GTX 970 Owners Club

can you make a stock voltage 0 % fan as minimum please for g1 970

updated original post, 1.212v bios made

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Hi all,

Late to the party, however very much enjoying my new Gigabyte G1 970 (Elpida memory, Old mid tower case, open side, average airflow)

Have copied over the 1.3volt bios setting into my own, however the card does not go higher than 1.275 (I did double check all settings, and that I was using correct bios as master to copy from).

I am also wondering if anyone can help with a few queries?

My stable core without artefacts in Witcher 3 (358.87) is 1560, does not appear to matter if I fiddle with +volt +power limits etc in afterburner - Is this an expected result for the bios mod and card?

Fire strike (and only fire strike) appears to throttle down GPU to ~1350-1400 core, an only a restart will restore the overclocked core (games do not have this effect).  Is this normal? GFX score is same as stock card (~12200)

Cheers!

Hi all,

Late to the party, however very much enjoying my new Gigabyte G1 970 (Elpida memory, Old mid tower case, open side, average airflow)

Have copied over the 1.3volt bios setting into my own, however the card does not go higher than 1.275 (I did double check all settings, and that I was using correct bios as master to copy from).

I am also wondering if anyone can help with a few queries?

My stable core without artefacts in Witcher 3 (358.87) is 1560, does not appear to matter if I fiddle with +volt +power limits etc in afterburner - Is this an expected result for the bios mod and card?

Fire strike (and only fire strike) appears to throttle down GPU to ~1350-1400 core, an only a restart will restore the overclocked core (games do not have this effect).  Is this normal? GFX score is same as stock card (~12200)

Cheers!

Definetly not normal, you must of copied something wrong, also GPU-z will only show upto 1.275v due to limitations on the sensor in the voltage controller in reality you are getting 1.3v.

What are your temps also, It shouldn't throttle in FS.

Also no the bios overrides voltage control to the card, taking user error out of the question and making it super straight forward for users.

You still have full control over TDP though.

Oooo, that 1.312v BIOS caught my eye. Is it worth trying it on air? I mean the scaling past the 1.26v mark is awful but if I can get a few more MHz out my card I'd give it a bash

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

Nice. What BIOS are you using?

One that I got from the OCN forums, and then modified myself.  1.275v, 1531 base clock, 3700 memory clock, 310 watt TDP and 310 watt power limit.  120 from each 6 pin and 80 from the PCIe slot.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Definetly not normal, you must of copied something wrong, also GPU-z will only show upto 1.275v due to limitations on the sensor in the voltage controller in reality you are getting 1.3v.

What are your temps also, It shouldn't throttle in FS.

Also no the bios overrides voltage control to the card, taking user error out of the question and making it super straight forward for users.

You still have full control over TDP though.

Ok, did another FS run and it did not appear to throttle however score seems limited (and was artifacting...). Max temp 63 DegC

stuff.png

Would anyone like to have a look at my bios to see what the issue could be?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByTZgx00c15BRTJBTnNsWmMtdGM

Ok, did another FS run and it did not appear to throttle however score seems limited (and was artifacting...). Max temp 63 DegC

stuff.png

Would anyone like to have a look at my bios to see what the issue could be?

Open up the sensors tab in GPUz for your benchmark run, and watch the perf cap reason.  If you see green, your power limit isn't set high enough.

Just looked at your bios file.  Raise the TDP to match the power limit.

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

Open up the sensors tab in GPUz for your benchmark run, and watch the perf cap reason.  If you see green, your power limit isn't set high enough.

Just looked at your bios file.  Raise the TDP to match the power limit.

Sorry for being a tard, is the TDP the listings within the Power Table?

Top table.  Yours is set to 250 / 250, if I recall correctly.

OlJ76Lz.png

BA43ans.png

Is it safe to assume that I am not to changes all the other table settings?

(they appear much higher values than OP's bios')

Edit - Changed the TDP (top table). Still minor artifacts in TW3 @ 1563 (+171 offset in afterburner).

Any ideas? or just limitation of this card?

I looked your bios over, and that was the only thing that stood out to me immediately.

Edit - Changed the TDP (top table). Still minor artifacts in TW3 @ 1563 (+171 offset in afterburner).

Any ideas? or just limitation of this card?

What's GPUz sensors tab showing for max voltage reached during the run, and what's the perf cap reason saying..if anything?

What's GPUz sensors tab showing for max voltage reached during the run, and what's the perf cap reason saying..if anything?

Capture_1.png

Thats TW3 loaded & minimised. 62-63 DegC during extended play

Vop...you need more voltage for the clock you're trying to run.  

What's the ASIC quality on your card?

Vop...you need more voltage for the clock you're trying to run.  

What's the ASIC quality on your card?

Capture_2.png

Seems to be a bit on the average side?

It's ok.  I would have thought you could get more core out of it than you're getting, though, with the voltage that the card is running under load.  

What card is this?

It's ok.  I would have thought you could get more core out of it than you're getting, though, with the voltage that the card is running under load.  

What card is this?

Gigabyte G1 Gaming.

(poor) Luck of the draw then huh? It is still a good step up from my sli 660's :)

Gigabyte G1 Gaming.

(poor) Luck of the draw then huh? It is still a good step up from my sli 660's :)

Honestly...for gaming, I'd back the core off to about 1530ish and then bring the memory clock up to about 1900 or 1950.  

So, am I allowed to make a 980 Ti owners club?

I consider this a maxwell owners club since honestly they're all the same.

Capture_2.png

Seems to be a bit on the average side?

I have a Gigabyte G1 Gaming with Samsung memory.

My ASIC is 67%.  Mine overclocked to 1574MHz that boost to 1659MHz. Memory set at 4131. Using Gofspar's 1.3v bios

I run mine 24/7 1605MHz boost on GPU & 4000MHz on the memory. Using Gofspar's 1.262v bios

So I think that the ASIC really doesn't mean that much.

Capture_1.jpg

GPUZ.jpg

I have a Gigabyte G1 Gaming with Samsung memory.

My ASIC is 67%.  Mine overclocked to 1574MHz that boost to 1659MHz. Memory set at 4131. Using Gofspar's 1.3v bios

I run mine 24/7 1605MHz boost on GPU & 4000MHz on the memory. Using Gofspar's 1.262v bios

Capture_1.jpg

GPUZ.jpg

open your GPU-z sensor tab while playing a game and screen shot it, I wana see this thing in action

You thought wrong

open your GPU-z sensor tab while playing a game and screen shot it, I wana see this thing in action

I'm not sure if I can game at 1649mhz, as I haven't tried that. but it is stable in both Valley & Firestrike.

But hey I'll give it a go LOL