Am i the only person in the world that wants a thicker ,cooler laptop ?

qwertywarrior

I belive the thin laptops are more targeted to people who dont realise that thin laptops run hotter and want a cooler looking laptop

They are targeted at people who actually have to carry stuff, for most people the laptops will not be thermal throttling and will not have masive heat issues, mostly thats just thin gaming laptops

I still WANT a thin light laptop, and would sacrifice performance, after lugging my m18x around for 2 years, im fed up of the thing no matter how powerful it is, i just cannot face carrying it anywhere

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They are targeted at people who actually have to carry stuff, for most people the laptops will not be thermal throttling and will not have masive heat issues, mostly thats just thin gaming laptops

I still WANT a thin light laptop, and would sacrifice performance, after lugging my m18x around for 2 years, im fed up of the thing no matter how powerful it is, i just cannot face carrying it anywhere

Bingo.... and I agree a thin laptop would make getting everything into my bag a lot easier.  Its just in my current situation bigger is better

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has five different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salted sheep heads

Bingo.... and I agree a thin laptop would make getting everything into my bag a lot easier.  Its just in my current situation bigger is better

Which is fair enough it depends on how the person uses it

My M18x was bought because I wanted a portable desktop - it did this job exceptionally well, but now I have a decent desktop, the fact its so heavy is a massive bitch

Since i can get a 13-15" sub 2cm thick <2kg laptop with 970m - it seems the best option for portability, and still decent amounts of power for editing and gaming

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There is really no such thing as a "cooler" laptop. Thinner designs, as long as the radiator is around the same size, dissipate heat quicker than larger, thicker laptops, which have a much smaller surface area to volume ratio. As a result, heat dissipation through conduction AND convection is greater. Since the heat you feel is from the exothermic release from the laptop system, you feel warmer because the laptop is dissipating heat more quickly in your direction. Technically, a cooler laptop tends to be a thinner one, all other factors equal. 

That being said, some laptops definitely try to cram too much in while simultaneously pushing in terms of graphics power. And thinner gaming laptops are actually more from high-end manufacturers who use high-end components, so there is a bias towards higher temps sometimes. 

I belive the thin laptops are more targeted to people who dont realise that thin laptops run hotter and want a cooler looking laptop

Nah. That's just who buys them the most. People who don't care about performance just go for the thinnest, lightest thing in most instances these days.

Normal thin laptops have throttling and heat issues like crazy. They just don't show up in facebook browsing or youtube browsing etc, so people don't think about it.

Stop before I ask you for the laptop for parts swapping and to otherwise have another machine =O

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Honestly, I'd rather an uber monster than a (litteral) paperweight. I've had far too much experience with people trying to make devices small, and, thus, killing them.

Heat, noise, battery life and performance are all more important to me than size or weight.

Stop before I ask you for the laptop for parts swapping and to otherwise have another machine =O

selling it soon :P

although there is a kit to upgrade it to 980ms :D but fuck that

selling it soon :P

although there is a kit to upgrade it to 980ms :D but fuck that

It won't work right with 900M. I guarantee you that.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

It won't work right with 900M. I guarantee you that.

seems ok here

ANYWAY I want to sell it, because i want sometihng lighter,.. so yeah

Nah. That's just who buys them the most. People who don't care about performance just go for the thinnest, lightest thing in most instances these days.

Normal thin laptops have throttling and heat issues like crazy. They just don't show up in facebook browsing or youtube browsing etc, so people don't think about it.

Put me in that crowd.  I don't really do anything that stresses the laptop like high end gaming or anything.  The most I do is have lots of tabs and programs open at once on occasion

Me- I feel like a secret agent man, as my wallet now has five different currencies in it

Me- It has come to my attention that it is impossible to buy liver in Mongolia because it is bad, but it is perfectly ok to buy salted sheep heads

ANYWAY I want to sell it, because i want sometihng lighter,.. so yeah

Oh believe me... that's THERE. Sometimes if your system load pulls over a certain amount they throttle like crazy, and you have to hack the second fan, and overclocking them is all but worthless as they usually break for no reason. If I didn't sit in the M18x/AW18 forums on NBR for three months watching everybody try real hard to get them working perfectly, I would not be fighting it down hard for people to not do it.

Also, watch the CPU. See how certain cores throttle to ~1200MHz at random intervals? It ONLY happens with the Maxwell GPUs. That's something we noticed as a trend that doesn't happen with Kepler cards or on the Clevos.

Put me in that crowd.  I don't really do anything that stresses the laptop like high end gaming or anything.  The most I do is have lots of tabs and programs open at once on occasion

Yeah. And that's fine for you, but it doesn't mean the machines don't have inherent design problems. It's like a vehicle that explodes if you pass 100 miles per hour. If you always top out at 80 miles per hour, you'll never have it explode, but it doesn't mean that the car lacks the fault. Understand?

My problem is that people should stop selling machines designed to fail WITHIN their design spec (I.E. don't put a high end part in a machine that's not designed to properly use that part) and should make machines that are fully designed to work in the spec they sell, even if it means weaker parts need to be put in. An i7 is a nice and good chip I'm not gonna blame that... but if a laptop is only designed to use it at 60% capacity, then you might as well put a chip that maxes at the i7's 60% capacity, or fix the machine to use it at 100% capacity. Unrealistic loads (like running Prime95 and Linpack) aside, a machine should do everything you could realistically ask it to at the full potential of its internal parts.

