TechPowerUP | It's Now Been Over 160 Days Since a Catalyst WHQL Release

source: https://www.techpowerup.com/212724/its-now-been-over-160-days-since-a-catalyst-whql-release.html

73b.jpg

It has been over 160 days since AMD released a WHQL-signed Catalyst driver update, in what is a clear sign of decay in the company's after-sales support for the consumer graphics market. Once tuned to a near-monthly release of its Catalyst Software suite, which added optimzations for new games, improved upon support for existing ones; CrossFire multi-GPU support profiles; even if not adding support for new GPUs; AMD slipped into quarterly WHQL release cycle in 2013-14. It now seems to have deviated from even that.

The company's last WHQL-signed Catalyst release was Catalyst 14.12 Omega WHQL, which released on 09/12/2014

---

the thing is, it's not the 1st time it happened:

25th of May 2014 - Catalyst 14.4 WHQL got released

the next WHQL would be 14.9, released 158 days later

Main things that haven't been addressed by AMD in their Catalyst releases:

* if you can thing of any, post below

---

I'm sure many will say WHQL doesn't matter, but the fact is MicroSoft validates that the driver is issues free and stable on their test-beds

just had to say it nvidias win 10 drivers SUCK I have to roll them back every time windows updates because everything is choppy

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

AMD... They focus too much on the 300 series. Tut, tut. Drivers are just as important. I hope this driver brings better yields to the team red because I do feel awful for people who have an AMD rig and struggle to run the Witcher 3 :/

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

just had to say it nvidias win 10 drivers SUCK I have to roll them back every time windows updates because everything is choppy

I got quite the opposite experience: D3 RoS spews TDR errors in both W7 x64 and W8.1 x64, but not with W10 x64 preview and latest WHQL

its a fact that you need to have windows drivers and nvidia drivers work together at the same time

since windows 10 is not released yet they are probably making quick modifications to the display drivers, and nvidia has to modify a new driver update to make it work again

last time I had this problem I just reverted my nvidia driver version to the previous one and reinstall the windows display driver update and it fixed it

but windows 10 is not released yet so you shouldn't be complaining about your experience because its BETA!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

both the drivers and win10 are in beta... what did you expect?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

At least we don't get shit performance on old gen cards  :lol:

jk no hate plz  :ph34r: 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

AMD... They focus too much on the 300 series. Tut, tut. Drivers are just as important. I hope this driver brings better yields to the team red because I do feel awful for people who have an AMD rig and struggle to run the Witcher 3 :/

I can run the game on mostly high - Ultra settings at about 60FPS on a 7850... :/

I wonder how long it takes for WHQL testing. If it takes awhile then idc if AMD doesn't submit every driver update for WHQL testing, I would rather have the driver sooner

I wonder how long it takes for WHQL testing.

last time I heard about it, was 14 days

last time I heard about it, was 14 days

Then I don't mind AMD ignoring WHQL testing for drivers that are for improving game performance of new games. It's better to have people playing with non-WHQL drivers than have them play the game for 2 weeks with old drivers just for a special label. In two weeks most people will have beaten the game. 

WHQL is not a concern IMO.

What's important is having launch day drivers for big AAA games which need it. They did a good job with GTA V. But ProjekT cars and witcher 3 driver is only coming next week. Witcher 3 already performs well on AMD, but the driver to fix Projekt Cars was needed on launch day.

IMO that's a bigger concern than whql because AMD's beta releases seem to be generally good.

its a fact that you need to have windows drivers and nvidia drivers work together at the same time

since windows 10 is not released yet they are probably making quick modifications to the display drivers, and nvidia has to modify a new driver update to make it work again

last time I had this problem I just reverted my nvidia driver version to the previous one and reinstall the windows display driver update and it fixed it

but windows 10 is not released yet so you shouldn't be complaining about your experience because its BETA!

not complaining just saying its not a feature the 344.48 driver works perfect for my 650

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Then I don't mind AMD ignoring WHQL testing for drivers that are for improving game performance of new games. It's better to have people playing with non-WHQL drivers than have them play the game for 2 weeks with old drivers just for a special label. In two weeks most people will have beaten the game. 

if AMD and the game developer work togheter, AMD could have a WHQL driver ready at the game's launch

look at nVidia, day before the TW3 launch they had a WHQL ready; same with GTA5, day before, nVidia had a WHQL driver

They focus too much on the 300 series?

We don't even damn know if they are working on it or not.

Also, the catalyst driver works perfectly fine for 160 days. But the green side has to update every week to make sure their shit doesent.

amd also doesent gimp previous generations card

And please don't tell me too look at my member status

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Can't say I'm surprised, this is not a new thing to me. Sad but true

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

WHQL just means the driver was certified by Microsoft. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a good driver. TechPowerUp has became a part of the NVIDIA PR machine.

P.S. It's only been about 23 days as 15.200.1023.0 is WHQL certified.

They're currently focusing on Window 10 driver, no time for Window 7//8/8.1   -_-

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

WHQL just means the driver was certified by Microsoft. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a good driver. TechPowerUp has became a part of the NVIDIA PR machine.

P.S. It's only been about 23 days as 15.200.1023.0 is WHQL certified.

Isn't that driver exclusive to Windows 10?

I do agree with most of what's been posted above, I could care less about the WHQL certification if the drivers are solid.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

WHQL is not a concern IMO.

What's important is having launch day drivers for big AAA games which need it. They did a good job with GTA V. But ProjekT cars and witcher 3 driver is only coming next week. Witcher 3 already performs well on AMD, but the driver to fix Projekt Cars was needed on launch day.

IMO that's a bigger concern than whql because AMD's beta releases seem to be generally good.

For us gamers, absolutely.

But corporate users actually do need WHQL drivers. I don't think they need extremely frequent updates for those but still I'd be nice.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I could care less about the WHQL certification if the drivers are solid.

That means you do care though

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

That means you do care though

Enlighten me, how does that mean I care?

Is a WHQL certification the only means of giving us good drivers, have there been no good drivers that lack a WHQL certification?

A company can simply hold itself to a high standard, and this rI06ks9.png isn't the only way of getting solid drivers

No, I really don't care about that stupid certification.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Didn't nvidia release something like three whql drivers in the last ~4 years that literally killed cards?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Enlighten me, how does that mean I care?

Is a WHQL certification the only means of giving us good drivers, have there been no good drivers that lack a WHQL certification?

A company can simply hold itself to a high standard, and this rI06ks9.png isn't the only way of getting solid drivers

No, I really don't care about that stupid certification.

1TEAMALpspse6oac6bwq05rPo1_400.png

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Didn't nvidia release something like three whql drivers in the last ~4 years that literally killed cards?

No

"only" 2.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |