Which headphones to get for gaming?

CameronUK

As above, I'm looking into getting some headphones for gaming and just general music listening.

Today I received my IE80s, and they're pretty good, although they're now showing how bad my audio equipment is. Enough of that though. 

I bought some Steelseries Siberia Elites, and they were rubbish. Horrible headband meant they didn't sit on my head properly and stopped a proper seal from forming, I sent them back and I'm now looking to replace them. I've been looking at Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm (I've got a E07K to power them) and the DT770 Pro. I've owned a pair of Custom One Pros before, but I managed to break both drivers 3 times before I sent them back and then replaced with some HD8 DJs. The COP had a nominal sound pressure of 96 dB which is the same as their other headphones I'm looking at. The HD8 DJs are well over 110 dB I believe. Now, I'm very much an amateur when it comes to headphones, but does the SPL demonstrate how good the drivers are at coping with sound pressure (the higher the better they are at handling bass)? If so, are the 990s are 770s likely to break?

In terms of sound - I'm very much a bass head, but enjoy tight punchy bass. The COP had really nice smooth bass and I liked that I could change it. I don't know whether I'd prefer open vs closed. My computer does get pretty loud, and I have a younger brother and sister, however the Elites above had a very closed sound when I pushed them against my head and they sealed properly and I didn't like it. I couldn't pick out where sounds were coming from. I had some HyperX Clouds but sent them back because the mic didn't work, and Amazon UK don't stock them anymore. I liked them, but not enough bass. The first pair I had blew because I used a bass booster on the E07K.

Just some (hopefully) helpful info.

Budget of 110 GBP ish for headphones/headset from Amazon preferably as I have prime. I'll be getting the zalman mic for headphones. Will be ordering tonight.

Comfort is very important!

Your profile picture... reminded me of another... No, it can't be...

People have said that before, and just to clarify I'm not.

Got your back bro!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT990-PRO-Headset-250-Noir/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418833610&sr=8-1&keywords=dt990

Have you got an amp? 

or does the mobo have an amp? 

Dt990 pro's for £108 it's like the best!

Looked at them, and yes I have an amp. Just worried about how strong the drivers are as I blow drivers (that sounds very wrong) very easily.

How are M50x's for 111?

Looked at them, and yes I have an amp. Just worried about how strong the drivers are as I blow drivers (that sounds very wrong) very easily.

How are M50x's for 111?

I would choose the DT990 instead of the M50X. They are more comfortable. On the other hand the M50X are more efficient. 

How are M50x's for 111?

How did you blow the drivers up? 

Get the DT990 like @theodoro says above. 

"Use the force Harry" 

-Gandalf

Too much bass. 

My biggest problem is open vs closed. Outside my bedroom window is a main road, and soon I'll be off to uni. How bad is isolation with the 990s? I didn't think they were fully open, rather mid way between.

Too much bass. 

My biggest problem is open vs closed. Outside my bedroom window is a main road, and soon I'll be off to uni. How bad is isolation with the 990s? I didn't think they were fully open, rather mid way between.

It's not really that bad, once you listen to music you don't really notice things unless it's in your room.

IE: Someone saying "hey dude what are you doing"

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The DT990 is more boomy bass than punchy. Orthos give the best punchy bass but not sure you can get one in that price range. Check how much Hifiman HE400s are but I think they might be too expensive for you. 

Well if all you need is a pair of closed headphone, then HD8DJ should do the job. But if you do want an open pair, HE-400 or DT990 should do the job in terms of bass.

All hell break loose bassy headphone would be LCD-2 and PM-1 :D

HD8 DJs are far too tight and uncomfortable for long gaming periods. 

Bought the DT990s in the end. Hopefully they're good :)

HD8 DJs are far too tight and uncomfortable for long gaming periods. 

Bought the DT990s in the end. Hopefully they're good :)

In my opinion it's a great choice. I still prefer them for gaming than any other headphones that i've tried. 

It's something about that almost-boomy-but-detailed-bass that gives a more atmospheric feel to games & movies. 

Thanks all. Arriving today so hopefully I like them :) I was using my Bose IE2 (bought them because they are THE most comfortable IEMs/headphones) and they're a semi-open design. Apart from the muddy and muffled sound, I like the openness of them. 

And.... The left driver is broken. God awful quality from Beyer yet again.

This is what it sounds like https://soundcloud.com/mrrockliffe/beyer-dt990-pro-sound-test

Too bad. If only you've tried the HE400, you'll pay for the price difference. It's $250, bundled with a headphone case. 

In term of bass quality, I've yet to find a dynamic driver headphone that on par with orthos...

I simply didn't have the money. 120 is what I had in my bank, and I needed 6 for the mic.