Am i the only person in the world that wants a thicker ,cooler laptop ?

qwertywarrior

what is up with high end laptops that are paper thin  that try to cool it self with high rpm fans

the only midrange thick laptops are the T series at lenovo

everything else will give u paper cuts

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I was about to come here and slap clevo in your face like linus slaps linda.com in it, but I relise you are talking about non-gaming, workstation or home use laptops. 

Yah, I agree. It kinda sucks. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I was about to come here and slap clevo in your face like linus slaps linda.com in it, but I relise you are talking about non-gaming, workstation or home use laptops. 

yeah i was talking about midrange

i holding on my T530 for dear life 

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

A lot of people who do not know a lot about specs will just pick the best looking laptop in their budget, these are also receiving the most marketing for the same reason. The not as good looking ones with decent specs don't need as much marketing because people who are knowledgeable on the subject will research for themselves. 

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

I use a MSI GT70 for everything but gaming, but having decent a thick battery(although mine is dead) and user access to the components is nice. I also like that its a full featured machine, I don't have to carry a separate DVD drive or USB hub to do simple things. I widh laptops would get thicker again, but the market won't push for it.

what is up with high end laptops that are paper thin  that try to cool it self with high rpm fans

I think the current trend is "thin". That's why even non-gaming workstation laptop is getting thinner and thinner. :( Kind of sux, this I agree.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

All I want is a notebook that is super thin, touchscreen, detachable tablet, with more graphics horsepower than CPU.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

I wouldn't mind a laptop that was massive and heavy, as long as it allows me to game at decent temps with decent CPU/GPU performance. Anything is better than the idea of lugging around my Phanteks Enthoo Pro...

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

This thick enough?

37-panasonic-toughbook.jpg

/sarcasm

Also, obligatory "that's what she said".

Back on topic, people want portability. Laptops aren't made for gaming. You can get a more powerful desktop for less. If you already have a good desktop, there's no point in getting the most powerful laptop out there. Just one powerful enough, but portable.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

All I want is a notebook that is super thin, touchscreen, detachable tablet, with more graphics horsepower than CPU.

u living in lala land ? or do u want it to also cook ur steak

Problem is not enough people want them. Most who use/purchase a laptop, either need something light and portable or something powerful (think gaming laptops) that is also portable. The mid range thick notebook is usually not all that powerful and not all that lightweight. It doesn't help that many people will base purchasing decisions on looks, and the midrange thick laptop is rather ugly.

Yeah. Blame the craze for thin/light tech. Laptops are entering another realm of soldered-everything in a quest for "thin". Heat be damned, you'll buy a new one in a year or two and without any choice for laptops that won't do this, you're forced to live with it or live without it.

I was about to come in and say "you're not the only one" myself but then I realized he just has some bloody sense and isn't asking about gaming machines myself. It brings a tear to my eye when I see someone with a good eye for quality *sniff*

Back on topic, people want portability. Laptops aren't made for gaming. You can get a more powerful desktop for less. If you already have a good desktop, there's no point in getting the most powerful laptop out there. Just one powerful enough, but portable.

1 - Just because something is a bit thick or weighs 7 pounds doesn't mean it's not portable. There is no desktop on the planet, I do not care how small you make your mITX builds, that you can shove a keyboard, mouse, monitor, system case, speakers and wifi card, into a backpack and walk. It does not happen. That is why laptops exist. What people REALLY WANT is their bags to weigh as little as possible. Back in the 90s when people only had super thick laptops, people DEALT WITH THE WEIGHT. Nobody was complaining that it's too thick and they need something thinner or else. But now it's suddenly a problem, but only because people already know the tech exists for super thin machines. There is a huge difference.between the few people who honestly NEED something very small for traveling purposes (like my sister, who has back problems and cannot carry much weight to university, but needs to take books and her netbook) and the people who just really hate lifting more than about 3 pounds.

2 - Laptops are made for gaming. Or they were. The number of them being produced for gaming is rapidly shrinking. If you don't care about gaming on a laptop, that's fine. That's your deal, and nobody will blame you for it. There are people who do like, want, choose and sometimes need to do it. Yes you can get a more powerful desktop for less. Much less, sometimes. That's the fault of Intel and nVidia and other manufacturers who overprice the laptop hardware, more than anyone else. But some people have merit or need for the mobility and want power that is easy to travel with. Also, you are taking something SERIOUSLY for granted. That everybody has an exceedingly powerful desktop and then chooses to buy a laptop just as strong. I don't have a desktop. Lots of users with high end laptops have the high end laptops because a desktop is not something they can adequately fit into their current lifestyle. I would never tell someone without a ridiculous boatload of money to get a fully powered laptop when they have a solid gaming desktop. In fact, I would much more likely suggest something midrange to them, not only to save money, but because they don't need to play everything at super mega ultra settings on the road when they're coming home to do it.

