[Microsoft Ignite] - Continuum in action (video) - Tablet/Phone GUI -> Desktop GUI when connected to a display.

GoodBytes

Today is the first day of Microsoft Ignite event. If you have been following, you know that Microsoft BUILD event just passed. BUILD event is an event that is focused to developers. Usually, only the first keynote event has things that can be interesting to most people on this forum. I have previously covered day 1 of BUILD event, but today I'll cover Ignite, but a bit differently, instead of covering everything like I did with BUILD in one shot, which led many to complain about the oh so many pictures, Ignite is more IT professional focused, which affects more people here, so I have decided to cover key feature by key feature. Look for "[Microsoft Ignite]" tag on the title.

Today Microsoft showcase the feature talked about a lot with Windows 10: Continuum.

For those that don't have a convertible device running Windows 10 or a small tablet running Windows 10 that can be connected to a large display, or don't even have Windows 10 preview, Microsoft does a demo of this feature.

Firstly, Microsoft shows how Windows 10 interface adapted with a convertible device such as the Surface Pro 3. The interface is by default like Windows 10 on a desktop computer. When you detach the keyboard, Windows asks the user if it wants to go under Tablet mode. Tapping yes, will make Windows interface auto adjust to tablet mode. No restart or logoff needed.

The Start Menu turns full screen. The task bar clears itself (there is an option to make it no do this if you prefer to switch between apps that way, if you wonder), you can switch app by swapping on the left of the screen inward with your thumb. Swiping right side of the screen inward will show the action center / notification pane of Windows 10, which allows to adjust the value, and screen brightness, and other options similarly from Windows 8.

So that is a bit of Continuum. You can view the full day 1 keynote here: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Ignite/2015/KEY01(warning HQ quality is 6.1GB)

What do you think?

I was there. Cool shit, huh?

But thanks for posting, everyone should see this!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

The most shocking thing to me during this segment was when he mentioned only ~5% of Windows users use Alt + Tab to switch windows... If you've ever seen other Windows telemetry data its depressing how many users do not use the fantastic usability features/shortcuts already built into the OS. Often times they make a GUI for something that already exists as a keyboard shortcut because people just don't use keyboard shortcuts, then when the users get the GUI they praise it or say "Finally!" even though the functionality already existed for years. -.-

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

wow, i can't wait for microsoft to make an x86 Windows Phone with Intel Inside, that, in theory, could run full Win32 apps from your phone

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Hmm, definitely a step in the right direction but i want all of the tablet designed features completely gone while in desktop mode (no more flat tiles and crap just give me Windows 7 interface).

Hmm, definitely a step in the right direction but i want all of the tablet designed features completely gone while in desktop mode (no more flat tiles and crap just give me Windows 7 interface).

You should to learn to live with it, and learn how more powerful and useful they can be to you.

Imagine quick launching your mostly played games, see the hot news, weather, pin project folders, and most used programs for quick and easy access.

I want this. I want a surface pro.

but I want it with an eGPU dock. 

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

but I want it with an eGPU dock.

Yes. That would be awesome!

Xbone exclusives ported to PC, else I don't care about anything.

You should to learn to live with it, and learn how more powerful and useful they can be to you.

Imagine quick launching your mostly played games, see the hot news, weather, pin project folders, and most used programs for quick and easy access.

I can already do most of that on windows 7, with a mouse. It's called google chrome, the desktop, and multiple monitors.

The metro look is ugly, in my opinion.

Edited by GoodBytes
Filtered insults

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yes. That would be awesome!

Couldn't it theoretically be done in the same way you can switch from on die to discreet mobile Gpus On the fly?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Yes, that is how it works for external GPUs. The problem is the connector. Obviously a PCI-E 16x connector on the side of the Surface is a bit ridiculous. So a smaller connector needs to be made, and due to the high bandwidth requirement, plus now you need to try and keep the speed up on longer distances (that means the wire to the connector of the device, and the connector of the dock station to the controller and that to the actual PCI-E lane. This costs a lot of money. Thunderbolt is too expensive in every way, and limited in performance. Dell solution for its Alienware laptop is nice, although limited to 4x PCI-E, and you need to keep in mind of patents, and well, R&D. Microsoft needs to see how many Surface Pro they'll sale more, if any additional ones, for this feature. The dock will need to cover R&D, and depending on what is planned to cost, it can be 200-300$ more than the current cost.