I remember my friend had a friend with an HP, and he was using that friend's laptop for a school project in Adobe Premiere Pro. His CPU was throttling to about 800MHz all the time whenever he tried to use the preview window or anything, so I gave him Throttlestop to force his i7 to the 3.3GHz it's supposed to be at. What happened? CPU hit 101 degrees in TWO MINUTES and then throttled to 30MHz (0.03GHz) and sat there painfully until he managed to force the PC to restart. Know what that is? A bad laptop. There is no arguement. It's a bad laptop.

Get RVZ02

Install some parts

Get screen thingy

Mount screen thingy to a panel same size as the RVZ02

Install panel with high friction hinges

Add some power via battery or just 1 cable going to wall

AND YOU HAVE

a portable desktop that'll work just like a desktop pc.

overclocking

cooling

no thermal throttling

-All in a SUPER ghetto-looking package!

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Oh believe me... that's THERE. Sometimes if your system load pulls over a certain amount they throttle like crazy, and you have to hack the second fan, and overclocking them is all but worthless as they usually break for no reason. If I didn't sit in the M18x/AW18 forums on NBR for three months watching everybody try real hard to get them working perfectly, I would not be fighting it down hard for people to not do it.

Also, watch the CPU. See how certain cores throttle to ~1200MHz at random intervals? It ONLY happens with the Maxwell GPUs. That's something we noticed as a trend that doesn't happen with Kepler cards or on the Clevos.

Yeah. And that's fine for you, but it doesn't mean the machines don't have inherent design problems. It's like a vehicle that explodes if you pass 100 miles per hour. If you always top out at 80 miles per hour, you'll never have it explode, but it doesn't mean that the car lacks the fault. Understand?

My problem is that people should stop selling machines designed to fail WITHIN their design spec (I.E. don't put a high end part in a machine that's not designed to properly use that part) and should make machines that are fully designed to work in the spec they sell, even if it means weaker parts need to be put in. An i7 is a nice and good chip I'm not gonna blame that... but if a laptop is only designed to use it at 60% capacity, then you might as well put a chip that maxes at the i7's 60% capacity, or fix the machine to use it at 100% capacity. Unrealistic loads (like running Prime95 and Linpack) aside, a machine should do everything you could realistically ask it to at the full potential of its internal parts.

I remember my friend had a friend with an HP, and he was using that friend's laptop for a school project in Adobe Premiere Pro. His CPU was throttling to about 800MHz all the time whenever he tried to use the preview window or anything, so I gave him Throttlestop to force his i7 to the 3.3GHz it's supposed to be at. What happened? CPU hit 101 degrees in TWO MINUTES and then throttled to 30MHz (0.03GHz) and sat there painfully until he managed to force the PC to restart. Know what that is? A bad laptop. There is no arguement. It's a bad laptop.

I agree with you on that especially if it makes the laptop cheaper, however I don't want to have run my laptop at full throttle to just to do what I need to do.

I agree with you on that especially if it makes the laptop cheaper, however I don't want to have run my laptop at full throttle to just to do what I need to do.

You probably won't need to. But the point is that the market needs to stop touting the idea that a 1" thick machine is a suitable variant of a 3" thick machine. It is not, and it never will be, because of the laws of physics.

If a GPU architecture die 500nm² in size can perform at say... 2 Gigapixels rendering per second, that's cool. Let's call that "Jenkins".

Let's say tech advances and now a 50nm² die can do 2 Gigapixels rendering per second. Let's call that "Texil". What happens if that tech is tossed into a 500nm² size die?

A 500nm² die of Texil will tear 500nm² of Jenkins to shreds. This is why no matter how much better/efficient/etc GPUs and CPUs and tech in general gets, it ALWAYS remains pretty large.

If I design Texil to emulate the full power of Jenkins in such a small form factor, that's all well and good, but that's wasting the potential of Texil if I make the largest die to be 50nm² because Jenkins' full power is all we needed at the time.

Sure, we get Jenkins' power in a tiny form factor (which can be fairly easily cooled etc) and then let's say.. a smartphone gets the ability to crunch graphics like a fully fledged computer. But then what? We get thin, we get light, but we've not advanced.

The point is that thin/light/small/badly-cooled/midrange/etc machines SHOULD stick with the midrange. We should shoot for the moon then adapt the lower end models.

But there came a problem. Maxwell is too cool. It's so cool that people with decent machines have to literally run furmark to see as much as 80 degrees. So now we have manufacturers trying to shove those things into super thin laptops. And now we have an audience who thinks that the "I'll only use 60% so I'll take a terrible notebook" is a good idea. This is a huge problem, and it's even further reinforced by the fact that people have been defending these things >_>.

We're going to end up in a state where everything is a race for thin and light in the notebook market. I can't help but feel it'll stunt the advancements in tech for the market, and that's just terrible to think about for me. In fact, it's already happening.