Titan X or Fiji XT?

KarateHottie93

After putting back what's left over from bills each month, I should have enough to get one or the other around the time Skylake launches. I have never actually bought the highest end GPU on the market. I usually go with what's great but not overkill. In my primary Intel build I have a 970 and in my AMD build I have a 290x so this is new for me. When Skylake hits, I wanna have the most diesel rig on the block though. The Titan X is an amazing card, there is no doubt about it. Fiji looks like a whole new animal though. Even with only 4 gigs of memory, that HBM looks so roided out it won't even matter. I'm at such a crossroads here. I will end up with both eventually anyways when Zen launces and I put the Fiji if I already have it into that rig and get a Titan for the Skylake.

Still though...I'm not sure which one to get to play around with until that day :/

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Do you like PhysX?  If so there is only one choice.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Why are you only considering amd cpu/amd gpu vs intel cpu/nvidia gpu?

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

Titan X because you probably don't want to wait... Or the AMD card, if you want to wait ....

We don't know how the new AMD card will perform.

We're not wizards.

are-you-a-wizard.jpg

I'm a wizard 

Titan x is great, but if moeny is a concern, I'd wait to see what AMD has to offer. It may be a great single gpu, but  it is a grand. I doubt anything amd will offer will cost that much single gpu wise. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Last time I heard about Fiji actually launching was two months from now. This was a quote directly from an AMD representative. So that puts it at around July. So honestly I was going to wait for it also, but I'm not waiting anymore. The 980 Ti is going to be out way before July and I'm just going to grab one of those. I recommend you do that too. It's about 5-9% slower than a Titan X and most likely $200-300 cheaper than a Titan X. We already have seen its core count of 2816 Cuda Cores, 256 less than a Titan X. Not all that much of a big deal. Will have 6GB of VRAM. I'm thinking around $700-750 price tag

Last time I heard about Fiji actually launching was two months from now. This was a quote directly from an AMD representative. So that puts it at around July. So honestly I was going to wait for it also, but I'm not waiting anymore. The 980 Ti is going to be out way before July and I'm just going to grab one of those. I recommend you do that too. It's about 5-9% slower than a Titan X and most likely $200-300 cheaper than a Titan X. We already have seen its core count of 2816 Cuda Cores, 256 less than a Titan X. Not all that much of a big deal. Will have 6GB of VRAM. I'm thinking around $700-750 price tag

well if that's the case that's compelling if it's that close to the titan x 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

well if that's the case that's compelling if it's that close to the titan x 

Exactly, and don't forget non-reference versions of it will have higher clock speeds out of the gate so even with 256 less Cuda Cores than a Titan X I guarantee we see non-reference versions being as fast or faster than a Titan X stock by making up the loss of Cuda Cores with Clockspeeds. Plus with non-reference coolers we can see even better overclocks than compared to a reference Titan X cooler. So in the end it will be faster in most cases, but slower on paper.

Cant wait for 980Ti anymore.. Aaarrgghh...

Im running out of vram with my old 780 right now.

Cant wait for 980Ti anymore.. Aaarrgghh...

Im running out of vram with my old 780 right now.

How are you running out of 3GB?

How are you running out of 3GB?

probably 4k or heavy skyrim modding

Do you like PhysX?  If so there is only one choice.

AMD uses PhysX also sir. just a FYI.. wouldn't be able to play Metro 2033 etc if It didn't ;)

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

Why not we wait till the card comes out?

YEA this 1 makes since to me. ;)  Titan is out of the price range of a lot of people out there so it will be around till 4th quarter. So plenty of time to pull your hair out :D

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

OR! Wait for the 980 Ti ;)

Lol sorry for not replying to you guys. Had to sleep for work after making thread and then have just been too busy with more work to get on here since. No doubt the 980 ti will be a monster but I just really want the best of the best when it comes to the current GPUS not named FirePro or Quadro. It's kinda a bucket list thing as dumb as it sounds. Like I said, I'll get both but I really just wanna play around with one in the mean time. By the time I can afford either, Fiji will be out. I just really want one or the other. I have a feeling they will be pretty even in most areas. Part of me says Titan because it's a Titan. Part of me says Fiji cause it's new technology and I really wanna see AMD succeed for better competition.

AMD uses PhysX also sir. just a FYI.. wouldn't be able to play Metro 2033 etc if It didn't ;)

AMD does not have PhysX.  It is proprietary and Nvidia owns it.  

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Get a Titan X now. Its available now and you're going to get the other later anyways. AMD's card might be great, or it may fail to beat the TiX.

I wanted the "Big" Maxwell and will do the same with Pascal. ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Guess you weren't playing Metro 2033 with PhysX enabled then? You can't have a AMD gpu ustilize PhysX.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Those are the only two options?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Those are the only two options?

intel cpu/ amd gpu as well

ik you know and were just trying to point it out. But I wanted to push your buttons...so there.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

intel cpu/ amd gpu as well

ik you know and were just trying to point it out. But I wanted to push your buttons...so there.

noted.

snip

*rant

comes down to the age old NVidia vs AMD debate.

Im going GM200 over Fiji XT simply because Nvidia have a much better package (drivers, game dev. penetration, regular updates) than AMD can offer.

When ever I have had AMD cards (4850, 4870, 5450, 6970, r9 280x, r9 290, r9 290) I have ALWAYS had one issue or another with drivers or game support. (never a physical problem however)

When ever I have had Nvidia cards (7600, 8600gs, gtx260, gtx270m, gtx480, gtx570hd, gtx650, gtx670, gtx770, gtx980) I have never had an issue, save for the gtx270m and gtx260 that eventually cooked themselves and died entirely and the gtx570hd that suffered physical damage. - edit: I once had an issue where the GeForce experience wouldn't download drivers for me, I grabbed directly from Nvidia website and it sorted it.

AMD will need to really gain some traction in the market before I go back to them, their "Catalyst" drivers attracted me back to them and it all went really badly. Even the 280x had issues with Windows detecting it as a 7970hd and running the WDDM driver over the catalyst drivers...

Unless the Fiji is 40% faster for the same money, or 40% cheaper for the same speed, I wont touch it.

/rant

tldr; Nvidia are "better" in my experience

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Oh you know how it is...just feels weird to mix AMD with the other for some reason to me.