But for the love of meowmix... even though it's already too late and enthusiast gaming laptops are all but dead... stop thinking like they're not meant for gaming. It's not true.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

-/-

I should rephrase, laptops aren't totally suitable for gaming, just like a super car can't do that well off-road.

Also, I said " If you already have a good desktop, there's no point in getting the most powerful laptop out there." . Otherwise, if your laptop were your only machine, then yes, I would get a powerful one.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I should rephrase, laptops aren't totally suitable for gaming, just like a super car can't do that well off-road.

But you're still doing it. I have an overclockable CPU with two overclockable GPUs. I don't have Optimus. I can use downsampling through the old nVidia method (not DSR). I have a 120Hz internal screen. Hell I have a 3D vision emitter here. I keep the machine cool when under any kind of possible workload. It was, without a doubt, designed to be a gaming machine. My CPU is no more or less upgrade-able than the socked 1150 desktop CPUs. My GPUs are upgrade-able for the most part (I do need a BIOS update to get new ones, but we do have a well-known BIOS modder called Prema who takes care of that for us).

I mean... I can't get more "gaming" than that.

It just can't hit the absolute power that a desktop can with something like three 970s or three 980s. But most peoples' gaming machines with a single 970 or single 980 etc? Easy to either get very close to that with single GPU or totally tear it to shreds with dual GPU.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

A little bit of experience in logistics makes me wonder if thinner product with thinner packaging would save some cost in shipping.

Doesn't mean much for us consumers maybe, but for distributors every little bit adds up. Boxes getting smaller every year.

A little bit of experience in logistics makes me wonder if thinner product with thinner packaging would save some cost in shipping.

Doesn't mean much for us consumers maybe, but for distributors every little bit adds up. Boxes getting smaller every year.

It doesn't make much difference. The packaging still needs to be thick or there's risk of damaging, and beyond a certain size, they bill by dimensional weight instead of actual weight, so the benefits of being "light" are ignored entirely.

It doesn't make much difference. The packaging still needs to be thick or there's risk of damaging, and beyond a certain size, they bill by dimensional weight instead of actual weight, so the benefits of being "light" are ignored entirely.

Yes, dimensional weight. I bought my first laptop in 2003, as well as many other things way back from the 90's. Boxes got smaller, as if they challenge each other on how thin the padding can go.

22" monitor from 10 years ago has much larger box than today's 24" monitor, for example.

But I believe the main reason would be trend. Like how phones are getting larger and larger.

This thick enough?

37-panasonic-toughbook.jpg

For me yes, actually.  I am currently working in Mongolia and can use all the durability I can get.  I wouldn't mind a thicker heavier laptop if it came with an increase in durability.  I would love something that can take a few bumps and bruises and still work.  I'm not a gamer so super high end power is not what I need.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has five different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salted sheep heads

For me yes, actually.  I am currently working in Mongolia and can use all the durability I can get.  I wouldn't mind a thicker heavier laptop if it came with an increase in durability.  I would love something that can take a few bumps and bruises and still work.  I'm not a gamer so super high end power is not what I need.

Iv'e been to mongolia, that place is harsh

What about a Panasonic toughbook or sometihng

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I did look into the Panasonic tough book but it was out of my price range sadly.  I'd love to see a durable laptop around 1,000 USD that would fit my needs and I would buy it in a heart beat.

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has five different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salted sheep heads

I did look into the Panasonic tough book but it was out of my price range sadly.  I'd love to see a durable laptop around 1,000 USD that would fit my needs and I would buy it in a heart beat.

You're looking for "good" and you're not willing to pay for "good". This is the problem. For your budget the thinkpads are about all you can get.

True in terms of durability I did not have a high enough budget this time around, but the durability of a Lenovo (had I know they existed at the time) would have suited my purposes.

$1000 is not much for a decent laptop anyway, it will definitely cost more for a durable one

You're looking for "good" and you're not willing to pay for "good". This is the problem. For your budget the thinkpads are about all you can get.

This exactly

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I belive the thin laptops are more targeted to people who dont realise that thin laptops run hotter and want a cooler looking laptop