Nikon D5200 Worth It?

I can get one for €475, yes or no? I am looking for a DSLR and this seems like a pretty good option. If you think something else would be better for my use (both pictures and video, a little bit more video than pictures but not that much more) then suggest away if it's the same price.

Thanks in advance!

i'm a potato

Body only or with lens(es)?

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

If the D5300 is fairly close by price then get it.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Body only or with lens(es)?

With the 18mm-55mm kit lens.

If the D5300 is fairly close by price then get it.

The D5300 is €595 which is more than I'd like to spend.

i'm a potato

Is it new? If so that seems to be about on par with how it's priced here. It's a pretty good camera, especially if you're just starting out :)

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Is it new? If so that seems to be about on par with how it's priced here. It's a pretty good camera, especially if you're just starting out :)

Yes, it is the price for a new one, I would get a used one but I can't find any that look good and/or ship to Portugal. amazon.es had a sweet deal on a refurb one but it didn't ship to Portugal unfortunately, it was the body + kit lens for less than €400...

i'm a potato

It is a good camera (I have one), although it does depend on your uses.  There are better cameras for the money, however if it is on sale then go ahead and get it.

sold

I got a D5200 with 2 lenses for 600 CAD. It was one of the best purchases I've made.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

It is a good camera (I have one), although it does depend on your uses.  There are better cameras for the money, however if it is on sale then go ahead and get it.

What other cameras? Suggestions are always welcome! :)

i'm a potato

I'm pretty sure you can find alot of used D7000/D7100 around for that price

I'm pretty sure you can find alot of used D7000/D7100 around for that price

Unfortunately that is not the case, Portugal is like the Sahara Desert of used cameras. There are basically none that are actually from Portugal (I couldn't find a camera at a decent price at least) so then I have ebay.co.uk, where it's all a long list of items from Hong-Kong that would either never arrive or magically transform into a wood slab mid transportation, and amazon refurb products from Spain and the UK, where I can find some but they either don't ship to Portugal (amazon.es had a D5200 for less than €400 but they didn't ship it here) or they are much more expensive (the D7000/D7100, the D5200 is either more expensive than a new one or it's slightly cheaper before shipping, after including shipping the price is either way too similar, -€5 difference, or higher). 

i'm a potato

Oh really, I wouldn't of thought portugal would be that hard for shippers etc. :(

Try http://www.ebay.com/sch/henrys.com/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from

It's a Canadian photo company, I'm pretty sure they sell their used stuff all over the world, and is a really reliable company, one of only few that will show all signs of wear, actuations if they can get it.

hope it helps. :(

Oh, and BTW, amazon now has the D5200 new for €419, but it only restocks april 2nd. This is probably what I'll get.

i'm a potato

Oh really, I wouldn't of thought portugal would be that hard for shippers etc. :(

Try http://www.ebay.com/sch/henrys.com/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from

It's a Canadian photo company, I'm pretty sure they sell their used stuff all over the world, and is a really reliable company, one of only few that will show all signs of wear, actuations if they can get it.

hope it helps. :(

Shipping is crazy expensive and IDK if there would be additional import taxes... Yay import taxes and oceans between countries! A D7000 would be €614 after shipping which is more than what I can spend.

i'm a potato

Oh, is it, then ya get the restock d5200 sounds like a good price.

Oh, is it, then ya get the restock d5200 sounds like a good price.

Yup, camera + UHS-1 16GB SanDisk SD Card + cheap tripod for the same price as the camera on the other website, I love amazon...

i'm a potato

im shooting on a d40 this is basicly the younger brother of it and my d40 can pull stuff like this. 

14799959718_5446779c00_b.jpg

AE86 downtown-04 by nexxusimg, on Flickr

so if its quality you are concerned about don't be it will do a damn good job.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

im shooting on a d40 this is basicly the younger brother of it and my d40 can pull stuff like this. 

snip

AE86 downtown-04 by nexxusimg, on Flickr

so if its quality you are concerned about don't be it will do a damn good job.

Wow, nice pic!

i'm a potato

Wow, nice pic!

Thank you, this is after years of practice though my stuff from my 1st year is frankly crap lol. So dont get discouraged if this is your 1st camera. it will do some nice work with practice I can promise that. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Thank you, this is after years of practice though my stuff from my 1st year is frankly crap lol. So dont get discouraged if this is your 1st camera. it will do some nice work with practice I can promise that. 

Not my first camera but one that will allow me to improve quite a lot. I currently have a 400D and from time to time I do shoot with it but since I have no accessories for it like a tripod I mostly shoot when I go on trips or stuff like that. I also do experiments with it, play with the settings, try different effects, etc. I hope this camera will allow me to do a bit more, it's a better camera and it also has video capabilities unlike the 400D, which will allow me to hopefully get into that somewhat. I chose the D5200 because no other camera makes as much sense. People always say to go Canon for video, but the equivalent of the D5200 price wise is the T5i/700D, which is actually a little bit pricier and has sensor that preforms worse under low light.

i'm a potato

also note, lens are what cost most of the money.

I do plan to get either a 35mm f1.8 or a 50mm f1.8 in the near future so I have something other than the kit lens. It will take a few months but by October I should get it.

i'm a potato

If you are going thast route it might be cheaper, im not sure for portugal to buy a D5200 body only and a AF-s 50mm 1.8

If you are going thast route it might be cheaper, im not sure for portugal to buy a D5200 body only and a AF-s 50mm 1.8

It's actually not even though it seems weird... Body only is more expensive than body+kit lens on amazon for some reason, and the body only from Portuguese retailers is the same price as the body+kit lens on amazon, so I'd rather get the kit lens that's a zoom and get a prime later, I still haven't decided which focal length to go for, not sure if I should get a 50mm or go with the slightly more convenient 35mm. 

i'm a potato