A new Fractal Design case, "Define S"?

Supposedly non-windowed is 79.99

Hmm which puts the windowed 10-15 more (at the low end of average increases) which is about 20 bucks less than the r5. I get the price point but im not sure if the feature set matches it.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Looks are subjective and not everyone is like #720nocaopefetrektmatefetfucked some people like the look of aerocool strike-x series - me included - a lot of people forget looks are subjective.

Easier to build perhaps but I don't know what easy means as it's pretty freaking easy to build in the strike-x.

I wasn't equating a case to be easy to build in if it doesn't look like a youthfully edgy case.

Looks being subjective is universally known, so I don't know what the point of your post is.

I'll give you that, it is better than the H440s, but airflow is and should be a concern. Just yesterday I was helping a guy with an H440, with a top mounted radiator getting stupid high temps. He removed the top panel and instantly it became normal. Also the G10 mod has issues with people using it in H440s and Define R4/5. Not to the point of instability, but the performance is not what you would expect if you had a better case with more airflow.

For silence, I bet these cases are great, but there is a trade-off to be made.

In my case, I have an NH-D14 on my 2500k (overclocked to 4.4Ghz) and a 980; I'm getting the same temps on those parts in my R4 that I was in in my Air 540. I opened up one vent on the top with a fan to pull air in, I have one fan on the front pulling in air, one more fan on the bottom pulling in air and one in the back exhausting, and I'm using one less case fan in this configuration than I was in the Air 540 (stock case fans, too). I also have these fans in a controller at the lowest speed possible to keep those temps while remaining quiet. I don't pay attention to the speed, just the noise, so I can't really give an exact speed I'm using.

You ever built in a Define case?

No, but i never said it was bad. I just does not have what I am looking for.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

No, but i never said it was bad. I just does not have what I am looking for.

Yeah but half of your original statement was "It's commonly used", so that should tell you something. I'm also not saying that you said it was bad.

Since it's not what you're looking for, I was only replying to see why you said what you said, basically. I want to know what you're looking for.

Now if only they had that window on an r4 or r5, I would get one of those instead maybe.

I was going to keep my R4 before I decided I wanted a custom loop, and a custom loop just doesn't make sense in an R4 to me, since the window isn't big enough to show off any of the hardware :/

got an air 540 instead, I actually really love this thing, but it's quite a dust trap.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yeah but half of your original statement was "It's commonly used", so that should tell you something. I'm also not saying that you said it was bad.

Since it's not what you're looking for, I was only replying to see why you said what you said, basically. I want to know what you're looking for.

Right now I am looking for a box case like the corsair air line, can fit 2+ rads in it, fit ATX or bigger MOBO, brushed aluminum panels, and as small as it can be.

Right now I am looking for a box case like the corsair air line, can fit 2+ rads in it, fit ATX or bigger MOBO, brushed aluminum panels, and as small as it can be.

I've actually been on the hunt for a case like that. I know Fractal has a M-ATX case that would do that (depending on rad size), though. I was actually going to get one of those but I didn't want to buy a new motherboard and CPU - currently using a 2500k and an ATX mobo.

Now if only they had that window on an r4 or r5, I would get one of those instead maybe.

I was going to keep my R4 before I decided I wanted a custom loop, and a custom loop just doesn't make sense in an R4 to me, since the window isn't big enough to show off any of the hardware :/

got an air 540 instead, I actually really love this thing, but it's quite a dust trap.

Maybe that sidepanel will fit on the R5 :)

I've actually been on the hunt for a case like that. I know Fractal has a M-ATX case that would do that (depending on rad size), though. I was actually going to get one of those but I didn't want to buy a new motherboard and CPU - currently using a 2500k and an ATX mobo.

the one I seem to like, thats not caselabs, is the Cooltek W2 with window

So its an R5 without the mod-u-vent system, which is like the R4... so its an R4.5?

it has the mod-u-vent system ;) watch the vids

I was dead set on getting an R5 until reading how much cheaper this is in comparison. Although I probably won't do much water cooling and might want an optical drive in the future...

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Two words about this case: Almost Perfect!

I <3 the fact that Fractal is taking everything to the next level.

Velcro ties, discreet storage mounting, moduvents, sound dampening, grommets, only 80$

Looks like this case has all the ingredients for a nerdgasm.

The only Thing I feel that is Front USB type C. But then again, The first MBs with Type C are just coming out.

So H440 Vs R5 

S340 Vs S 

I like it but I'm happy with the S340 :) 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

So its an R5 without the mod-u-vent system, which is like the R4... so its an R4.5?

nope, it actually has the mod-u-vent system

SFK5GT1.jpg

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Loving my Define R5, But the S looks good and promising for water cooling builds.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Only thing you lose actually is 4 3.5 inch drive cages and optical bays. The cool thing is that as far as I know, you can user all the storage options at the same time as all the rad options. This couldn't be done with the regular r5. You also keep the foam according to the fractal website. Since you only lose drive cages, this is a great value imo.

At a lower price than the R5 too

Spoiler

So no silencing in mind whatsoever, yet it still retains the side-entry front-intake system purely for aesthetics which are mind-numbingly boring anyway. Stupid and pointless, why not just have grills at the front - i'd take airflow over aesthetics any day. However I do very much like the idea of no hard-drive cages. If the back-of-the-mobo-tray area is wide enough, then that might actually work. other than that, I find this case far too simple for my tastes.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

So no silencing in mind whatsoever, yet it still retains the side-entry front-intake system purely for aesthetics which are mind-numbingly boring anyway. Stupid and pointless, why not just have grills at the front - i'd take airflow over aesthetics any day. However I do very much like the idea of no hard-drive cages. If the back-of-the-mobo-tray area is wide enough, then that might actually work. other than that, I find this case far too simple for my tastes.

That design just looks good.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The windowless version is $100 CAD on NCIX. This makes my decision between a Define R5 and Define S very difficult, seeing as the R5 can go for $110 CAD sometimes.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

The windowless version is $100 CAD on NCIX. This makes my decision between a Define R5 and Define S very difficult, seeing as the R5 can go for $110 CAD sometimes.

Well, here in germany the price difference would be about 40€ if 80€ will be the actual price for the window-version of the S

Edit: I just found this http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00WGFVQXC/?qid=1429780702&sr=8-1&keywords=fractal+design+define+s

Is fractal deliberatly trying to get me on the fence here?

174€? this a joke???

Edit 2: oh well, it seems to be amazon that's to blame. ComputerUniverse.de has it listed for 89€

Well, here in germany the price difference would be about 40€ if 80€ will be the actual price for the window-version of the S

Edit: I just found this http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00WGFVQXC/?qid=1429780702&sr=8-1&keywords=fractal+design+define+s

Is fractal deliberatly trying to get me on the fence here?

174€? this a joke???

Edit 2: oh well, it seems to be amazon that's to blame. ComputerUniverse.de has it listed for 89€

174 euros would be ridiculous lol

DOES THIS MEAN PRICE DROP? I LIKE PRICE DROPS

WHOOP WHOOP,

NOW I CAN WALK INTO A COMPUTER SHOP AND MAKE IT RAIN $1s FOR MY CASES WITHOUT BEING THERE FO HOURS!!!!!!!!

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.