DirectX 12 reported performance gains of up to 50%

In April of last year, bgr.com posted an article[1] that reported "the same hardware will suddenly see a doubling of performance[2]" with the new DX12 API. It seems these rumors have partially come out as true. Today, Phil spencer, Head of Microsoft's Xbox division, announced

"What we've done with directx12 is we've given developers much more fine control of CPU and GPU, giving them direct control, and for CPU-Bound games, this will actually increase the performance of those games by up to 50%". [3]

Not quite doubling performance, but I think this could have a pretty big impact on the Xbox One in addition to PC's. Xbox One has about 29% less raw graphics performance (in TFLOPS)[4] than the PS4, but if DirectX12 can manage to reach half of the possible performance gains in CPU-bound games (25% increase) then it may bring the Xbox One neck-and-neck with the PS4. Could we see a repeat of how the Xbox 360 and PS3 were graphically matched, but it took the whole generation for developers to figure out how to code on the PS3, except this time Microsoft is left behind? 

Souces:

1 - http://bgr.com/2014/04/07/xbox-one-directx-12-update/

2 - http://www.neowin.net/news/directx-12-a-game-changer-for-xbox-one

3 - CNET's Youtube account - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8LYzWxpfI8 @ 1:48:22

4 - http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_vs._Wii_U_Comparison_Chart

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

except this time Microsoft is left behind?

Wouldn't this have them ahead or at least neck and neck though, that is if the API is exclusive to Xbox One on the subject of the consoles?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I believe this less than that one NVIDIA driver...

As if today's AAA devs actually try to optimize things....

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

mantle said the same thing... turns out it was a lot less...

but we can hope.

I wont be hoping though. because my 6950's dont support DX12 :( sigh

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Can't wait to see the first DX12 games especially Star Citizen.
This should hold my GPU afloat till Pascal releases.

RTX2070OC 

They lied up to 50%.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Nope, DirectX12 won't really do anything for the Xbox. Developers already have full control on draw calls, CPU, GPU and optimization. It'll just be Microsoft "Mantle" that's all you should expect.

I swear I saw another post just like this when DX11 promised increases like this.

There we're none.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

mantle said the same thing... turns out it was a lot less...

but we can hope.

I wont be hoping though. because my 6950's dont support DX12 :( sigh

The increases are in cpu bound scenarios, its not going to magically double your fps all the time. The biggest gain will be to minimum framerate, not average framerate. When I had my 280x I got massive improvement in minimum framerate in bf4 when using mantle compared to dx11. dx11 had awful frequent fps drops to 40-50 fps on some maps (such as seige of shanghai) regardless of video settings, with mantle I could play 60+ fps at all times, made it feel a ton smoother overall without those drops.

That's probably the single absolute best case scenario. In most games we'll probably see a 20% gain at best.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

50% seems really high I'd say 15% at best if we're lucky, remember they have to do some solid marketing to target mantle and convince to capitalize on it.

Wouldn't this have them ahead or at least neck and neck though, that is if the API is exclusive to Xbox One on the subject of the consoles?

The idea is that because DX12 is coming out over a year after the console's release, developers won't learn how to take advantage of the new API in a timely fashion.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Could we see a repeat of how the Xbox 360 and PS4 were graphically matched, but it took the whole generation for developers to figure out how to code on the PS3, except this time Microsoft is left behind? 

Xbox 360 and PS4 graphically matched? You are going to anger all those peasants..... 

Edit: Although..... I do suppose garbage and higher quality garbage is pretty similar...............

Xbox 360 and PS4 graphically matched? You are going to anger all those peasants..... 

Edit: Although..... I do suppose garbage and higher quality garbage is pretty similar...............

Woah, missed that error. fixed now.

Didn't they show a demo which showed off an extra 100,000 draw calls at double the frame rate?

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Didn't they show a demo which showed off an extra 100,000 draw calls at double the frame rate?

Yep:

We will probably see a 3DMark DX12 benchmark this year.

RTX2070OC 

I will only believe these claims once I see quantitative data and an independent analysis of DX12 - i.e. a video from Linus or Logan, etc. The key phrase here is the claim made by MS's head of console peasantry, Phil Spencer, of "up to 50%" - this will probably be true for a number of select, well optimised games, with emphasis on minimum framerate (as mentioned above - @bwat47). To be honest, a lot of this "performance improvement" stuff gets blown out of proportion with hype (which MS is not a stranger to) and we will probably see a similar outcome, as per Mantle.

I think MS's hidden agenda here is console peasant gaming. I believe they are just updating DX to create the persona that they are still committed to "supporting" the #pcmasterrace. When in reality, bias towards the #pcmasterrace would cannibalize the revenue generating capability of its console peasant division (CPD) which, MS has invested heavily in.

While it is great to see MS improving its DX platform, I am more interested in variable refresh rate monitors at the moment. Propogation of this technology amongst panel manufacturers is going well and should provide a better gaming experience for the entire #pcmasterrace.

Xbone is less cpu bound than ps4, so it will remain shite.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

OpenGL offers more performance gain than DirectX would ever have. 

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

I believe this less than that one NVIDIA driver...

They already are for the most part. They are limited by stagnated cpu/gpu tech. Developers only have so much horsepower to work with. Can't make a prius drive down the autobahn as 300 miles per hour if you get what I mean.

Why does everybody judge the industry according to Ubisoft's games, just because they had 3 games with stuttering issues in 2014 we should not condemn the entire inudstry..

The majority of AAA titles work smoothly and look good at 1080p on performance-midrange hardware from both AMD and Nvidia.

He can say it will improve up top 50% but unless we are shown that is true, I don't believe it.

They lied up to 50%.

:lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

The statement is non-technical in nature and therefore open to interpretation.

What is going to improve by 50%. Is it minimum framerate in CPU bound screnarios? Is it average framerate? Is it another metric such as draw calls?

It's not an unrealistic claim as we have seen that Mantle can make a huge difference in cases where there are a lot of units on screen creating a CPU-bottleneck. Example check out the below minimum framerates on a high end i7-3960X CPU. This is an actual game, if Microsoft is using synthetic metrics they can probably get even bigger gains.

be-25-fps.png

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Civilization-Beyond-Earth-Performance-Maxwell-vs-Hawaii-DX11-vs-Mantle/2560x1

COME on, :( i hope some game will get a update to add DX12 am chating about skyrim, so i can mods more out of you