Another problem is power. A powerful GPU consumes a lot of power. So that means you need an expensive, large and bulky power adapter. for the dock.

Lastly, support. You need to support it, and make sure people know about the power limitation that the dock can deliver to the card. This add costs.

Dell Alienware eGPU solution is 500$ JUST the dock. While it is more than half the price than a thunderbolt solution, it is still 500$ Are you willing to spend 1300$ on a Surface Pro med range model (with keyboard), and another 500$ just for the eGPU solution which is only 4x PCI-E, PLUS you need to get a GPU. And it is Microsoft, they'll definitely charge 500$ for it.

So it is truly awesome on paper, but not possible in reality, yet. We can't use USB, as USB is needs the CPU to process everything, it needs to have a dedicated controller which is why making a connector is pricey, as you need 2 (one on each side) fast enough to handle the bandwidth.

In the future it might be possible, and the needed chips for even 8x PCI-E 3.0 might be cheap as well, making the entire things cost 100$ at most with a nice profit margin. But as of today, I don't see it happening.

-snip-

I'm curious, what makes a Thunderbolt implementation expensive actually? Also what is the equivalent pci-e 3.0 speed & bandwidth to a single TB2? can 2x TB2 be run in parallel and thus doubling the bandwidth?

I'm curious, what makes a Thunderbolt implementation expensive actually? Also what is the equivalent pci-e 3.0 speed & bandwidth to a single TB2? can 2x TB2 be run in parallel and thus doubling the bandwidth?

Both controller chips needed on each side and the really high license fees by Intel.

Both controller chips needed on each side and the really high license fees by Intel.

So really it's just because of the high license fees by Intel, not so much of the tech stuffs that's hindering the adoption of TB2? Man I wish I could one day afford to utilise the dual TB2 on my rmbp before it becomes obsolete like the old firewire.

It's not that it isn't useful it's just that on a desktop PC equipped with a mouse and keyboard that interface just doesn't work that well. Personally I'd rather use the desktop interface than the touch ones any day.

It's not that it isn't useful it's just that on a desktop PC equipped with a mouse and keyboard that interface just doesn't work that well. Personally I'd rather use the desktop interface than the touch ones any day.

You don't seam to have tried it. :/

When you read the topic and comment on it that means you care.

Good good MS.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I can already do most of that on windows 7, with a mouse. It's called google chrome, the desktop, and multiple monitors.

The metro look is ugly, in my opinion.

your Thinking only about your use case scenario , which is not the same for everyone,  in particular these features are more tailored towards business

the fact is this many business are switching to mobile laptop or tablets with docks, do to BYOD becoming the new standerd, having a  BYOD  policy reduce the need for expensive servicing and also reduced space do to not having desktops (which like it or not can take up a lot of space).

from a productivity standpoint I really love this feature

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

your Thinking only about your use case scenario , which is not the same for everyone,  in particular these features are more tailored towards business

the fact is this many business are switching to mobile laptop or tablets with docks, do to BYOD becoming the new standerd, having a  BYOD  policy reduce the need for expensive servicing and also reduced space do to not having desktops (which like it or not can take up a lot of space).

from a productivity standpoint I really love this feature

True, but as I'm going into Networking Security, I'll probably have or need a desktop depending on where I work.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

True, but as I'm going into Networking Security, I'll probably have or need a desktop depending on where I work.

going into network administration here, very interested in network security as well,

yeah i understand  trying to do a multi monitor setup from a tablet dock would be impossible, but in my use case scenario a ultrabook  with a dock (I really wish lenovo thinkpad yogas came with a low level quadro)  would be suitable.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |