms about the prospect of buying out Canadian smartphone maker BlackBerry, likely motivated by a desire to deepen its foray into the mobile enterprise and gain access to BlackBerry's patent trove.

Of course, this is a big rumor at the moment... but this could be big news for the slowly failing phone company.  Surely, Blackberry has incredible assets and IPs so this could be great for everyone involved.  The word is that Lenovo may be expressing interest too.  As of right, their stock is tanking, but maybe this is what the company needs to rise back up into a market that needs technology pioneers such as them.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

This could be good for Microsoft, yet bad for consumers.

There's all this suspicion that Microsoft has a lot going on with the NSA, so if there were more and better Windows Phones...

Sig under construction.

They should combine the two companies' mobile departments, and call it "Blacksoft." 

..I didn't think that one through thoroughly. 

Not sure why MS needs any more phone companies after they got a hold of nokia's manufacturing plants...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Not sure why MS needs any more phone companies after they got a hold of nokia's manufacturing plants...

probably patents, BB must have some juicy patents, especially on mobile security

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

probably patents, BB must have some juicy patents, especially on mobile security

Exactly.  Blackberry had (and probably still has) some of the most innovative tech in the "mobile security" parts of the industry.  Lots of intellectual property gold is awaiting them if they close the deal.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

Given how great Blackberry was with Enterprise security for their phones, this would actually make far more sense for Microsoft than when they bought Nokia.

Blackberry is the standard is the business world so that is where most of their value is. IP is included in that.

This is actually pretty good I think, Microsoft is really entangled with the Enterprise.  And most security people in the enterprise use Blackberry Z10s now.  Primarily because of Blackberry's Security.  If Microsoft can pull this off and potentially get BlackBerry to go back up, or just become enterprise only it could be really useful. 

Just, If Microsoft tries to put Windows 10 on blackberry phones.  They are screwed.  

Blackberry already have excellent enterprise tools.

One can only imagine what could be down if those tools were fully integrated with Microsoft Server.

Assuming the same reason why Google bought Motorola then sold them off, those patents.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

I doubt much will come of this. How many companies have been rumoured to want to buy blackberry?

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I doubt much will come of this. How many companies have been rumoured to want to buy blackberry?

MS is not just any company. They spell doom for any other company they get too close to. Ask IBM and nokia...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Highly doubt it.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

They should combine the two companies' mobile departments, and call it "Blacksoft." 

..I didn't think that one through thoroughly. 

"microberry"

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

MS is not just any company. They spell doom for any other company they get too close to. Ask IBM and nokia...

LoL. But blackberry is already might as well be dead now anyways.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Wasn't there rumors that Apple wanted to acquire them too?

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

So how would Microsoft call them? Windows Black? Sounds racist lol. Windy Berry? lol

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

This could be good for Microsoft, yet bad for consumers.

There's all this suspicion that Microsoft has a lot going on with the NSA, so if there were more and better Windows Phones...

Yet they move all of their stored customer data offshore to Ireland where the NSA cat touch them :P

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD